Other (Specify on the post)
38%
Eh, what's the world cup?
13%

Total votes : 8

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:09 am
The World Cup started yesterday, so, is anybody watching it?.

I know soccer ain't the most popular sport in the USA (and with good reasons, it can get pretty boring at times), but the world cup is exciting as hell. One bad game and you're out...

So, the question is, who's your favourite to win it all?

I leaning towards Brazil, even if the world cup is hosted in Europe, but there's too much difference in talent level between them and the rest of the teams.

That said, GO SPAIN!!!
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:22 am
Who effing cares will beat Who's Playing Again in an epic nil-nil tie decided by a shootout!

btw, how can italy not be on this list, I don't follow the cup much but aren't they supposed to be the best this year?
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:58 am
tHe_dIsEaSe wrote:btw, how can italy not be on this list, I don't follow the cup much but aren't they supposed to be the best this year?

Could be, but they're always labeled as contenders, and always disappoint. Last time they won it was in 1982.

But the only reason is that there are too many contenders. I can't make a poll with 15 options. That's why there's one for the rest of the teams.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:28 pm
I'm not much of a fan of soccer but I always watch the world cup!!!!

Brazil have dominated the last few world cups but I reckon they will get knocked out this time. Argentina has underachieved and looks dangerous. England are a pack of fagggots but have a chance. Germany are also a chance.

I pick Argentina.

GO PORTUGAL and then Australia

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:17 am
migya wrote:I pick Argentina.

2-1 yesterday against Ivory Coast. May not be a bad pick. :thumbup:

Portugal has one of the easiest groups of the whole World Cup, but Australia will have to give them all to qualify. At least they have a great coach and some talent on Cahill and Viduka. I hope they make it to the second round, but I don't think they'll go much further.

I agree about soccer, tho. It's, at times, incredibly boring, but the world cup is the exception... and it's gonna be even better once the group stage is over. Then it's win or go home.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:52 am
After the disgraceful showing of almost all the top teams last world cup (ie. Portugal, Argentina, France, Italy etc.) nothing should be surprising!

I reckon Portugal has a great chance if they play to their ability but they never do! Same could besaid about Argentina.

The safest pick is brazil

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:46 am
Portugal plays tonight against Angola. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

They have an easy game to start the world cup, and this is the last chance for this generation to make some noise in the international scene.

My prediction:

Portugal 3 - Angola 0.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:32 am
You never know, Portugal played horribly last world cup and might do so again. Hope they at least go through to the second round

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:26 am
I picked Argentina to upset Brazil in the final prior to the World Cup.

We'll see...making predictions for this is like making predictions for this year's March Madness...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:45 am
Yoyo wrote:We'll see...making predictions for this is like making predictions for this year's March Madness...

Yep. Isn't that great? :wink:

That's why it's so different from other soccer competitions. It's a ko tourneament, while most leagues are just that, leagues with no playoffs. I mean, it's great to know that the best team all year won, but where's the excitement?.

On a side note, Portugal won yesterday by a measly 1-0 against Angola. Good first half, but awful on the second, to the point that their own fans were booing them. I expected a lot more from them. But, hey, a win is a win.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:23 am
I didn't see the game but did read the recap and apparently Portugal had many chances to score but failed. They are far better than what they have shown the last couple of world cups

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:03 pm
I did. They had 5 clear chances in the first half, and made only one, but Angola had a good one finishing that half, so Portugal decided to come out in full defensive mode for the second. That was one of the most boring halfs of the whole world cup.

If you want more than recaps, Fifa puts up free videos of each game in the world cup page:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/splash.html

btw, Australia 3 - Japan 1 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:03 pm
geez US got tortured by czech republic. 3-0? and i thought game 2 of the finals was bad.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:47 pm
The United States has been trying to shove soccer down their citizens throats for the past 25 years so that they can join this world wide party that everybody else (except us) seems to enjoy.

Christ, I've never seen so much blatant propaganda during sporting events. You never see baseball, basketball, or football adds during each others games (unless its a local add), but the World Cup must have gotten 20+ plugs last night during the Miami/Dallas game. Even during a 20 second timeout, they made room to mention World Cup Soccer one more time. It got to the point where me and my buddies just started cracking up at the sheer bluntness of it.

Why in God's name does the US care so much about getting into the soccer fiesta? I'd seriously like to know why they're trying to push something so hard? It's like the friggin WNBA. Nobody cares. But they keep pushing it anyway.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:14 pm
AUSTRALIA WON 3-1 AGAINST JAPAN!!!!

They were losing 1-0 and then scored 3 goals in the last 8 minutes! :D

Next

Return to Sports Board