Mock Draft 2006

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:21 am
Here's my predicted Top 10 for this year's draft...

(1.) Toronto - Andrea Bargnani - Here's the deal: Toronto already has two good bigs in Chris Bosh & Charlie Villanuella. But neither are centers. Sure, Bosh can play out of position (and he's good enough to pull it off), but the Raptors would much rather have a legit sized threat plugging the hole in the middle... and word is, Toronto GM, Bryan Colangelo, is pretty high on Bargnani. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toronto try to secure another front line player (seeing as there are no real studs in the backcourt this draft).

(2.) Chicago - Tyrus Thomas - By now, everyone should know Tyrus Thomas will be in a Bulls jersey by 2007. Chicago plays a perimeter-oriented game with quick subs, in and out. They don't really need a low-post scoring threat; just somebody who will give the inside players on the other squad some trouble. Thomas plays a hearty, effort-filled game that just screams blue-collar at me. I can see a player like that fitting well in Scott Skiles rotation.

(3.) Charlotte - Brandon Roy - This is going to be the first surprise of the draft, in my opinion. Charlotte is already set on their future front court (comprised of Okafor, May, Brezec, and Wallace). Those 4 will be a tandem that more teams with want than not in another 3 years. The Bobcats also went small first last year (grabbing Raymond Felton). Combined with Brevin Knight, one can also assume Charlotte's done toying with their point guard spot, too. There's only one more position that needs legit filling: shooting guard. And, at this point, Roy looks like the best one in the draft. They aren't looking for a shooting guard to take over the offense; their front court has plenty enough weapons to do that. Roy's handles would compliment the point guard's game in a Globetrotter-like fashion to get the ball safely into the paint, where Okafor and May can really do some damage.

(4.) Portland - Adam Morrison - The Blazers have had their eye on this kid all year long. With Darius Miles seemingly on the way out, Morrison seems like the perfect take with a brand new opening at SF for the Blazers (who also gave away Ruben Patterson last season, leaving them more shorthanded at the 3 than one would think). Morrison will be a sink or swim situation in Oregon, but my money's on the Blazers giving him a shot (while trading Miles away from trash).

(5.) Atlanta - LaMarcus Aldridge - It will shock people to see Aldridge (the future Rookie of the Year) fall this far to the Hawks, but I think it may happen. None of the above teams (save for Chicago) need a PF... and Atlanta is screaming for one (nevermind that garbage about Marvin Williams... Alderidge is way more solid and NBA-ready). Taking LeMarcus Aldridge will also open the door for Al Harrington to depart (something that seems unavoidable anyway). Combined with Joe Johnson, Alderidge is going to blow up early in the NBA with seasonal averages of 16 PPG, 8 RPG, and 1.0 BPG. The steal of the draft for Atlanta at the #5 spot. I predict ROY early, if he gets enough minutes (which he will on Atlanta).

(6.) Minnesoda - Randy Foye - This pick is a toss-up between Foye and Gay. I'm betting the Wolves opt to go small in the coming days (ala the Suns) and nab Foye in the draft. Think about it: Kevin Garnett would be a perfect 4 to have in a run-and-gun offense. He's fast, athletic, and jumps out of the stadium. Ricky Davis is also prime for that sort of job and would slide up to SF, making Foye (who can play either PG or SG) the 2 in this lineup. Minny is pretty high on Marcus Banks, so I wouldn't be on them going for a PG. The choice seems pretty smart, if I were the Timberwolves. Change the slow, post-game (that Garnett doesn't appear to be succeeding in, despite what his numbers say... check the win column) and put the ball out in the open court where players like Davis, Banks, Foye, and KG thrive.

(7.) Boston - Patrick O'Bryant - After Toronto takes Bargnani, Boston will be gunning for the best center left on the board. The Celtics have been pretty high on potential these last few years (with Al Jefferson and Orien Greene), so I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to tap into Patrick O'Bryant's well of talent. The kid's damn good when he tries. He'd be the best pick the Celtics (who are pretty set with their middle positions) could get.

(8.) Houston - JJ Redick - I'm just gonna copy and paste what Chad Ford wrote because (for once) I agree with him: "The Rockets have a number of needs, but the biggest is two guard. This is awfully high for Redick, but he should be a good fit in Houston. With Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady facing constant double teams, the Rockets need someone who can make them pay from the three point line."

