The Day After...

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:41 pm

The above noose was recovered from the Texas home of Dallas Maverick star forward Dirk Nowitski in an apparent suicide attempt after losing Game 6 of the NBA Finals on his home floor, thus blowing a 2-0 lead in the series (an incredibly rare blunder that only two other NBA teams - in 28 attempts - have been able to recreate).

Authorities responded to the news almost immediately, dragging the power forward into a nearby squad car as he was quoted screaming, "Dampier! Dampier! For the love of God, why'd I pass it to Dampier!!"

The Mavericks declined to comment.

In other related news, Mavericks guard, Jason Terry, who was quoted prior to the game that he would be "leaving the game in God's hands" was seen burning Bibles outside a nearby Dallas church.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:19 am
::lol:

Well done, #32. Now show some love to Riles. He may be a vulture, but he has won the ring, and that's what matters. :wink:

On the other side, Dirk and the Mavs should hang themselves. They ain't going to get a chance like this again.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:30 am
they failed. they were up 2 and they let 4 straight games pass by their hands. the heat deserved this more than the mavs. nowitzki woke up but they woke up a lil too late while the whole heat team had their eyes wide open and red hot for that title.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:42 am
Well done, #32. Now show some love to Riles. He may be a vulture, but he has won the ring, and that's what matters. :wink:

I give him his props. Pat Riley is an improvement in the playoff department that Stan Van Gundy could never be (largely due to the fact that he's been there before and knows what it takes). The Heat were a sure bet to make the playoffs, so their coaching staff was altered to fit their need; they wanted a Riley or a Phil Jackson to win them a championship (not a Van Gundy, to develop young talent like Haslem and Wade). An experienced shot-caller like Riley is handy to guide teams like Miami over the hump (much like Phil did for the Shaq & Kobe Lakers).

But, that being said, he's still a vampire. Dwayne Wade is Stan Van Gundy's star, not Pat Riley's, and Wade is the biggest reason the Miami streets are bombarded with parades right now. Did he help Miami win a championship? Without a doubt. But he could have never gotten there if not for Stan Van Gundy.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:19 pm
But, that being said, he's still a vampire. Dwayne Wade is Stan Van Gundy's star, not Pat Riley's, and Wade is the biggest reason the Miami streets are bombarded with parades right now. Did he help Miami win a championship? Without a doubt. But he could have never gotten there if not for Stan Van Gundy.

I agree somewhat. I don't consider Stan a coach good enough to lead a team anywhere. Developing talent, sure, but I don't think he can take a team anywhere on the playoffs. From that point of view, I think Riles did the right thing replacing him.

Of course Wade is the biggest reason they've won the ring (the players are always the reason, even Larry Brown's Pistons won because they had good-to-great players), but maybe, just maybe, Riles has been the spark that ignited Wade's fire...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:05 pm
Stan Van Gundy is the only reason (coaching-wise) that Dwayne Wade is even a star. If Pat Riley had been coaching the team, Wade wouldn't have seen 5 minutes floor time per game as a rookie (maybe even a sophomore).

I think Riley's coaching bennefited James Posey, Alonzo Mourning, and Antoine Walker the most. All three of those players (who had various jobs on the team during the season) really came into their own, as far as what their roles were, in the '06 Playoffs. Van Gundy couldn't have done for them what Riley did.

Overall, Van Gundy only really helped Wade & Haslem... while Riley sparked O'Neal, Zo, Walker, Posey, Payton, and Shandon Anderson into championship caliber material. Therefore, Riley's presence was a necessary one in order for Miami to be a championship team... but Van Gundy is responsible for developing the biggest piece to the puzzle.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:18 pm
Stan Van Gundy is the only reason (coaching-wise) that Dwayne Wade is even a star. If Pat Riley had been coaching the team, Wade wouldn't have seen 5 minutes floor time per game as a rookie (maybe even a sophomore).

I, respectfully, can't agree with that. Wade was Riley's pick, and, even if Stan helped him develop, Miami was in turmoil at the time, trying to rebuild their team. Wade was going to have his minutes no matter who coached that team.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:37 pm
TMC wrote:::lol:

On the other side, Dirk and the Mavs should hang themselves. They ain't going to get a chance like this again.

except for next year. Unless Amare is healthy, the mavs have to be the favorites next year
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:39 pm

I disagree, you can't hold back a star
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:59 pm
except for next year. Unless Amare is healthy, the mavs have to be the favorites next year

I think a healthy Phoenix has to be the favorite next year, and let's see what moves San Antonio makes (they've just traded Nesterovic for Bonner and Eric Williams)... Dallas will be a top team, but I'm not sure they'll be THE top team.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:19 am
TMC wrote:

I think a healthy Phoenix has to be the favorite next year, and let's see what moves San Antonio makes (they've just traded Nesterovic for Bonner and Eric Williams)... Dallas will be a top team, but I'm not sure they'll be THE top team.

Phoenix, if they're completely healthy, could be a 65 win team. They could also be a 34 win team with nash and amare both playing about 30 games
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:35 pm
I think Phoenix (for sure) and San Antonio (probably) have better chances than Dallas next season.

Goddamn, though... every article I've read and every interview I've seen in Dallas or surrounding their fans involves infantile bitching about the refs, Stern, 'conspiracies', and ENDLESS bullsh*t from the dickless Texas fans who feel "burned" by too many Dwayne Wade calls. 'Dwayne Wade calls'. Hmmm. You mean the kind of whistles Dirk was getting ALL SEASON LONG by flopping and screaming...?.....

Feels good to be on the other end of the stick, huh Dallas? If anybody feels like getting laid, I suggest booking a flight to Dallas because, apparently, the whole place is populated by sniveling, whiny bitches. For a guy like me (who enjoys seeing people like that suffer), this couldn't have happened to a better place. Maybe France.

Proof: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2 ... id=2493714

The Heat aren't even that good. The refs gave them the game.

If we believe that the last great conspiracy theory in Dallas was JFK's death, the second greatest conspiracy theory was that David Stern wanted the Miami Heat to win the championship

Cuban was cited for "several acts of misconduct" committed after Dallas lost 101-100 in overtime to the Heat in Miami on Sunday night. The infractions included Cuban going onto the floor to complain directly to official Joe DeRosa, screaming toward Stern and a group of league officials.

Stern was booed loudly by the fans that remained in the stands during the postgame trophy presentation on Tuesday night.

Bunch of f*cking little girls...
Last edited by 32 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:50 pm
It's always the same thing with the team that loses the final(s), more so if it's the first time they reach that stage. Remember the Seahawks on the SB?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:55 pm
The Seattle fans were not this bad. The last time I heard conspiracy claims like these, it was when the Raiders went to the Super Bowl.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:58 pm
I wasn't talking about Seattle fans, I was thinking about Holmgren.

Dallas fans would be the same, but they have been spoiled by Cuban's antics.
Next

Return to Sports Board