Vote for the Bad Sportsmanship Awards

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:18 am
Zidane is more of a scorer than Figo but Figo will go down as one of the greatest at making his teammates better

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:26 am
I don't know about that. More assists and better numbers, yeah, but that usually happens when you play on the wings. I don't think Figo is close to what Zidane was, being a great player as he was (and still is, although not so explosive).

Both are way better than that overrated piece of (insert expletive here) called Beckham.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:52 pm
I have to say Zidane did not cost them the game the way Chris Webber or Josh Howard cost their teams the game with moron timeouts. What he did was bizarre and braindead, but the strong likelihood was it was going to penalty kicks, and there it is all dependent on either the shooter f-ing up or a lucky guess by the goalkeeper. Zidane would have gotten only got one shot out of the 5, and the #2 kicker missed, so he might just as easily have missed at #5. I am no Kobe lover, but Raja's takedown has to be on this list somewhere...Stephen Colbert had a great line, btw. Deciding a soccer game on penalty kicks is like deciding a basketball game with a contest of HORSE.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:32 pm
yeah im all down on having all the games except the finals the way they are...by penalty kicks. But the fimal game should go to overtime, until an actual goal is scored. Maybe for every 15 minute increment after the 1st 2, ,there should be allowed one extra substitution, so if it goes on forever, ur at least getting fresh players and no zombie soccer. Anyone agree or disagree or have an opinion in my idea?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:39 pm
yeah im all down on having all the games except the finals the way they are...by penalty kicks. But the fimal game should go to overtime, until an actual goal is scored. Maybe for every 15 minute increment after the 1st 2, ,there should be allowed one extra substitution, so if it goes on forever, ur at least getting fresh players and no zombie soccer. Anyone agree or disagree or have an opinion in my idea?

The problem is that, no matter how many substitutions take place, it can go on forever, with no time limit set for it. I don't like the idea of the penalty shoot-out, but it's a diffucult issue to solve.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:03 pm
TMC wrote:
yeah im all down on having all the games except the finals the way they are...by penalty kicks. But the final game should go to overtime, until an actual goal is scored. Maybe for every 15 minute increment after the 1st 2, ,there should be allowed one extra substitution, so if it goes on forever, ur at least getting fresh players and no zombie soccer. Anyone agree or disagree or have an opinion in my idea?

The problem is that, no matter how many substitutions take place, it can go on forever, with no time limit set for it. I don't like the idea of the penalty shoot-out, but it's a diffucult issue to solve.

yeah, i agree that it might take forever, but its only going to happen for one game per 4 years, and it happening again might become rare, so at least if it does happen again, a fan perspective would like an actual goal. wouldnt mine if it was a golden goal....maybe if they took the offsides off in overtime...that'll spice it up!!!!!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:25 pm
coltraning wrote:Deciding a soccer game on penalty kicks is like deciding a basketball game with a contest of HORSE.

No, deciding a soccer game on penalties is like deciding a basketball game on freethrows! A feesible idea but not as good as getting a winner through actually playing the game out

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:47 pm
ajcardenas123 wrote:yeah im all down on having all the games except the finals the way they are...by penalty kicks. But the fimal game should go to overtime, until an actual goal is scored. Maybe for every 15 minute increment after the 1st 2, ,there should be allowed one extra substitution, so if it goes on forever, ur at least getting fresh players and no zombie soccer. Anyone agree or disagree or have an opinion in my idea?

I also think that the semi finals and final should continue to go to extra times until there is a winner. Maybe a sudden death third extra time oeriod would be the way to go ie. Game keeps going until there is a goal, so no time limit to the third extra time period

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:01 am
Another possibilty would be to play another game, on another day, if there's a tie after the extra time. But we face the same problem once again. What happens if the second game ends up on a tie?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:44 am
TMC wrote:Another possibilty would be to play another game, on another day, if there's a tie after the extra time. But we face the same problem once again. What happens if the second game ends up on a tie?

Play on a second day is just awkward. Continuing with extra times, like in basketball, is the way to go

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:46 am
Play on a second day is just awkward. Continuing with extra times, like in basketball, is the way to go

Not on a second day. Maybe after three days to rest. There's no need to rush it. The seasons are all over.

But I was just throwing the idea out there. I really don't like it too much...
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:07 am

Not on a second day. Maybe after three days to rest. There's no need to rush it. The seasons are all over.

But I was just throwing the idea out there. I really don't like it too much...

What about in overtime you remove a player a side, and continue removing players for each overtime. Of course, my heretical solution, sure to cause true football fans to hurl, is simple: eliminate the offside rule - that'll open her up...hey, if the nba can put in 24 seconds clocks, defensive threes, 8 second backcourt, widen lanes, etc...why can't soccer look at something to open their game up? Is it like the ten commandments or something? (btw, little know fact, there are over 600 commandments in the old testament, and we talk about 5 or 6 of them)
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:13 am
What about in overtime you remove a player a side, and continue removing players for each overtime. Of course, my heretical solution, sure to cause true football fans to hurl, is simple: eliminate the offside rule - that'll open her up...hey, if the nba can put in 24 seconds clocks, defensive threes, 8 second backcourt, widen lanes, etc...why can't soccer look at something to open their game up? Is it like the ten commandments or something? (btw, little know fact, there are over 600 commandments in the old testament, and we talk about 5 or 6 of them)

Open up the game is the most worrying issue for soccer. I don't think rules have anything to do with it. It's more the need to have a strong defense to rely on, and then, and only then, build an offense. It's about the coaches and their approach to the game, not the rules.

I fact, I like the offside rule. It forces team to play. That's the only thing that doesn't let you just have one or two strikers up there and throw long passes all day... Although it happens from time to time. :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:28 am
coltraning wrote:(btw, little know fact, there are over 600 commandments in the old testament, and we talk about 5 or 6 of them)

Fact: The bible is one of the most violent, sexually perverted literature ever

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:40 am
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:(btw, little know fact, there are over 600 commandments in the old testament, and we talk about 5 or 6 of them)

Fact: The bible is one of the most violent, sexually perverted literature ever

Amen
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board