The Perfect Deal Is Out There

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:02 pm
The Warriors relative quiet summer is leading into another lottery bound season. They came up empty handed when pursuing Harrington and there isn't much other news going around. Do they stand pat and hope a team that has had little success within the last few years to make a playoff run? Do they plan for the future? As fans, we've waited 12 years, its about time to stop thinking about the future and start winning now. The obvious weakness of this team is the front court that lacks speed and athleticism. Thats should be their main focus. With BD and Richardson, they don't need a guy that can post huge numbers. They need a defensive player that can grab boards and catch a few alley-oops. Enter, the Memphis and Golden State scenario.

Ship Murphy, Foyle, Pietrus and a future protected first rounder to Memphis for Eddie Jones and Stromile Swift. What does this do for Memphis? They get a rebounder in Murphy and a guy that will compliment Gasol's post game. Foyle gives them A center that can block some shots and Pietrus gives them depth at the 2 or 3 spot. A line up of Stoudemire, D. Jones, Gay, Murphy, and Gasol would be a solid one.

The Warriors take on Eddie Jone's $15.5M contract which expires at the end of the season and they get an athletic 4 to play behind Ike. Jone's expiring contract will attract alot of teams before the trade dealine and could land them a possible star or near star player (much like Dale Davis for Baron Davis).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:20 pm
First of all, welcome to the board.

And, about the trade, it sounds good on paper. It's great for us (although I'd like to get Warrick instead of Swift, but that could be a pipe dream). Jones is still decent on defense and a good shooter, and his contract ends up soon. We'd be getting a decent player and financial relief in a couple of years. Almost too good to be true.

But I don't see it working for Memphis. I don't think they'd be interested in Pietrus and Foyle, and Murphy's poor defense is not a good trait for a Fratello team. I've read they are looking for a vet at pg, in case Damon gets injured again. Fisher would come in handy now.

Anyway, I'm not sure if Memphis would do it, but if they want, I'm all for it.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:12 pm
I'm not sure Memphis would do it, either... but what about us?

Stromile Swift's contract isn't a tiny one... and he'd be an unwilling backup behind Ike Diogu. Any notion of him playing center probably isn't going to fall through, either... as he lacks the strength to play against the bigger 5's. What's worse; he's not as good a shot-blocker or rebounder as one would believe (0.8 and 4.4, respectively, in 20 minutes a night). Not only that, but he's never shot over 50% from the field in his 6-year career... and he'll force about 6-8 shots a game. Like I said in a Swift debate mid-season, the guy's flashy dunks and physical gifts make him attractive... but, in the actual game, he's not the stud people seem to think he is.

On top of that, Eddie Jones would be nothing more than a more-capable Calbert Cheany next season; praying for at least 8 minutes a night, with most of his contributions in the locker room. Jones still believes he's a quality player, so he'd probably have a hard time swallowing garbage minutes... and with Richardson (who plays just under 40-minutes a night) and Ellis (whom we just traded Fish to unleash) clogging the SG rotation, he'd be hard-pressed to find any tick.

The contract dump sounds tempting, but it doesn't make our team any better (besides eliminating Foyle from the starting 5). I'd pass on this idea (as I'm sure most Memphis fans would, as well).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:09 pm
Yea this trade is good for us but I'd also replace Swift with Warrick. Jones is still very good and that defense makes him quite valuable!

Won't happen!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:07 am
#32 wrote:On top of that, Eddie Jones would be nothing more than a more-capable Calbert Cheany next season; praying for at least 8 minutes a night, with most of his contributions in the locker room. Jones still believes he's a quality player, so he'd probably have a hard time swallowing garbage minutes... and with Richardson (who plays just under 40-minutes a night) and Ellis (whom we just traded Fish to unleash) clogging the SG rotation, he'd be hard-pressed to find any tick.

Whaaaaaat?. Jones ain't the player he used to be, but still pretty useful as a shooter, and he'd be our best defender right away. I'm pretty sure he would start at SF (as he did his last season with the Heat). He still has a couple of good (and overpaid) seasons in him.

