Boxing Fans?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:38 pm
Yes, it's planned for Pacquiao to fight Morales again this September for the trilogy (after a tune-up around July). He should destroy Morales again, probably worse this time. That last fight was just awesome in how he just started dominating from around 4th round on.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:05 am
only in boxing do these crazy things happen. Either Mayorga's brilliant at creating distractions, or the pressure's getting to him, or he's just demented.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=2432488

"I have to believe that Ricardo eventually will understand that his future depends on this," Schaefer said. "I don't know what goes through his crazy mind but I have no doubt that this fight will go on. A few fights ago when Bernard Hopkins packed his bags and threatened to pull out. I said the same thing and eventually he came to his senses. But in the crazy world of boxing, these are the kinds of things we have to live with.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:12 pm
Lordsofacid wrote:...either Mayorga's brilliant at creating distractions, or the pressure's getting to him, or he's just demented.

He’s definitely all of the above. This guy is crazy (and a dangerous fighter, too).

Whether there’s small truth to this or not, it appears that this is a distraction ploy, more than anything.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:51 pm
Great showing by DLH. His hand-speed was the glaring difference, and he just methodically destroyed Mayorga whenever he came into his punching range. His defense and footwork were also superb (against the unorthodox puncher). Mayorga never got going, outside of occasional single connects (and rabbit punches). His best shot was that uppercut that buckled Oscar’s right knee, but he couldn't follow-up. He worked the body in hopes of trying to KO Oscar, a la B-Hop’s shot to the liver, but DLH’s speed and combinations were just too much. That should be the last we see of Mayorga.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:17 am
well. let it be known. 6 months ago i say let the edwin valero hype begin, and now theres youtubes all over for him and wikipedias, i've been hyping this kid for 2 years now, and finnally

HE IS THE WBA SUPER FEATHERWEIGHT CHAMPION

next up. Manny Pacquiao.

only thing is, edwin valero isnt a great boxer. he just has a strong chin and amazing power
New. Stuff.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:05 pm
when will they be fighting? cuz manny is fighting november 18 against what i think morales' last fight. to me, he doesnt have much left in him. so i'd expect the same result as the last encounter between the two.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:19 am
whos the heavyweight champ these days?
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:33 pm
I’ve never seen Valero fight; I just saw some highlights (sparring and one fight) on youtube. He reminds me a little of Jorge Paez (looks and style of fighting). Not sure if he and Manny Pacquiao will fight next year, but it would have to be abroad since Valero can't fight in the US (medical risk reasons). He appears to be a puncher-brawler type. And although I think it will make for an exciting fight, I don’t think he’ll beat Pacquiao for a few reasons. I’d like to see him against Barrera, Barrios, Morales, or Rocky Juarez first, and go from there. He looks like a very exciting fighter, though.

Quazza, in the heavys, the widely recognized champ is Wladimir Klitschko (IBF). Rahman and two other Euros make up the WBC, WBA, and WBO.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:04 pm
Well it’s official. After Rahman’s loss to Oleg Maskaev last night, the former Soviet Union now rules the heavyweight division, capturing all four belts. Wow! Something’s not right.

(Although Maskaev just very recently became an American citizen, he still does not count.) I had a feeling Rahman could get knocked out again like the first fight, but I didn’t expect it in the 12th round—and after he dominated the fight.

Next up James Toney vs. Samuel Peter, and the winner should challenge for one of the Heavyweight championship belts. This will be a tough call because I can see both winning. I’ll take James Toney if he comes in shape. Sam Peter (The Nigerian Nightmare, ala Christian Okoye) will always be big and round—but he has explosive power and a great chin, to boot.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:41 pm
anyone know when the next Sugar Shane Mosley fight will be? im waiting for that after he KO'd the F out of Fernando Vargas. well Vargas aint even that good, he's jus talk. too bad for the US also, no American boxer holds a heavyweight title.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:17 pm
Not sure when Shane's next fight will be. Vargas has always been a big talker, and he was good before, until that fight with Oscar where he got knocked out. He hasn’t been the same ever since. He’s mediocre at best, right now, and should not be around too long.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:11 am
Just as Morales shouldn't last too long after the upcoming fight against Pacquiao. Not too sure about you but I think the Mexican boxers are depleting.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:19 pm
Yeah, Morales will get knocked out again (more than likely, worse this time) and will probably consider retirement. I haven’t really noticed Mexicans fighters reducing in numbers. It’s just that, in the lower weight division, the competition to the top is tougher to crack now with more fighters from other Latin and Asian countries.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:54 am
Yea, can't forget about that. The competition is starting to pour in that division. Sooner or later once they get knocked out bad, they'll end up having to consider retirement.

Anyway, I haven't heard anything lately yet but does the US have a shot to win at least one heavyweight division title?
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:19 pm
Well, James Toney and Samuel Peter are fighting early next month. And if Toney is in shape, I think he’ll win that match and challenge for one of the belts. (But Peter will be a very tough fight for him.)

He’ll have a very good chance in beating on of the other Euro belt holders, with the exception of Wladimir Klischko. WK will kill Toney; he’s just too big (6’7 250), too skilled, and just too powerful. (A great big man will almost always beat a great little man.)

But unfortunately, should WK decide to unify all the belts, there’s really no great American talent to challenge him, at this point. Other skilled heavys that could challenge for one of the belts include Jameel McCline, Shannon Briggs, Calvin Brock, and Ray Austin. But these guys are not in WK’s class.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board