All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:15 am
Posted on Thu, Aug. 03, 2006
Kwackami: Splashy move still occupies Mullin
By Tim Kwackami
Mercury News

AP archives
Warriors executive Chris Mullin could still land forward Al Harrington, right, who could still torpedo a trade to Indiana.Chris Mullin is still fishing for tall talent, long after I would've dumped bait, packed up the gear and headed for the dark halls of air-conditioned sanity.

He knows things and makes phone calls I don't. But it's getting late in an NBA off-season that has featured the biggest prizes landing everywhere in the solar system except on the Warriors' roster.

It's late. Warriors fans, who have waited 12 years already, are antsy. Mullin's still fishing.

Which makes sense. Could Mullin possibly face the Warriors populace come October if he hasn't performed significant surgery to a roster that has proved it can win no more and no fewer than 34 games a season?

It's August. So far: Derek Fisher traded, Patrick O'Bryant drafted. Nothing else.

``I think something else will come down the pike,'' Mullin said from his office Wednesday afternoon. ``We've got people that generate interest, no question about that.''

Those people being: Troy Murphy, Andris Biedrins and Mickael Pietrus, among others; any of those guys, Mullin implies, could trigger a secondary round of movement.

Does that mean the Warriors are back in the chaotic hunt for Al Harrington, now that Harrington has reportedly fired agent Andy Miller and potentially scotched the pending trade from Atlanta to Indiana that Miller approved?

Mullin isn't sure, because he thought he was inching close to acquiring Harrington a while ago, then was rebuffed. But Mullin knows he has a good relationship with Arn Tellem, Harrington's rumored new agent.

And Mullin is still wondering why Atlanta bypassed his trade offer of Murphy a few weeks ago in favor of Indiana's salary-cap paperwork.

``I'll be on the phone later today for sure,'' Mullin said. ``But really, the factor becomes Atlanta. That's what everybody's missing. If they want to do a basketball deal, they can do a good deal where we can be as big a player as anybody.''

Mullin says he has talked with Murphy about the possibility of a trade, and that every player should understand the realities of the business -- especially for a team that for 12 years has been in the losing business.

``No, it's not a concern,'' Mullin said of Murphy's name hitting the rumor mill. ``He's been put out there by people respecting his game.''

So how disappointed were you when Harrington seemed to slip through the Warriors' fingers a few weeks ago?

``If I was,'' Mullin said, ``I'm not now.''

Despite his continued intrigue in the young slashing forward, it wasn't Harrington-or-bust a few weeks ago, and it's not now, Mullin insists. There are other options.

He didn't mention names of high interest, though forwards Chris Wilcox, Carlos Boozer and Drew Gooden are three that come to my mind. All three, while talented, come with question marks; none is a guaranteed fix for the Warriors' woes.

So the fishing continues.

Though he has had talks about Jamaal Magloire in the past, Mullin said he wasn't considering a deal for Magloire before Milwaukee traded the veteran center to Portland.

When I asked directly, Mullin also said he won't be trading for Allen Iverson, though Mullin conceded he had sketchy talks with the 76ers that led nowhere a few months ago.

Iverson didn't make a ton of sense to me: If there's going to be an abrasive, massively talented, compensated and maddening guard on the Warriors' 2006-07 roster, it's going to be Baron Davis and only Baron Davis.

No matter what else happens this off-season, Mullin said, the Warriors' fate remains tied to Davis and his fragile body.

But Mullin also didn't sound stunned when I mentioned that a series of respected NBA figures have volunteered to me recently that Davis was a franchise blight.

I disagreed with the chatter, slightly. But I listened. Davis hears it, too, Mullin said.

``I think he does realize'' how unpopular he has become in many corners, Mullin said of Davis. ``But I would say how quick that can change and how good it feels when you change it.''

Davis has something to prove this season, Mullin said. But so do the rest of his teammates. So does Coach Mike Montgomery. So does Mullin. Absolutely, Mullin, preferably with an impact trade.

And Mullin predicts that he can make it happen fairly soon.

Soon? When?

``Now,'' Mullin said. ``This afternoon. Tomorrow . . .''