(9.) Golden State - Rudy Gay - [-o<

(10.) Seattle - Shelden Williams - The Sonics are weak up front and need some hard-nosed play. Williams with be the perfect replacement for Wilcox (who will probably bolt come free agency). He can rebound and defend. That's all a team carrying Luke Ridnoir, Ray Allen, and Rashard Lewis really want/need.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:48 am
Ok, here's my top 10 mock:

1.- Toronto.- LaMarcus Aldridge. Toronto needs a center or a pg. No pg on this draft deserves to be the first pick, so Aldridge fits a need at center. Bargnani is a 3/4, and they already have Bosh and C-Villa for those spots.

2.- Chicago.- Andrea Bargnani. And thanks to Isiah for his unmeasurable job rebuilding the Bulls. (Now that I think of it, Isiah Thomas has done a better job rebuilding the Bulls than Jerry Krause. Funny...)

3.- Charlotte.- Adam Morrison. Get some tissues ready for draft day.

4.- Portland.- Tyrus Thomas. And Zach Randolph's agent can start looking for trades.

5.- Atlanta.- Another SF. Who cares?...

Ok, I'll do it seriously.

5.- Atlanta.- Marcus Williams. That is, if he finally enters the draft.

6.- Minnesota.- Rudy Gay. Not even McHale can be that dumb.

7.- Boston.- Randy Foye. If you have two young PGs (Delonte West being the other), you have doubled your chances of having a GOOD young pg.

8.- Houston.- Brandon Roy. He has fallen a bit on this mock, but won't go past Houston.

9.- G-State.- Rodney Carney. Rodney Carney. Rodney Carney. Rodney Carney. Rodney Carney. Rodney Carney. Because he's Rodney Carney.

10.- Seattle.- Shelden Williams. Wilcox is restricted, but it'd be a wise pick, in case he signs somewhere else for a sh*tload of money. After all, it's a pretty weak free agent market.

I'll do another mock, complete and updated, once the real draft comes closer.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:59 pm
Bargnani will probably end up playing center somewhere in the NBA. He's 7-feet tall. I can see him shaping into a late-career Arvydas Sabonis type.

LaMarcus Aldridge is the best player in the draft... but I doubt he'll go first. Toronto already has 2 players who are 6'10" and can play PF well. Aldridge can play center like Bosh can play center. My bet is on them taking a legit center (and Bargnani is the best choice). Besides, the GM has already expressed great interest in Andrea. And, really, no team in the Top 5 (save for Chicago) is looking for a PF. That's why I think Aldridge may slip to the Hawks.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:47 pm
1. Toronto Raptors - with the first pick of the 2006 nba draft, the toronto raptors select LaMarcus Aldridge from the University of Texas. they need help at the point and center. but them having the first pick cant be wasted on a weak point guard class. i bet they wish a chris paul would be available this year.

2. Chicago - chicago will be unhappy that the raptors stole aldridge away from them so they go overseas and take Andrea Barganini.

3. Charlotte - sure gerald wallace is the SF and arguable one of the best of the five in the starting lineup but i wouldnt mind changing his position. so guess who it is. the cry baby from the university of Gonzaga. Mister Adam Morrison.

4. Portland - Rudy Gay...at least miles' unsportsman like character will be leaving.

5. Atlanta - hmm...a PG would be more significant and more of a smart move to do. Randy Foye is the man to go with. I dont think Williams will enter.

6. Minnesota - how about a Pac-10 player folks? Brandon Roy will help their needs at guard.

7. Boston - they really need a center. they dont need a guard and surely dont need a SF. so its time to get a guy who played on a suprise team in this years March Madness tourney. his last name is kobe's and shaq's last name mixed together. Patrick O'Bryant come on down.

8. Houston - so....when is the all-time leading scorer gonna get drafted. are you afraid of the 3? do you hate it when players can drain 3 pointers all night long? well well well, folks meet the new threesome(and i dont mean in the sexual way)...T-Mac, Yao, and J.J. Reddick.

9. Golden State - wait what?! i thought they were in the playoffs. chicago was and they got the second pick of the draft. oh yea, thats right...the warriors didnt make it but chicago did and got the pick in a trade! thats right...well the tigers played well this year despite they had weak opponents. and out of the University of Memphis!!!! two words...Rodney Carney.

10. Seattle - we waited so damn long for this man to enter the nba draft. he's rejected every year to enter and wanted to stay in school. what an a**hole makin us wait for him. but what a smart gentleman choosing to stay in school and finish his senior year up. i was hoping the warriors would get it but they dont need anymore PF. Finally! Shelden Williams has entered...the NBA Draft. and with the 10th pick...from duke...williams is heading to seattle.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:35 am
rsxracer wrote:1. Toronto Raptors - with the first pick of the 2006 nba draft, the toronto raptors select LaMarcus Aldridge from the University of Texas. they need help at the point and center. but them having the first pick cant be wasted on a weak point guard class. i bet they wish a chris paul would be available this year.

