Note: these are not who I think will be the best teams, it's who will have the best odds to win a championship.
1. Dallas: Basically won it this year, has a young team with just about everybody coming back. Prediction: 61-21
2. Phoenix: Amare could come back healthy and with a vengeance to the tune of the 30-10 per game he's capable of when healthy. If he's putting up 24-10 or better the suns could roll through the league and win 65+ games. He could also have a grant hill type career and nash could get hurt. I say it will be something in between. Prediction: 59-23.
3. San Antonio: The series with dallas basically had 6 50-50 games and one that dallas blew them out. it could have easily been 4-1 SAS or 4-0 dallas the games were so close and I think they'll come back with something to prove. They're good drafters too.
4. Detroit: Their time may be over but if they can start gelling again it may be enough. If they don't have a complete and total collapse like they did in rounds two and three they're still a good team. They also have lots of cap room to work with. Prediction: 56-26
5. Cleveland: They took the effing pistons to 7 games and if they could grab a board in game six they would have won the series. They have the best player in the game and one more decent player could put them over the hump. They were obviously as good as (a dysfunctional) detroit and after everybody getting older they may well be the best team in the east. Predicion: 56-26.
6. Houston: Just based on the possibility of a healthy Tmac and Yao, they have to be this high. I say, however, that Tmac never gets healthy again and Prediction: 40-42
7. Miami: Zo and Payton retire maybe they can convince somebody like stojakovic to come for a discount to retain contender status. If zo and payton retire and they don't pick anybody up, they will only win about 45 games. The only reason they're this high is because if they can get another good player to go along with wade and all those guys they'll be a contender again. If they stand pat, which they probably will with their cap room, I say Prediction: 48-34.
8. Philladelphia: Just based on the chance that they could get garnett. Prediction: 37-45
9. Orlando: Who knows how good dwight howard could be next year. maybe darko will break out. who knows? they looked so good at the end of this year. Prediction: 46-36
10. Sacramento: They were quite good at the end of this year and took san antonio to seven games. Prediction: 50-32.
11. Lakers: Never count out Kobe. another good player could take them over the top. and everybody wants to play in LA. Prediction: 50-32
12. New Jersey: I guess they could be a contender if they picked up another good player. If toine can win a championship I guess VC can. Prediction: 48-34.
That's it. Barring Brandon Roy becoming the next Dwyane Wade those are the only teams I think have a chance, no matter how minute, at winning a championship. What do you guys think?
Talk about any other sports here.
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:02 pm
Poster Credit: 0
wow bold statement putting philly higher than jersey, sac, LAL. if they get garnett its almost a guarantee AI is gone and KG cant do it by himself.
no indy or clips? chicago might be able to do some damage especially if they get LMA or TT.
where are the warriors?
yeah, orlando is probably too high also but it's just too tempting from all the rumors because KG and AI are two of my favorite players because they play with so much effort and heart
I think it's too early to tell. We should do this during preseason. I expect several teams (Miami, San Antonio, Philly, Chicago...) to have a very different roster than their current one.
Not that I disagree with your list, but it's way too early.
I'll put in Conferences:
1. Dallas Mavericks - They are very young and will only get better. Avery Johnson may end up a hall of fame coach and coach the Mavs for a good decade or more. Win between 57 and 64 games. Prediction = 64 - 18
2. Phoenix Suns - IF and only IF Amare is back to at least 80% of what he was! If he is a broken player, then the Suns need to use him sparringly and play the team game like they did last season. I reckon it will be somewhere in the middle with Amare but the rest of the players will put it all together even better than what they did last season. Win between 55 - 64 games. Prediction = 62 - 20
3. San Antonio Spurs - Reckon they will fall a little and that will make them change the following season enough to get back to the top again. Who will they start at Center? They had a very effective two Center rotation and now that they have traded Nesterovic, that looks inbalanced now. They still have great players and a great coach! Win between 50 - 60 games. Prediction = 55 - 27
4. Denver Nuggets - I'm going out on a limb because they could disintegrate over night with some trades and George Karl even leaving (their GM has already changed). Barring any trades that really stuff them up, they are still a young and talented team that could gel finally and be an elite team. Win between 45 - 55 games. Prediction = 51 - 31
5. Memphis Grizzlies - They are a very good team but will probably only develop minimally and win about the same as last season. If they can get a PG that does the job well (maybe Knight), they would be close to top team in the West. Win between 45 - 50 games. Prediction = 49 - 33
6. Golden State Warriors - Really think the team will make the necessary changes (just enough) to finally get to the playoffs. Most of the people here have seen the obvious needs and hopefully Monty can be just good enough for the team to show some of its potential. Diogu must start and get the ball a fair bit, Baron must not be injured as much, a stable SF must emerge and good team play should be enough for the team to win enough for the playoffs. Win between 35 - 50 games. Prediction = 49 - 33
