Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:11 am
By Sam Smith
Tribune pro basketball reporter

June 12, 2006

This is a big week for the Bulls with most of the expected top-five draft picks due in for workouts. No. 2 is an ideal position in this draft because when critics look for who made the mistake in the draft, it usually is the team with the No. 1 pick.

This year, there are a half-dozen players -- LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy, Tyrus Thomas, Adam Morrison, Rudy Gay and Andrea Bargnani -- who have been mentioned as No. 1 overall picks. That's why there has been a tremendous amount of talk about trading down, both because there is no certain No. 1 or No. 2 player and that a team can get a good player farther down in the draft.

Here's a look at some potential Bulls' scenarios:

1. Troy Murphy and No. 9 for No. 2 and something, maybe Michael Sweetney. This is one you hear the most about. The Warriors are desperate for a big man and figure to want a shot at Aldridge or Thomas. They've got to pare payroll and Murphy has five years left, escalating up to almost $12 million. For the Bulls he would be a power forward who could start and hit a jump shot. And the Bulls could use the No. 9 pick and probably get a shooting guard, wing player or combo guard like Ronnie Brewer, Randy Foye or Rodney Carney and still get another big man at No. 16.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:27 am
please mully make this happen.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:02 am
what? wrote:please mully make this happen.

Yup - I would make that trade for sure...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:58 am
Sam Smith gets dumber each day. Now he can't even propose trades that make sense for his own team.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:30 pm
But if the Bulls were willing to bite on it, I'd love to see it happening. I'd be willing to trade Murphy for LaMarcus Alderidge...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:30 pm
Since Murphy has to go, this trade is very ideal! The Bulls could still get what they want but I agree with TMC, the Bulls would most probably not want this as they can get a player with the 2nd pick that will produce as much as Murphy. Does work for the Bulls though because they could still get a guy that fils a need, say O'bryant who would fill there Center need.

What is this talk of the Bulls wanting a SG! They have Gordon! Aren't the Bulls still over the moon about him? He is a potentially great player that they would be stupid to have stuck on the bench for years! If they get another guard and keep the three they currently have (Duhon, Gordon and Hinrich - All effective), they will create a logjam and one or two would definately get unhappy and want out of there.

If this trade did happen the Warriors would be best to trade down (if they can't get Aldridge who, if he really can be a Center, is the best fit) because other than a SF, Center is the only other position of need, unless a player who is happy being a backup PF for years (unlikely a high lottery pick would ever want that) is available. A trade with the Hawks, Celtics or TWolves could still allow the Warriors to get either Gay or O'bryant, the best fits other than Aldridge for the Warriors I believe

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 am
Gordon is undersized for SG. That's why they're looking for a true SG, although I think they want a PF first. And that's why this trade makes no sense at all. Not only gives them a player worse than the one they would get in draft, it also kills half their salary cap.

All in all, this is the dumbest trade idea I've read. And that includes all those about trading Pietrus for Jermaine O'Neal. :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:44 am
It will be hard to trade Murphy but the fact that he can shoot and rebound very well is always an asset. If the Celtics pick a SG or SF then I reckon that they will be shopping Wally and maybe either one of Allen or Green because they will have too many players at SG and SF. A package involving Murphy could get Ainge to send a nice young player

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:09 pm
TMC wrote:All in all, this is the dumbest trade idea I've read. And that includes all those about trading Pietrus for Jermaine O'Neal. :wink:

I dunno about that... this board seems like a breeding ground for lame trade ideas. This one seems like more of the same to me...

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:53 pm
i said this in the trade forum but i'll say it again. here's why they cant trade murphy...

the new collective bargaining agreement does not let you trade a newly signed player (i.e. murphy, richardson, dunleavy) away. and because of this, the warriors wont be able to ship one of the newly signed players with the draft pick cuz the draft is on june 29 and you can start trading newly signed players on july 1. but the warriors did mention that even though they cant trade the pick away, theyll trade it if they get a top 3 selection.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:27 am
the new collective bargaining agreement does not let you trade a newly signed player (i.e. murphy, richardson, dunleavy) away. and because of this, the warriors wont be able to ship one of the newly signed players with the draft pick cuz the draft is on june 29 and you can start trading newly signed players on july 1. but the warriors did mention that even though they cant trade the pick away, theyll trade it if they get a top 3 selection.

Dun's new contract doesn't kick off till july 1, tho. He's still under the last year of his rookie contract.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, they can be traded, but not at their full contract. Which can be a good of a bad thing. Anyway, the Bulls have the cap room to make it work. It's just that it doesn't make sense for them.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:51 am
O.G. broe wrote: No. 2 is an ideal position in this draft because when critics look for who made the mistake in the draft, it usually is the team with the No. 1 pick.

Except that #2 is widely thought of as the cursed spot in the draft. The two worst picks of all time were #2 (darko and bowie) and another two guys who have yet to play an NBA game due to injuries and death were #2 (bias and jay williams), in the most recent draft marvin williams was #2 (is he the hawks 9th small forward?), Okafor was #2.... and promptly missed the most games of any defending rookie of the year in over 20 years, stro swift and mcdeyss are two #2s that probably would have been better than they were had they not been injury prone, 97 #2 pick was keith van horn... nuff said, In 1996 marcus camby was picked at #2, not only has he been one of the most injury prone players in the game but the fact that Camby was all they got at #2 in a draft with AI, Starbury, Abdur Rahim, Ray Allen, Antoine Walker, Kobe Bryant, Peja Stojakovic, Steve Nash, Zyrunas Illgauskas, and Jermaine O'neal is kind of sad. Bradley was #2, nuff said.
ImageImage

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:25 pm
iverson went #1 so raptors couldnt have gotten him. and probably nobody would know that nash, kobe, jermaine would be this good. and darko isnt as bad as most people think. he just never got playing time. i mean how could he start in detroit? darko has talent and orlando got a steal.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:41 pm
Right. I'd hardly call Darko one of the worst #2's of all time... certainly not in front of Van Horn, Bradley, and a couple others. He still has "potential" going for him...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:23 pm
Except that #2 is widely thought of as the cursed spot in the draft. The two worst picks of all time were #2 (darko and bowie) and another two guys who have yet to play an NBA game due to injuries and death were #2 (bias and jay williams), in the most recent draft marvin williams was #2 (is he the hawks 9th small forward?), Okafor was #2.... and promptly missed the most games of any defending rookie of the year in over 20 years, stro swift and mcdeyss are two #2s that probably would have been better than they were had they not been injury prone, 97 #2 pick was keith van horn... nuff said, In 1996 marcus camby was picked at #2, not only has he been one of the most injury prone players in the game but the fact that Camby was all they got at #2 in a draft with AI, Starbury, Abdur Rahim, Ray Allen, Antoine Walker, Kobe Bryant, Peja Stojakovic, Steve Nash, Zyrunas Illgauskas, and Jermaine O'neal is kind of sad. Bradley was #2, nuff said.

Facts are hard to argue against :D

Next

Return to News Articles