Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:04 am
http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... _1995.html
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:07 am
#32 wrote:Say what you want, but Houston's team was undoubtably superior to Orlando's.

Lets go down the line

Clyde vs. Penny

the numbers you showed are very even. 2.5 assists is about = to 2.5 rbs and 1 point.

edge: even

Thorpe vs. Grant

Thorpe avgd 13 ppg and 9 rpg. Grant avgd 13 ppg and 10 rpg. Grant also had the advantage in assists blocks and steals

Edge: Orlando

Anderson vs. The Jet:

anderson averaged 16 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4 apg
Kenny averaged 10.5 ppg, 2 rpg, 4 apg
anderson also had more steals

Edge: Orlando

Dennis Scott vs. Cassell:

Scott: 13 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2 apg
Cassell: 9.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 5 apg
scott had the FG and 3pt advantage too
Edge: even

So of the four best players outside the centers, houston was at disadvantage at two positions and at you can make the case that they had the edge at two though that is debateable. Doesn't sound "undoubtably superior".
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:49 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:houston was at disadvantage at two positions and at you can make the case that they had the edge at two though that is debateable. Doesn't sound "undoubtably superior".

Houston was undoubtably superior... due to Hakeem. The rest of the teams were pretty even. Even Shaq admitted that.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:49 am
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:There was a reason why the Magic had the second best record in the nba that season! (Sonics were first)

:-k I count 4th-best, cheif. Sure, they were tied with the Sonics (both were at .695)... but don't forget the Spurs, the Jazz, and the Suns (all above .700 on the season).

Pardon me, I was thinking half 1993-94 with the Sonics #1 and half 1994-95 with the Magic #1 in the East.

The Magic players at the time were better than the Rockets players - Anderson fell off after that, as did Scott, but they both were better than Horry and Cassell (AT THAT TIME). Horace Grant was much more valuable than Thorpe and the Magic rising so far after the previous season shows so

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:54 am
migya wrote:The Magic players at the time were better than the Rockets players - Anderson fell off after that, as did Scott, but they both were better than Horry and Cassell (AT THAT TIME). Horace Grant was much more valuable than Thorpe and the Magic rising so far after the previous season shows so

I don't want to spoil anything, but Thorpe wasn't on that team. He was traded for Drexler. That Rockets team was even worse than what's been said.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:58 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:The Magic players at the time were better than the Rockets players - Anderson fell off after that, as did Scott, but they both were better than Horry and Cassell (AT THAT TIME). Horace Grant was much more valuable than Thorpe and the Magic rising so far after the previous season shows so

I don't want to spoil anything, but Thorpe wasn't on that team. He was traded for Drexler. That Rockets team was even worse than what's been said.

Again I'm mixing up with the 93-94 season! I mean Ellie was not to the Rockets what Grant was to the Magic

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:02 am
Even if I quoted you, it was a general comment. Disease compared him with Grant and his name has appeared in other posts, too.

But Horry was the PF in the championship team, not Thorpe, and that Horry wasn't the player he was later.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:45 am
TMC wrote:Even if I quoted you, it was a general comment. Disease compared him with Grant and his name has appeared in other posts, too.

But Horry was the PF in the championship team, not Thorpe, and that Horry wasn't the player he was later.

Though I liked Horry's game and stil do, he was never a major player but a major ROLE player. However, in theat finals series and only that finals series, as he was traded away the following offseason as part of the four player package to get Barkley, Horry was spectacular! He was so allround, getting something like 5 steals and 5 blocks a game for the four games in that series, along with about 15pts, 6 or 7rbs and 6 or 7asts, that it was said that he could have got MVP of the series, though Drexler and Olajuwon both were coMVPs. Horry was a major factor in that series and was unguardable

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:30 am
TMC wrote:

you're right, neither was vernon maxwell. they cut him from the team because he fcked up the chemistry
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:32 am
TMC wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:houston was at disadvantage at two positions and at you can make the case that they had the edge at two though that is debateable. Doesn't sound "undoubtably superior".

Houston was undoubtably superior... due to Hakeem. The rest of the teams were pretty even. Even Shaq admitted that.

agreed. though horry did so well that series he was compared to pippen
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:24 am
migya wrote:Though I liked Horry's game and stil do, he was never a major player but a major ROLE player. However, in theat finals series and only that finals series, as he was traded away the following offseason as part of the four player package to get Barkley, Horry was spectacular! He was so allround, getting something like 5 steals and 5 blocks a game for the four games in that series, along with about 15pts, 6 or 7rbs and 6 or 7asts, that it was said that he could have got MVP of the series, though Drexler and Olajuwon both were coMVPs. Horry was a major factor in that series and was unguardable

Yeah, that's true. I was talking about the whole season, but, for the series, you're right, although I think that Orlando's coach (Hill) was a big factor for Horry's big series. He never knew how to stop him... or how to stop Hakeem, for that matter.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:51 am
I'm not going to wage war with 3 Hakeem fans over which team was better. If you're honestly going to try and say a team with Penny Hardaway, Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott, and Brian Shaw would be at an advantage against Clyde Drexler, Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Otis Thrope, Kenny Smith, and Vernon Maxwell... there's nothing I can say that will change your mind. It's just plain stubborness at that point.

By the way, Shaquille O'Neal's player efficiency rating was second to only David Robinson that year. So, saying "Hakeem was better" is statistically wrong. It's official.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:21 pm
#32 wrote:I'm not going to wage war with 3 Hakeem fans over which team was better. If you're honestly going to try and say a team with Penny Hardaway, Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott, and Brian Shaw would be at an advantage against Clyde Drexler, Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Otis Thrope, Kenny Smith, and Vernon Maxwell... there's nothing I can say that will change your mind. It's just plain stubborness at that point.

By the way, Shaquille O'Neal's player efficiency rating was second to only David Robinson that year. So, saying "Hakeem was better" is statistically wrong. It's official.

First of all, you just exposed your ignorance by saying Vernon Maxwell and Otis Thorpe were on that team. They weren't. And just naming the players is tricky because it was a young horry and a young cassell. Try offering some semblance of statistical proof that could even suggest that the magic were inferior.

And if you think that PER is "official" you are truly a sad case. PER says that chris paul is better than magic and kidd and Wade was this year's MVP.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:25 pm
Stats, stats, stats... nothing like relying on good old instinct to know when one player is/was better than other.

Hakeem was better. :-({|=

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:57 pm
They were two completely different players. I dont think Hakeem gets his due when people speak of great centers. It's a tough choice, but I would take Hakeem simply for the fact that he had so many moves and most importantly could make his freethrows. Shaq is a VERY close second.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board