7. Utah Jazz - They are good enough to make the playoffs already and just have been very injured. AK47 is one of the best players in the nba and as long as he plays in more then 75% of the games, the Jazz should make the playoffs. Win between 35 - 50 games. Prediction = 48 - 34
8. Sacremento Kings - I don't like this team and reckon they overachieved. They have got good enough talent to make the playoffs and they wil likely add one or two more players that should definately make them a playoff caliber team. Win between 35 and 50 games. Prediction = 44 - 38
1. Detroit Pistons - They didn't go all the way to the finals but don't forget what they did in the regular season! They need to use their bench a little more and an injury to one of their starters is probably what they need to teach them a lesson in having to use their bench. Win between 55 - 65 games. Prediction = 64 - 18
2. Cleveland Cavaliers - They may get better or not, Lebron can't do it on his own and they may just lose one of their players while not adding enough. Barring any bad trades, they should only get better and be one of the best teams in the nba. Win between 55 and 60 games. Prediction = 57 - 25
3. Miami Heat - They may just play the regular season like they did last season. Payton and Mourning will likely retire and if they are not replaced adequately, the Heat could be a bit over average only. Shaq might just get injured alot like last season and the Heat could really struggle. Riley should trade Walker, Shandon Anderson and Posey (all three or combinations of the three) for one or two good young players as the Heat don;t look that promising for the future besides Wade. Win between 50 - 65 games. Prediction = 57 - 25
4. Washington Wizards - Should stay about what they have been the last two seasons. they should really look to trade for a lottery pick because they don't seem to be moving forward. Win between 45 - 50 games. Prediction = 48 - 34
5. Chicago Bulls - This team has to play to its potential and get to the playoffs. They are very talented and with the 2nd pick in the draft, they should get what they need in the frontline. They might stuff themselves in a trade though. Win between 45 - 55 games. Prediction = 48 - 34
6. New Jersey Nets - Could be real good or just average. They need to get a decent PF or Center because they don't get enough up front. Win between 45 - 50 games. Prediction = 47 - 35
7. Indiana Pacers - Always seem to do enough to make the playoffs but now may not be a power in the East. Depending on what happens with Jermaine, this team could end up real bad. Win between 40 - 50 games. Prediction = 44 - 38
8. Philadelphia 76ers - Not a great team but I don't reckon the Celts, Magic, Bucks or Hawks will get much better. The sixers need to do something because their situation is starting to smell real bad and they are stuck in a rut. Either they trade Iverson AND get some real good talent (eg. Deng, Gordon and future 1st pick, Al Jefferson, Kendrick Perkins and Wally or Allen, Andre Miller, Nene and future 1st pick, Francis, Fryre and future 1st pick) or they trade Webber (the prik just had a near miracle season!) and a 1st pick for some very good (not too young) talent. Change is needed either way! Win between 38 - 45 games. Prediction = 40 - 42
migya make the ring fall on ya
Aren't we overrating the Lil' General a bit much?. I mean, he's been pretty good this season, but he's been outcoached by Riles in the finals, having a better team and more resources than Riles had in Miami.
I like him, but he still has a lot to prove, IMO. Doc Rivers was also the best thing since sliced bread when he nearly managed to get the Magic to the playoffs the year before signing McGrady... and that was the highlight of his career. He's been a disaster in Boston.
My top 5 of coaches would be something like this:
1.- Larry Brown.
2.- Nate McMillan (just because he's a favorite of mine, and I think he would be more recognized if he ever had a good team. I know people won't agree with this spot).
3.- Phil Jackson.
5.- George Karl.
Avery would be top 10, but saying he may go to the hall of fame seems a bit too much, IMHO.
Avery Johnson has shown the ability to get the players respect, organise team strategies and resolve team weaknesses (defense was it for the Mavs). That is the makings of an alltime great coach and that is why I think he may end up one of the best
migya make the ring fall on ya
Miami had the resources of a 60 win team and won 50. Dallas had the resources of a 50 win team and won 60. If you compare position by position
Shaq vs Diop
Who do you think?
Zo vs. Damp
zo is a top 6 center in the league despite coming off the bench. damp could give him a run for his money in a contract year.
Haslem vs. Dirk
one of the few positions the mavs have an advantage at
Toine vs. Howard
howard has had a good playoffs but toine out played him
Wade vs. Griffin
the fact that the mavs started griffin and diop makes it amazing that they won 60 games.
Jwill vs. Terry
terry is better but is flaky if you rely on him as much as the mavs had to
Payton vs. Harris
Harris is still to flaky to be better than payton at this point
Posey vs. Van horn
Van horn sucks. nuff said.
avery was easily the best coach in the league this season and to take the mavs to 60 wins and the finals was overachieving, whereas if you look at the heat's roster anything less than a ring was underachieving
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:44 am
Poster Credit: 0
what about greg popovich
Top 5 on defense..., heck, top 3 on defense, but his offense ain't as good. It's predictable and unreliable. So, being a good coach, he's not top 5. Top 10, sure, but not more.
Yet the Spurs are top 4 team............
Popovich is top 5 coach definately
migya make the ring fall on ya
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 0
As far as coaches go, AJ's pretty darn high on my list. I'm not easily impressed, but that dude's a great mentor---***030***---
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests