mavs
44%
heat
56%

Total votes : 16

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:49 am
Even though I know win margin means nothing, TMC :)

You know, to a certain extent, I agree with you about Riles having to be pissed. I mean, I'm sure the Heat did their best to win that game (I haven't seen it yet. I'm downloading it right now and will watch it tonight), and still managed to get a win by just two points. He can't think he's going to win the next three the same way, so, from that point of view, he should be disappointed.

Then again, a win is a win. Better that than being 3-0 :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:46 pm
Miami didn't play about as good as they could; Wade, Williams, and Haslem played about as good as they could. Save for him making 2 free's in the second half, I don't even buy Shaquille O'Neal having something to be regarded as "one of the best games he could play". One of the best 1st quarters? Sure. But not the game. Players like Payton (who continually allowed the guards to punish him), Walker, Mourning, and even Shaq (whose effect is obviously overshadowed by Wade) could have played better.

So far (for Miami), Udonis Haslem has Dirk's number on defense. James Posey is helping more on defense than he is on offense. And Dwayne Wade is coming through (even though he's not 100%). But everything else could be improved on (even in Game 3).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:31 pm
The Heat are yet to play up to their ability and if they keep this up, they will lose the next two

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:32 pm
#32 wrote:Miami didn't play about as good as they could; Wade, Williams, and Haslem played about as good as they could. Save for him making 2 free's in the second half, I don't even buy Shaquille O'Neal having something to be regarded as "one of the best games he could play". One of the best 1st quarters? Sure. But not the game. Players like Payton (who continually allowed the guards to punish him), Walker, Mourning, and even Shaq (whose effect is obviously overshadowed by Wade) could have played better.

So far (for Miami), Udonis Haslem has Dirk's number on defense. James Posey is helping more on defense than he is on offense. And Dwayne Wade is coming through (even though he's not 100%). But everything else could be improved on (even in Game 3).

They played about as well as they can expect to play. You have to look at it as a total team effort. You can't expect them to click on all cylinders at the same time.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:12 pm
No, but I'd expect "all cylinders at the same time" for the Miami Heat to be Shaq having 25/12/3, Wade with 40/6/5, Williams with 16/8/4, Walker with 20/10, Zo with 5 swats, Payton with 10 points, Haslem with 15/10/1...

But a good Miami game doesn't have Gary Payton play 20 minutes just to end with 2 points, 2 assists, and 1 steal (along with 2 T/O's). It also doesn't involve James Posey (despite how good he played defense) play 30 minutes and only attempt 2 three-pointers (ending with 4 points). Jason Williams only threw 3 assists that night, too.

Shaq played his best game of the series... and only got 9 shots off that night (with Walker getting 17 - in 2 less minutes - and Wade throwing up 26). That's inexcusable (especially when considering how many 3-in-the-key calls he got because he had his man beat inside so many times and Miami couldn't get him the ball for the dunk). In Orlando or LA, Shaq would have scored 40 points on a night like that. In Miami, where he allows DWade to basically run the offense, he was content with less than 10 shots??? I'm sorry, Big D, but you're being TOO selfless. You gotta demand more shots that like (especially when you're on fire).

Miami got good performances from Wade, Haslem, Shaq, and Williams... but they couldn't get the ball to the hot hand (and everyone else had a sub-par night). If the Miami role players showed up (nothing big, just played their usual game) the way the Dallas role players are (aka, Dampier, Stackhouse, Harris), the series would still be 2-1... but it'd be the other way around.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:13 am
We're 2-2 now. The next game will prove my theory that Miami can't win three straight games at home...

It's a weird feeling. I'm rooting for Miami, but I'm pretty sure they're going to lose the next one.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:50 am
Like I had said, the first 2 games were in Dallas but then it all shifted to Miami and now the series is 2-2. The team that wins is the one that can manage to win away from home, unless the Mavs win all their home games of course, making it 4-3

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:16 am
I think if Miami takes this last one at home, the series is their's. Shaq said it best yesterday: "Tonight was our first almost-okay game."

Shaq stated what I've been saying all along: the only reason Miami is losing is because Miami isn't playing well; not because Dallas is tearing it up.

With the way Miami's defense is handling Dirk, I can't see the Mavericks taking this series back without a Heat collapse. Game 4 for Dallas looked as sorry as Game 2 for Miami. We'll see how the teams react in a best of 3 situation...
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:01 am
they say the series hasn't started until somebody's lost at home, and I agree with that. However, if it goes back to dallas with miami up 3-2 the mavs will have a tough time winning because of the momentum
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:19 pm
I'd agree with that. I know the stat says 25 out of 27 teams have never come back from a 2-0 disadvantage in an NBA Finals series... but I just don't see the Heat losing if they go up 3-2. Not even in Dallas.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:22 am
I'd agree with that. I know the stat says 25 out of 27 teams have never come back from a 2-0 disadvantage in an NBA Finals series... but I just don't see the Heat losing if they go up 3-2. Not even in Dallas.

Neither do I. That's why this is the key game (I know I said the same thing about game 2, yeah. I was wrong :banghead: ).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:40 am
I reckon the Mavs will be back to the finals next season so it'd be good for the Heat to win it and then Mourning and Payton would likely retire

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:27 am
just remembered something about game three that I had forgotten until now. not to pick nits but on one play I believe it was jason terry who got fouled, made the first free throw and missed the second. A replay of that shot showed that mourning clearly goaltended it but goaltending was not called. on the other end of the court, Wade got fouled on an alley to shaq and they called it on the shot. those four points ended up making a huge difference. And david stern says the refs only miss "5%" of the calls
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:05 pm
Yeah, but if we combed out EVERY bad call the referees made, who knows how the playoffs (or even the season) would have ended up... hell, the Warriors might have made the playoffs.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:05 pm
LMFAO DAMPIER MADE THE GO AHEAD BASKET
ImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board