That's a promise or a hope or an expectation. But for frenzied Warriors fans, it's something to keep you going. While you wait.
Last edited by O.G. Broe on Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:30 am
I think Mullin is well aware that many of us will stay home, esp. in light of the 30% ticket increase, absent a major trade.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:43 am
The problem is if the other teams want that to happen. We can't sign any free agents, so any improvement has to be through trades. That's not as easy as it sounds.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:52 pm
Tim K is an absolute fool. "Chris Wilcox, Drew Gooden, and Carlos Boozer" are all power forwards. The only reason Mullin is insisting on a Troy Murphy trade would be to free up time for Diogu. There'd be no quicker to screw up the off-season (besides an AI trade) than to trade for one of those guys.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:15 pm
wat does he mean by ``Now,'' Mullin said. ``This afternoon. Tomorrow . . .'' i dont see any trade and i better see a trade tommro
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:40 pm
Tim asked Mullin when a trade "could happen". That was Mullin's way of saying "any day".
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:50 pm
Sounds like Mullin has nothing going and is hoping that someone approaches him with a good trade

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:20 pm
Sounds about right. I want Odom though...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:15 am
migya wrote:Sounds like Mullin has nothing going and is hoping that someone approaches him with a good trade

Yep. I'm sure he'll approach several teams, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a trade will happen.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:53 am
I think Mullin is making calls... but he might just value his players too highly. Maybe he doesn't think their contracts are over-priced; maybe he honestly believes Murphy and Dunleavy are worth that cash. If he does... why wouldn't he believe they're worth a lot in the trade market? Mullin probably won't settle for less than a Harrington-like player for Murphy (and Harrington scored 18 points a game).

It's good, in a way... but it's also bad in it's own way.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:16 pm
#32 wrote:I think Mullin is making calls... but he might just value his players too highly. Maybe he doesn't think their contracts are over-priced; maybe he honestly believes Murphy and Dunleavy are worth that cash. If he does... why wouldn't he believe they're worth a lot in the trade market? Mullin probably won't settle for less than a Harrington-like player for Murphy (and Harrington scored 18 points a game).

yeah - I do think if Mullin is patient he could get good value for a murphy/pietrus package. I mean, Murphy was 6th in the league in rebounding last year, more or less. Of course, everyone watches the same film and sees how ineffective his game was, esp offensively, so I maintain a Murphy/Pietrus for Harrington is probably the best we will get, but I've been wrong before, just ask presidents Gore and Kerry :roll:

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:09 pm
#32 wrote:I think Mullin is making calls... but he might just value his players too highly. Maybe he doesn't think their contracts are over-priced; maybe he honestly believes Murphy and Dunleavy are worth that cash. If he does... why wouldn't he believe they're worth a lot in the trade market? Mullin probably won't settle for less than a Harrington-like player for Murphy (and Harrington scored 18 points a game).

Said it well! Mullin has to understand that guys like Diogu and Ellis should be favored right now and that means trading, for something decent if possible, Murphy and even dun

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:43 am
coltraning wrote:I've been wrong before, just ask presidents Gore and Kerry :roll:

You organized their campaign or what?. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure of Pietrus value right now, probably pretty low, but Murph still has it. The problem is that I can't see anyone trading for him this offseason, and if we keep him a bit longer... well, let's say I'd rather see Diogu starting as soon as possible.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:44 am
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:I've been wrong before, just ask presidents Gore and Kerry :roll:

You organized their campaign or what?. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure of Pietrus value right now, probably pretty low, but Murph still has it. The problem is that I can't see anyone trading for him this offseason, and if we keep him a bit longer... well, let's say I'd rather see Diogu starting as soon as possible.

nahhh - I take no credit for those fiascos. :roll: The Dems remind me of some NBA GMs, hiring the same old miserable coaching failures again and again. watching war hero Kerry get rolled by the cokehead draft dodger on swift boat was like watching a slow-mo car wreck that was totally avoidable. Bob Shrum equals Brian Hill. Like Einstein said,the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I fear we are headed to deja vu all over again with Hillary. It is nice to see Lieberman getting his comeuppance in Conn., though the bastard will run as an independent...:banghead:

Hmmm - who would want a 15/10 power forward, poor man's Dirk? Seattle? I would have to research it, and that sounds like something more up Pest's alley, so long as it doesn't devolve into another argument between 32 and him over Shaq :mrgreen:

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:16 pm
coltraning wrote:that sounds like something more up Pest's alley, so long as it doesn't devolve into another argument between 32 and him over Shaq :mrgreen:

The number of those arguments is starting to rival the Garnett-to-Warriors-trade arguments I've had with migya... there's nothing left for either of us to say, but (somehow) it always seems to surface.
Next

Return to News Articles