Mock Draft 3.0 (The final version)

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:46 am
With the draft so close, I've decided to make a final update of my mock draft. This is one of the most difficult drafts of the last few years. Most players have a range to be picked, but there are no certain locks (almots).

I'll copy most of the stuff of my previous mock, if it still can be applied.

So, without furter ado:

1.- Toronto.- LaMarcus Aldridge.-I still don't buy all the hype about Bargnani. I think it's all a smokescreen to try to trade the pick (several teams are interested in trading to this spot to draft Tyrus Thomas). If they stand pat, Aldridge is the pick, and he would give TO the best young frontcourt in the whole league.

2.- Chicago.- Tyrus Thomas.- Thomas physical ability and upside makes him leap above Bargnani. It seems like the Bulls made him a promise, too. If it's to keep him or trade him, we'll see.

3.- Charlotte.- Rudy Gay.- Gay had the best workout of any player for Bob's Cats. And Okafor want's him there.

4.- Portland.- Andrea Bargnani.- Portland is rebuilding, and Bargnani gives them another good, albeit unready, piece to build upon. Morrison is the other possibility here, as the local hero, but I still think they go with the most talented one.

5.- Atlanta.- Brandon Roy.- The draft trade is almost complete. He goes to Houston in a swap of picks.

6.- Minnesota.- Adam Morrison- Minny wants to retry the Wally Szerbiak experience.

7.- Boston.- Randy Foye- Boston is the most difficult team to predict this year. Everybody has workout for them, and, although Ainge seems to be in love with Sergio Rodriguez, choosing him here would be a reach. I expect them to trade down if they really want him. Foye is the pick, although he could be move on draft day.

8.- Houston.- Shelden Williams- And inmediately gets traded, alongside Luther Head, to Atlanta for Brandon Roy.

9.- Golden State.- Patrick O'Bryant.- I decided to change our pick after yesterdays' workout. If Mullin wanted to workout POB so bad that they had to do it in NY a day before the draft, I'm pretty sure that, unless the workout was a complete disaster (and I haven't read how it went), POB is our new guy.

10.- Seattle.- Cedric Simmons.- After learning that Lewis now wants to re-sign with them, the Sonics don't need a forward so badly, and Simmons will add his enormous physical abilities and hustle inside.

11.- Orlando.- Ronnie Brewer.- Deshawn Stevenson ain't the answer at SG. Brewer is. That will give them one of the most dynamic backcourts in the league with Jameer Nelson.

12.- New Orleans.- Rodney Carney.- With Simmons and O'Bryant already picked, the Hornest go for the best player available, which also happens to fill a need at SF/SG.

13.- Philly.- JJ Reddick.- Philly has been trying to trade the pick for a while. If they keep it, Reddick becomes the last addition to round up the starting five.

14.- Jazz.- Hilton Armstrong The Jazz need help inside, as they'll probably move Boozer this offseason, leaving Okur at his more natural PF spot, with Armstrong inside.

15.- Hornets.- Saer Sene.

16.- Bulls.- Thabo Sefolosha.

17.- Pacers.- Marcus Williams.
(There's always a player that seems to fall for no reason. He's this year's Danny Granger.)

18.- Wizards.- Shannon Brown.

19.- Kings.- Rajon Rondo.

20.- Knicks.- Shawnee Williams.

21.- Suns.- Hassan Adams.

22.- Nets.- Jordan Farmar.

23.- Nets.- Alexander Johnson.

24.- Grizz.- Sergio Rodriguez.
(And I fully expect Boston to trade here to pick him).

25.- Cavs.- Daniel Gibson.
(Another promise, it seems)

26.- Lakers.- Mardy Collins.

27.- Suns.- Marcus Vinicius.

28.- Mavs.- Maurice Ager.

29.- Knicks.- James White.

30.- Blazers.- Quincy Douby
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:35 am
No first round leon powe? I don't get why nobody wants him, he's a carbon copy of ike diogu (except without the personality)
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:56 am
No first round leon powe? I don't get why nobody wants him, he's a carbon copy of ike diogu (except without the personality)

He's at the top of the second round. From what I've read, it's not due to his game, but concerns about his health... Who knows?, he could end up as a late first rounder if some GM feels he won't be there in the second round.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:41 pm
NBAYahoo.com review of Cedric Simmons:

Strengths: Simmons has fairly average size at 6-9 or possibly 6-10, but more than makes up for it with his freakish wingspan and NBA-caliber frame. He is extremely athletic to boot, with great quickness for a big man and excellent leaping ability. Offensively, he is raw, but shows potential with his jump-hook and passing skills facing the basket. Defensively, Simmons has all the tools needed to develop into a menacing shot-blocker.