2. Chicago - chicago will be unhappy that the raptors stole aldridge away from them so they go overseas and take Andrea Barganini.

3. Charlotte - sure gerald wallace is the SF and arguable one of the best of the five in the starting lineup but i wouldnt mind changing his position. so guess who it is. the cry baby from the university of Gonzaga. Mister Adam Morrison.

4. Portland - Rudy Gay...at least miles' unsportsman like character will be leaving.

5. Atlanta - hmm...a PG would be more significant and more of a smart move to do. Randy Foye is the man to go with. I dont think Williams will enter.

6. Minnesota - how about a Pac-10 player folks? Brandon Roy will help their needs at guard.

7. Boston - they really need a center. they dont need a guard and surely dont need a SF. so its time to get a guy who played on a suprise team in this years March Madness tourney. his last name is kobe's and shaq's last name mixed together. Patrick O'Bryant come on down.

8. Houston - so....when is the all-time leading scorer gonna get drafted. are you afraid of the 3? do you hate it when players can drain 3 pointers all night long? well well well, folks meet the new threesome(and i dont mean in the sexual way)...T-Mac, Yao, and J.J. Reddick.

9. Golden State - wait what?! i thought they were in the playoffs. chicago was and they got the second pick of the draft. oh yea, thats right...the warriors didnt make it but chicago did and got the pick in a trade! thats right...well the tigers played well this year despite they had weak opponents. and out of the University of Memphis!!!! two words...Rodney Carney.

10. Seattle - we waited so damn long for this man to enter the nba draft. he's rejected every year to enter and wanted to stay in school. what an a**hole makin us wait for him. but what a smart gentleman choosing to stay in school and finish his senior year up. i was hoping the warriors would get it but they dont need anymore PF. Finally! Shelden Williams has entered...the NBA Draft. and with the 10th pick...from duke...williams is heading to seattle.

:shock: No Tyrus Thomas on the top 10?. I'm not a great fan of him, but still... It would be shocking.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:37 am
#32 wrote:Bargnani will probably end up playing center somewhere in the NBA. He's 7-feet tall. I can see him shaping into a late-career Arvydas Sabonis type.

I don't. He can't play center. He's more similar to Nowitzky than Sabonis.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:34 am
Tor should grab LA regardless, and if not RG would make sense too. Assuming the obvious

C LA/Bosh/Araujo
PF Bosh/LA/CV
SF CV/MP/J Graham
SG James/Morris P
PG Calderon/James

Wow...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:44 am
If they're smart, they won't re-sign Mike James. He's not a good pg (I know, he scores 20 ppg and all, but has no clue on how to run a team) and it will ruin their future cap flexibility (they HAVE to extend Bosh's contract).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:39 pm
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:Bargnani will probably end up playing center somewhere in the NBA. He's 7-feet tall. I can see him shaping into a late-career Arvydas Sabonis type.

I don't. He can't play center. He's more similar to Nowitzky than Sabonis.

Nowitsky basically IS like Arvydas Sabonis. He's just not as broad (aka, old and fat). But they both block a shot a game, they rebound well, and they have an outside touch. Dirk just happens to be a scoring machine in other areas, too.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:42 pm
TMC wrote:
rsxracer wrote:1. Toronto Raptors - with the first pick of the 2006 nba draft, the toronto raptors select LaMarcus Aldridge from the University of Texas. they need help at the point and center. but them having the first pick cant be wasted on a weak point guard class. i bet they wish a chris paul would be available this year.

:shock: No Tyrus Thomas on the top 10?. I'm not a great fan of him, but still... It would be shocking.

woops...my bad forgot about him. ima start over...

1. Toronto - Andrea Barganini...he'll develop in time. lets jus pray he wont be a european draft bust. but hey...whens the last time european players let nba teams down?

2. Chicago - LaMarcus Aldridge...well, now they have a much better big man in Aldridge. tyson chandler, meet your new post buddy.

3. Charlotte - Adam Morrison...im pretty sure theyre not gonna pass no this guy. gerald wallace, meet your new competiton to the starting SF spot.

4. Portland - Tyrus Thomas...now here's a guy you might have doubts about since he left college early. but take no chances, the trail blazers will want to start fresh. and starting out with a big man is perfect.