And Swift... well, I agree. That's why I'd try to get Warrick instead of him, but even if we have to take Swift, he's tradable. He only has a mid-level contract, even if it's a long one...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:21 am
TMC wrote:Whaaaaaat?. Jones ain't the player he used to be, but still pretty useful as a shooter, and he'd be our best defender right away. I'm pretty sure he would start at SF (as he did his last season with the Heat). He still has a couple of good (and overpaid) seasons in him.

Yeah, he'd be our best perimeter defender... and he SHOULD get the starting job, but I can't see Golden State starting him over Dunleavy (the franchise seems behind Mike, unless we get a star SF). And, towards the end of the season especially, Golden State runs a small lineup. When Mike sits, Jason usually slid up to SF to play Monta at SG.

Jones would be the best choice to start at SF, but I can't see Golden State interupt the direction they're currently headed with Ellis simply to supply Jones with a couple 25-minute-per-game seasons. I just don't see it happening.

I see it like when Mitch Richmond came to LA. Kobe was the man there... and they usually backed him up with Brian Shaw. Richmond became more of a locker room veteran than a player, even though he was still starting-caliber (and should have slid Kobe to the 3-spot to make the best starting 5). I see that happening to Eddie Jones in Golden State.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:34 am
TMC wrote:First of all, welcome to the board.

But I don't see it working for Memphis. I don't think they'd be interested in Pietrus and Foyle, and Murphy's poor defense is not a good trait for a Fratello team. I've read they are looking for a vet at pg, in case Damon gets injured again. Fisher would come in handy now.

Thanks. Pietrus would be more of a expiring contract to them at this point and a throw in to make the salaries match. Lets remember that West was high on Pietrus before the Warriors drafted him. It would be a nice cheap way for West to get a better look at him and if he doesn't look good, you simply just let him go at the season's end and save yourself $3M.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:34 pm
i think the best deal is murphy+pietrus+1st round pick for Jefferson.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:17 pm
what? wrote:i think the best deal is murphy+pietrus+1st round pick for Jefferson.

Nets wouldn't do that.

Probably easier getting Odom

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:26 pm
I think Odom is the best option, anyway. I'd take Lamar Odom over Richard Jefferson. Sure, RJ scores more... but Lamar is a better ALL-AROUND player.

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:26 pm
Any deal that involves Murphy, the Warriors would have to take back a questionable contract and that contract would be Swift's. 3 years for $17.5M isn't that bad for what he could do for this team which is to add athleticism and defense to a front court that lacks both. His pros outweighs the cons for the W's. You have to stop looking at players as individuals and look at what they can do for the chemistry of this young team. A guy like Swift can run with Davis and Richardson. He can block shots when Dunleavy's man blows by him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:31 pm
What's the point of trading Murphy if all we're going to get in return is a trash contract like Swift's...? Stromile Swift wouldn't improve the team... and he'd weight down the books. Where's our interest in this trade?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:31 pm
RUNTMC2007 wrote:Any deal that involves Murphy, the Warriors would have to take back a questionable contract and that contract would be Swift's. 3 years for $17.5M isn't that bad for what he could do for this team which is to add athleticism and defense to a front court that lacks both. His pros outweighs the cons for the W's. You have to stop looking at players as individuals and look at what they can do for the chemistry of this young team. A guy like Swift can run with Davis and Richardson. He can block shots when Dunleavy's man blows by him.

You make a good point because Murphy makes considerably more than Swift but Swift does bring better defense and that is what is most important coming off the bench. Murphy just has to be moved and soon but whether he fits in the Grizz is something else because he is not the type pf Center they want and he would likely be coming off the bench as PF and that would make him an overpaid bench player, something Jerry West may not be fond of

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Why whould Swift except a bench role in Golden State...? He wanted to start in Houston and he started in Memphis. Plus, his contract would swallow Ike's AND Taft's, together... speaking of overpaid bench players.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:03 pm
#32 wrote:Why whould Swift except a bench role in Golden State...? He wanted to start in Houston and he started in Memphis. Plus, his contract would swallow Ike's AND Taft's, together... speaking of overpaid bench players.

Swift didn't start that often in the Rockets and he certainly won't start much in the Grizz! He is lucky to have the contract he does but he is paid far less than Murphy! He would probably get more court time in the Warriors this upcoming season than he will in the Grizz, as they have Warrick and Gay who can both play the role that Swift does

Next

Return to Trades