Fave players all-time roster

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:37 am
Just to do something while the offseason goes on with no news on the Warriors.

We have a redistribution of talent thread in which we try to be fair and objective. This is the complete opposite. What I intend to do with this thread is get a list of everyone's all-time favourite players, not the best at their position. This is as subjective as it can get. Just one rule, let's keep it reserved only for players we have seen. I would love to put Earl the Pearl, Walt Frazier or Jamaal Wilkes here, but I've only seen a few videos (mostly highlights) of them, so they're out.

Let's make a roster. 12 players, two for position, and the last two can play any position.

Mine would be:

Starting five:
PG.- Gary Payton
SG.- Mitch Richmond
SF.- Bernard King
PF.- Shawn Kemp (only from his Seattle days)
C.- Hakeem

Bench:
PG.- Tim Hardaway
SG.- Magic Johnson
SF.- Xavier McDaniel
PF.- Rasheed Wallace
C.- Moses Malone

As for the last two spots: Clyde Drexler and Alex English.

Magic is a pg because I had to put Hardaway somewhere, and Magic was able to play the five positions. Drexler and English were great, but just "fillers" to round up the roster.

Let's see yours...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:08 am
Are you talking about who we think was the best at every positionor who our favourite players were at every position? Some people might have liked certain players because of their attitudes on or off the court, though they may have been real bad basketball players

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:23 am
migya wrote:Some people might have liked certain players because of their attitudes on or off the court, though they may have been real bad basketball players

That's why I'm asking for favourites, not best players. Although, usually, both traits go together. It's hard to root for someone that sucks.

As an example, Xavier McDaniel is one of my favourites, but doesn't belong in a topic about the best SFs ever. Ditto with Tim Hardaway or Rasheed.

I want to know who are those unsung heroes we may have forgotten.

Just one thing. Let's stay with on court attitudes. If anybody liked Rodman for what he did on the court, it's great, but let's leave off the court attitudes out of topic.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:36 pm
My starting 5:

1. John Stockton
2. J-Rich
3. Chris Mullin
4. Dominque Wilkins
5. David Robinson

2nd team:

1. Steve Smith
2. John Starks
3. Glen Rice
4. Ben Wallace
5. Kareem

Last two:

1. Scottie Pippin
2. Larry Johnson
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:52 pm
Good roster.

The only one that really surprises me is Glen Rice. He was a great shooter but not much more. And didn't seem like a charismatic character. Off the court, I remember hearing more about his wife than himself. :wink:

I would have never thought that he would be in an all time fave roster... Seems I was wrong.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:29 pm
TMC wrote:Good roster.

The only one that really surprises me is Glen Rice. He was a great shooter but not much more. And didn't seem like a charismatic character. Off the court, I remember hearing more about his wife than himself. :wink:

I would have never thought that he would be in an all time fave roster... Seems I was wrong.

You're right! He is kind of an off the wall pick, but I chose him because he could shoot the lights out and I don't remember him making any bone head plays...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:01 pm
My starting five:

PG: Tim Hardaway
SG: Clyde Drexler
SF: Sean Elliott
PF - Tim Duncan
C - David Robinson

Bench:

PG: John Stockton
SG: Joe Dumars
SF: Grant Hill
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

Others:
Cliff Robinson, Chris Mullin, Mark Price

My favourite player was always Sean Elliott, he was one of the first players I ever saw play and I just liked the way he played. A surprise yea, but I admit, my list is mostly of players I saw when I was a kid and I liked decent attitude players, nice guys. Dikheds I just don't like!

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:40 pm
Starters
PG - Pete Marovich
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - LeBron James
PF - Tim Duncan
C - Wilt Chamberlain

Bench
PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Reggie Miller
SF - Scottie Pippen
PF - Larry Bird
C - Shaquille O'Neal(Laker Days)

Others
Kareem Abdul-Jabar, Dwayne Wade, and John Stockton

tim duncan is my idol. i love practicing his off the glass shot on my defenders. i'd take him over any current PF unless his name is Kevin Garnett.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:29 am
migya wrote:My favourite player was always Sean Elliott, he was one of the first players I ever saw play and I just liked the way he played. A surprise yea, but I admit, my list is mostly of players I saw when I was a kid and I liked decent attitude players, nice guys. Dikheds I just don't like!

Sean Elliot is an unexpected pick. I remember him as a good player, that made the neccesary things to help the team win, a similar role to the one Tayshaun Prince has in Detroit. You know, the guy that goes to work everyday.

That's what I wanted to know. If I have to pick one player out of my list, it's gotta be Bernard King. And the worst thing about his career is that it would have been a lot bigger if not for his injuries.

rsxracer wrote:tim duncan is my idol. i love practicing his off the glass shot on my defenders. i'd take him over any current PF unless his name is Kevin Garnett.

I think Duncan is a great pick and a great example. He's a fundamentally sound player, and that's something that's becoming rare nowadays. Just one thing I wonder... how come KG ain't on that roster?
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:30 pm
TMC wrote:
rsxracer wrote:tim duncan is my idol. i love practicing his off the glass shot on my defenders. i'd take him over any current PF unless his name is Kevin Garnett.

I think Duncan is a great pick and a great example. He's a fundamentally sound player, and that's something that's becoming rare nowadays. Just one thing I wonder... how come KG ain't on that roster?

I think he means that KG is the best PF in the league (who can argue with that?), not that KG is his favourite PF
ImageImage

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:11 pm
yea, KG is the best current PF in the league but i like duncan more. if KG was to switch teams for a season with duncan, the spurs wouldve done better with him than with tim. KG is the best, but not my favorite of the 2.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:14 pm
Okay, here’s mine:

PG: Timmy “I got skeewl” Hardaway
SG: Michael Ray Richardson
SF: Bernard “Freaking” King
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Moses Malone

PG: Baron Davis
SG: Jason Richardson
SF: Dung errrr! …Antawn Jamison
PF: Bobby Jones
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

Julius Erving and Chris Mullin

TMC, you're probably the only person I know to like Bernard King as much as I do. 8) He was a baaad man, indeed. Hella raw!
Last edited by CjR on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:18 pm
rsxracer wrote:yea, KG is the best current PF in the league but i like duncan more. if KG was to switch teams for a season with duncan, the spurs wouldve done better with him than with tim. KG is the best, but not my favorite of the 2.

Totally disagree! Duncan's game, especially his post game which is superior to KG's, fits the team concept alittle better, especially with the players the Spurs have and have had

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:27 pm
migya wrote:
rsxracer wrote:yea, KG is the best current PF in the league but i like duncan more. if KG was to switch teams for a season with duncan, the spurs wouldve done better with him than with tim. KG is the best, but not my favorite of the 2.

Totally disagree! Duncan's game, especially his post game which is superior to KG's, fits the team concept alittle better, especially with the players the Spurs have and have had

I don't know. I tend to prefer the guy who has more points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, FG%, FT%, 3p%, less turnovers and less fouls :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:18 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:

I don't know. I tend to prefer the guy who has more points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, FG%, FT%, 3p%, less turnovers and less fouls :mrgreen:

but yet has never won a championship, even when he has played with pretty much as many allstars, not past allstars but allstars on his teams ie. Wally, Cassell. Duncan has had Robinson, Ginobili and Parker.
Flip Saunders and Popovich are both great coaches so that is not such a factor.

Duncan just gets it done! :mrgreen:

Next

Return to Sports Board