5. Atlanta - Randy Foye...they finally have a PG. i bet they wish they chose a PG last year since this years class is weak.

6. Minnesota - Rudy Gay...theyll need another player to compliment garnett. who else other than a projected top 5 pick in Rudy?

7. Boston - Patrick O'Bryant...O'Neal + Bryant = O'Bryant. now they have a center. too many damn guards on this team. its time for a big man.

8. Houston - J.J Reddick...a perfect threat from beyond the arc. this guy will light up the scoreboard with his sharpshooting. i'm pretty sure TMac and Yao will be very pleased with all the double teams going away now that they have a deadly gun.

9. Golden State - Rodney Carney...yessir, Mr. Carney. The balla outta Memphis will be a perfect fit in Oakland. watch out y'all, he mightve played in a boring conference in college but he's a deadly man and a future threat. look out.

10. Seattle - Shelden Williams...im pretty sure Brandon Roy was the man for them but they need more help down low. to me, williams is a softy at the PF spot. he's undersized and im pretty sure ike would easily s*it on him 1 on 1. anyway, he'll fit nicely in the sonics system. the loss of jerome james, antonio daniels, and vlad will be a tough show to fill but it's a start.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:27 pm
The Celtics might just go for a PG because Delonte is a PG/SG that has limited playmaking skills. Perkins might end up alright so getting a Center is not really a priority for them.

Just hope the Warriors get what they need

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:19 am
#32 wrote:Nowitsky basically IS like Arvydas Sabonis. He's just not as broad (aka, old and fat). But they both block a shot a game, they rebound well, and they have an outside touch. Dirk just happens to be a scoring machine in other areas, too.

Well, they're both... tall. :mrgreen:

I don't think their games were similar, besides their range. And Sabonis developed his range due to injuries, that slowed him down and became a problem against more athletic players. You just weren't lucky enough to see a healthy Sabonis. Now that was the best european player of all time. Like Shaq, with more moves and a better shot.

There won't be another Sabonis in a lot of years...

In fact, Bargnani's comparison to Nowitzky is pretty accurate, but way overrated, too. I think he's only a project at an NBA level. A pretty good one, tho, but it will take him probably one or two years to make an impact.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:23 am
rsxracer wrote:woops...my bad forgot about him. ima start over...

1. Toronto - Andrea Barganini...he'll develop in time. lets jus pray he wont be a european draft bust. but hey...whens the last time european players let nba teams down?

2. Chicago - LaMarcus Aldridge...well, now they have a much better big man in Aldridge. tyson chandler, meet your new post buddy.

3. Charlotte - Adam Morrison...im pretty sure theyre not gonna pass no this guy. gerald wallace, meet your new competiton to the starting SF spot.

4. Portland - Tyrus Thomas...now here's a guy you might have doubts about since he left college early. but take no chances, the trail blazers will want to start fresh. and starting out with a big man is perfect.

5. Atlanta - Randy Foye...they finally have a PG. i bet they wish they chose a PG last year since this years class is weak.

6. Minnesota - Rudy Gay...theyll need another player to compliment garnett. who else other than a projected top 5 pick in Rudy?

7. Boston - Patrick O'Bryant...O'Neal + Bryant = O'Bryant. now they have a center. too many damn guards on this team. its time for a big man.

8. Houston - J.J Reddick...a perfect threat from beyond the arc. this guy will light up the scoreboard with his sharpshooting. i'm pretty sure TMac and Yao will be very pleased with all the double teams going away now that they have a deadly gun.

9. Golden State - Rodney Carney...yessir, Mr. Carney. The balla outta Memphis will be a perfect fit in Oakland. watch out y'all, he mightve played in a boring conference in college but he's a deadly man and a future threat. look out.

10. Seattle - Shelden Williams...im pretty sure Brandon Roy was the man for them but they need more help down low. to me, williams is a softy at the PF spot. he's undersized and im pretty sure ike would easily s*it on him 1 on 1. anyway, he'll fit nicely in the sonics system. the loss of jerome james, antonio daniels, and vlad will be a tough show to fill but it's a start.

Much better. I still think it's awfully high for Reddick (I consider him in the 15-20 range), but the rest of the picks make sense (even if I don't agree with them).

Maybe we should make a bet on this mocks. What about... the one that fails the most gets banned... for two minutes or so. :mrgreen:

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:03 am
If RG falls to us, I'll be dancing in the streets draft night...and the night after...and after...

Role Player
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:32 am
yea...but you cant count o'bryant out of the picture.
Next

Return to Sports Board