MVP

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:10 am
Weighing in on the series, it seems clear to me that
A) Wade is hugely clutch, perhaps the most since MJ in a finals
B) Dirk did a soft Euro Noshowski in the 4th quarters and cannot create his own shot. It was kind of pathetic to watch him frantically setting high screens for Jason Terry instead of demanding the ball and taking it to the rim
C) Avery could never solve how to GET Dirk his shot after Miami adjusted in game three - seems like Riles outcoached him.
D) Dallas is not a particularly good passing team (look at their low assist totals), and Miami plays better 1 on 1 ball than does Dallas
E) The officiating is a farce. I don't see it as substantially favoring one team or another, but the old slow geezers don't have the advantage of instant replay, blow between 30-40% of the calls and clearly, the coaches should get a challenge or two a game. If they lose, they lose a timeout, if they win, the call is reversed - you know, the clear compelling evidence, like a guy getting called for a foul when his face fouls someone's elbow.
F) Shaq should buy D Wade a mansion in Boca Raton, cause the MVP's heroics saved Shaq from well-deserved opprobrium for his skunklike foulshooting - beyond disgraceful.
G) Miami is very old, and I would wager a quite potent sum they do not repeat, D Wade or no... 8)

You said it all. I've got nothing (useful) to add...

Miami needs to start building a new team around Wade. Payton and Mourning should retire by now, and Shaq ain't getting any younger. Bad news is that Shaq's contract won't allow them to sign anybody, but it was well worth it. Even if it takes them 10 years to have a contender again, they have one ring to show, kinda like when the Bucs won the SB. Rich McKay bet on players with huge salaries that won the championship and then that team disappeared for the next few years. I guess that could very well happen with Miami (they'll make the playoffs for sure, but being a true contender is a different thing), but they have a ring to show.

They have some good projects to infuse some youth and talent to that team (Dorrell Wright, Wayne Simien), but it will take them a couple of years to make an impact.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:25 am
Replays should be used all the time! I don't watch any sport's event to see how the referreeing goes! Fuk the performances of the refs! It's the players who are the ones that are performing! Replays, with all those cameras, gives the CORRECT call and that is what matters

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:24 am
Replays should be used all the time! I don't watch any sport's event to see how the referreeing goes! Fuk the performances of the refs! It's the players who are the ones that are performing! Replays, with all those cameras, gives the CORRECT call and that is what matters

But a game would take 5-6 hours to end if there's a massive use of replays. I'm all for replays, but only during the last two minutes or so...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:06 am
There should people an individual working the footage of every camera and that would allow for things to be resolved very quickly! I'm one that wants the truth above all else and justice to always prevail :wink:

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:32 pm
I like the NFL model. One challenge a half, with the cost being a timeout. Any game where humans involved is going to have a lot of blown calls - I mean look at umpiring. Balls and strikes are about as subjective as judging ice skating. Still, the technology is there, and Stern is the impediment to call challenges. His controlling paternalism is nauseating to me on so many levels, from banning tights to dress code to quarter million dollar fines for exercising free speech rights. I would love to see someone like Cuban sue him for violating first amendment rights...Stern gets all the props for the league's growth in the 80s and 90s, but obviously the main credit for that goes to MJ, Magic and Larry. Stern's main goal seems to be making the league safe for rich, white corporate America. The NFL and MLB already have that covered, so it's futile. Kind of like those democrats who try to be republican-lite. Folks will always pick the real deal over the watered down imitation. May as well be proud of an urban, fast-paced street-wise irreverent game.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:29 pm
even though the refs handed the heat the series, the mavs cant win it even if the refs handed it to them with nowitzki playin like sh!t in miami. he had stay awake in miami and not fall asleep on the ride from dallas to win this series. he didnt do his job as being the mavs "superstar" and cuz of that, it was all miami since they left dallas.

theres a difference between an allstar and a superstar. an allstar is player who plays real well during the season, gets into the allstar game, but somehow finds a way to choke in th playoffs. a superstar plays his heart out and becomes the "jesus" of the team to help win a championship. nowitzki was the allstar, wade was the superstar.
Previous

Return to Sports Board