Weaknesses: Simmons is still coming into his own as a player, and wasn’t a particularly dominating center in the ACC as a sophomore. Offensively he is especially raw, showing limited post moves, raw footwork and no left hand. His face-up game is virtually non-existent, especially his ball-handling skills. His overall timing and feel for the game just isn’t there as you would expect from a young big man who has yet to truly figure things out.

Outlook: Simmons is just ''testing the waters'' at this point but is likely to stay in the draft once he’s assured of a first round pick. His upside is significant and he benefits immensely from the fact that this draft is fairly shallow in quality big men. Simmons is more of a long-term project who could end up being a valuable rotation player due to his length, athleticism and defensive skills. He’ll likely be drafted somewhere from 10-20.

Is that really what the team should get, a very small Center that is extremely raw offensively and will take a few years to develop! Biedrins and Taft fit that mold and there is no need for a third one, unless Mullin really has plans to work with what he's got right now while still planning for the future, something that he has already done by getting 6 or 7 young players! If Simmons is picked, he better rebound and block a heap because that is what is needed

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:43 pm
TMC wrote:

He's at the top of the second round. From what I've read, it's not due to his game, but concerns about his health... Who knows?, he could end up as a late first rounder if some GM feels he won't be there in the second round.

If Mullin can, he'll pick Powe in the 2nd round, another possible steal!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:19 am
Is that really what the team should get, a very small Center that is extremely raw offensively and will take a few years to develop! Biedrins and Taft fit that mold and there is no need for a third one, unless Mullin really has plans to work with what he's got right now while still planning for the future, something that he has already done by getting 6 or 7 young players! If Simmons is picked, he better rebound and block a heap because that is what is needed

He's like a mini-Ben Wallace. He's ready to come from the bench and help inmediately with rebounds and blocks. And he's already a better scorer than Wallace. Keep in mind that he's still far from being able to dominate like Ben, but has the chance to become a very useful player. His phycial capabilities are more than enough to make up for his lack of height, and he can play both the Center and the PF spot. If we plan to trade Murph, he's the most logical pick.

Also, this is not who I think we should draft, but, as we haven't worked out POB (he even rejected the workout, so he's not out guy) or Carney, Simmons seems like an option, with Reddick and Brewer being others.

Edit: Forget the last part about POB. He worked out yesterday in NY for Mullin. I've already updated my mock.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:01 am
Sounds like Simmons is a much better pick than O'bryant, the way you put it. He does seem to have that defensive ability and potential to be better than O'bryant so maybe you have a point that he should be the one taken. Mullin going to NY to see O'bryant really does make it look like he will be the one that is picked but you never know

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:41 am
Saer Sene Wont get past Utah :!:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:29 am
Sounds like Simmons is a much better pick than O'bryant, the way you put it. He does seem to have that defensive ability and potential to be better than O'bryant so maybe you have a point that he should be the one taken. Mullin going to NY to see O'bryant really does make it look like he will be the one that is picked but you never know

Yeah, the problem with him is that he's raw. And without a clear position. He's ready to help right now, but nobody has any idea on how will he develop.

And, broe, Sene, on potential alone, is a first rounder, but if he goes in the top 20, it's a reach. And it will probably happen that way.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:35 pm
Sene went to the sonics, that's #10! Some real surprises in the draft!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:53 am
Sene went to the sonics, that's #10! Some real surprises in the draft!

Yeah, apparently, Seattle tried to trade down to get him, but no other team accepted that trade, so they were forced to pick him at #10.

It not only was a major reach, it also was a pick for a not needed player. With Petro and Swift, C was the least of their needs.

In fact, I don't think Sene will ever be as good as Petro is right now (and Petro is only good on one side of the court).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:44 pm
But the Sonics have notoriously had bigman deficiencies and so they are probably just trying to cover that as much as they can

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:37 pm
But the Sonics have notoriously had bigman deficiencies and so they are probably just trying to cover that as much as they can

Nah. They did it because Sene will stay playing in Europe for 2 or 3 seasons more, so they don't have to pay another guaranteed contract.

Return to Sports Board