Can the Bucks get ANY stupider...?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:13 am
In case you haven't heard, the Bucks are the lucky winners of the Charlie Villenuela trade. The price they had to pay? TJ f'n FORD!!!!

So, in one night, they added (yet another) big man (to go along with Magloire, Bogut, Smith, Kukoc, Gazeric, ect) in exchange for their best point guard.

Raptors 1, Bucks 0.

Collangelo seems like he's on his way to the top again.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:35 pm
I like the move for the Bucks. Villanueva will be the starting PF, Bogut will move to his natural Center spot and they'll trade Magloire this summer. And they also have Mo Williams to play PG. I think they're the winners in this trade.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:35 pm
The Bucks still have Joe Smith and Dan Gazerick on payroll (and both are overpaid). To keep Charlie after his rookie contract, they'll have to shell out more dough (and big men don't come cheap).

Meanwhile, TJ Ford (if he didn't last year) is primed for a breakout season. When he's healthy, he's one of the better point guard prospects in the league. Giving him a big man to work with (like Chris Bosh) instead of sticking him on the perimeter with an always-shooting, ballhandler (like Michael Redd) should only help his game. Feeding Bosh will open up free outside jumpers, surge his assists, and allow him a more wide-open lane during drives. Ford will be the perfect replacement for Mike James (whose on his way back to Houston).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:13 pm
Don't get me wrong. I like Ford better than James, and that's a big improvement for Toronto at PG, but I'd rather Villa at this point.

The contracts issue is worse for Toronto than Milwaukee, tho. Ford is going to need an extension soon, and Villa still has 2 years with a team option for a third in his contract. Joe Smith will be out of the payroll by that time.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:39 pm
I think Toronto made out like bandits. They don't need Charlie now that they've got Bargnini to compliment Bosh (and Ford is a huge stepup from anything they've had since Stoudamire)...

Meanwhile, Milwaukee picks up their 5th big front court player (something they didn't really need). Smith will be off the books, and Magloire is bound to bolt, but they'll get no takers for Gazeric's monstrous contract. They're gonna end up paying their backup 5 as much (if not more) than their #1 overall draft pick.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:59 am
I understand where Toronto is heading, but don't I really like it. I think Bargnani is going to be a good player, but I don't think he's going to be better than Villanueva.

Which means that Toronto (which needed a PG BADLY) would have been better off trading the pick for a pg, instead of Villa.

The Bucks are in pretty good shape. They will be $10 million under the cap next season, with only Mo Williams as a (worthy) free agent. They have a good backcourt with Williams and Charlie Bell (a player I'd love to get, one of the most underrated of the whole NBA), and, although they are a bit weaker at pg (pending on who they may get for Magloire), I think it's a good trade for them. I agree Gadzuric is overpaid, tho (not right now, but his contract gets pretty awful in a couple of years), but there's a market for him, with so many lousy centers on the NBA.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:25 pm
I'm still not really sold on Charlie, to be honest. I think playing the Twin Towers game next to Chris Bosh really helped him... a lot more than people realize. I know the kid can score, but I have no faith in his defensive game... and limited respect for his rebounding ability. Andrea Bargnini is basically the same thing as Charlie... but with a wider gun-range. In the end, you get a taller, quicker scorer who can hit from further out... and, so far, Charlie's biggest assests have been that he's a tall player who can score a lotta points. Bargnini may not have sold you yet, but I think he'll turn out to be an okay player next to Bosh.

Neither Villanueva or Bargnini will end up being franchise players. They are both still raw potential; a lotta scoring and a lotta height. Meanwhile, TJ Ford is quickly establishing himself as a threat in the league. He's an up & comer. I think he'll thrive near Bosh, the same way Charlie fed off of him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:31 pm
I agree with several of your points (Villa's lack of defense or rebounding), but there's another issue that I think benefits Milwaukee. Ford's health. He's been ok this past season, but almost had to stop playing two years ago for an spinal injury. Hopefully he's going to be ok for the rest of his career, but it is an issue.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:34 pm
You're right, it is. I, for one, think it's a past issue, but who knows...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:41 am
Villaneuva (new house :mrgreen: ) has alot of potential but the Raptors really needed a passing PG and they got that with Ford. The Bucks really have a logjam of PFs now!

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Trades