Warriors Keeping Bynum?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

What do you think will happen regarding Will Bynum?

He won't accept a role as a 3rd or 4th option and leaves to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.
11%
The Warriors won't offer him the sort of contract deal he's looking for (or they might not even attempt to resign him).
78%
Will Bynum resigns through at least the '06-'07 season
11%

Total votes : 9

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:39 pm
We only saw him for the final month or so of the season, but most of us fans in Golden State were thrilled with the play of Will Bynum. The kid showed healthy athleticism, the will to play his hardest every night, and a natural ability to drive the lane. Bynum was, no doubt, a good grab by VP Chris Mullin, and came in handy at the end of the season when Baron Davis was taking his annual vacation and Derek Fisher started showing a little burn-out. However, with the off-season inching closer and closer, my question is... will the Warriors keep Bynum after what he's shown so far?

Obviously, Golden State is interested in keeping Bynum. After an initial try-out for 2-weeks, his contract was renegotiated to end the season. The issue isn't whether or not Golden State wants to keep Bynum; the issue is whether or not Chris Mullin can keep Will Bynum. The spot Bynum's after has several issues to be addressed prior to any further engagement with the Golden State franchise...

Firstly, Will Bynum (assuming he resigns) will have to be content knowing that the contract he signs (for whatever number of years he stays) will only buy him a spot at playing third fiddle to Baron Davis and Derek Fisher (this is, of course, not taking into account the possibility of Monta Ellis remaining as a PG... which would push Bynum's minutes further back). He would need to be content with the idea of only playing 5-10 minutes a night in the coming season or two. If Bynum is willing to swallow his pride and eat up garbage time for the next few seasons, that may be the first step.

Also (relating to the idea of playing time), despite the wishes of a minority of Golden State fans, Derek Fisher won't be pushed out of the picture to supply Bynum with minutes. The organization is obviously happy with the production Derek Fisher (who had a career season last year) is giving Golden State. The only way Fisher will be handed his walking slip would be in a Troy Murphy package to attain a larger star. Fisher won't be let go for expirers or draft picks. That is a fact.

However, on the flip side, Bynum should take into account the frequent injury status of starting point guard, Baron Davis. Sure, on paper Bynum appears to be a 3rd wheel on the PG line. But during the course of the season, Golden State will need a capable backup point to spell Derek Fisher (whose age may play a role with his - and Bynums - minutes in the coming seasons) should Davis will be put on the injury list at some point in the season. Suddenly, Bynum's role as a garbage-minute eater becomes more of an opportunistic youngster whose main goal is to upstage Derek Fisher and become the primary #2 ball-carrier on the team. Doesn't sound like too much of a stretch, for those who actually know Baron Davis.

So, in conclusion, do you think Will Bynum will be content with his role in Golden State and resign? And, if so, will Chris Mullin be keen on shelling out extra cash to keep a player that may very well be forgotten (if, by some off chance, Baron Davis actually plays a full season)?

My guess is no. I don't believe Bynum will be content with his role as a third option when he probably believes himself to be capable of starting on several current NBA teams (making him at least back-up-worthy, in his mind). Bynum will bolt for Seattle, where Luke Ridnoir's been needing a capable sidekick since Antonio Daniels took off.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:11 pm
there's a smaller pond than here? where?
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:35 pm
In a point guard sense, of course there is. We have a league star for our first string... and a guy who'd start on more than half of the other squads in the league on our bench. The Warriors are stacked at PG like the Heat are stacked at center... or the Pistons at PF. It's a shame we don't have their records...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:04 am
The Warriors won't even try to re-sign him. He was signed mid-season due to injuries, and, right now, he has no place in our rotation, with Fish, Baron and even Ellis if needed above him.

If injuries force the team to sign a 3rd or 4th stringer during the season, they'll do it. But I don't think the team will spend money on a player that won't see court time.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:54 pm
Not even with the obvious reputation that Baron Davis has for getting injured?

Just to play devil's advocate a little, it might be a smart idea to sign him to a 1-year contract just in case Baron goes down. He could be Fisher's official backup (since Monta is more of a change-up guard anyway).

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:16 pm
#32 wrote:Not even with the obvious reputation that Baron Davis has for getting injured?

Just to play devil's advocate a little, it might be a smart idea to sign him to a 1-year contract just in case Baron goes down. He could be Fisher's official backup (since Monta is more of a change-up guard anyway).

Sorry to beat an old tired dead horse #32, but if Fisher is starting for our team for more than one or two games next year, we are lottery bound again.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:58 pm
bynum's pretty good and has a lot of confidence in himself and he knows that he can play and other teams will be knocking...especially if he stayed in the nbdl and tears it up like he did this past year...so i would say he would pass on the idea to play 3rd-4th string for the warriors
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:48 am
#32 wrote:Not even with the obvious reputation that Baron Davis has for getting injured?

You think Cohan is going to pay for a player that won't play unless there are injuries to the starters?. If that happens, he'll sign someone mid-season.

I'm not saying that it would be a bad idea, just that I don't think it'll happen.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:00 am
If Bynum is expecting a big $ contract or significant PT, then the Warriors aren't going to offer Bynum what he is looking for.
Bynum is very athletic, no doubt, and he did do good in the D league, but he is too raw to be a starter in the NBA.
Everybody knows that the Warriors need to make a major move and Bynum is not that missing link. Especially if they keep Peitrus on the team, there simply is not enough room on the roster for two very athletic and exciting guys who have to rely on their athlecticism not basketball skill to win ball games...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:14 am
btw, and I post this here because it would influence the Bynum signing, I want the Warriors to draft Jose Juan Barea with our second rounder. :headbang: :headbang:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:49 am
TMC wrote:btw, and I post this here because it would influence the Bynum signing, I want the Warriors to draft Jose Juan Barea with our second rounder. :headbang: :headbang:

Tell us a bit about him

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:02 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:btw, and I post this here because it would influence the Bynum signing, I want the Warriors to draft Jose Juan Barea with our second rounder. :headbang: :headbang:

Tell us a bit about him

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=11643

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=171

I've only seen him with the Puerto Rican national team, but this guy has major game. He'd be a lottery pick if he were 4-5 inches taller (he's only 5-11).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:05 pm
Sounds great and like he possesses everything but can he do it in very limited time in the nba? That might be the downfall.

Mullin already has enough PGs and might not pick anymore. Be nice to have this guy though

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:47 am
I'm not too high on picking up ANOTHER undersized point.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:51 am
#32 wrote:I'm not too high on picking up ANOTHER undersized point.

Think on a bigger stage. We draft Barea, he learns for a year behind Baron and Fish, and then we trade one of those two...

The best think about Barea is that he IS a true pg, not the typical playmaker who's more a 2 than a 1. We don't have that kind of player. And it would be a second rounder, I think it's safer drafting a talented guy in the second than just a project. Projects in the second round NEVER pan out.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball