Has the three point line been detrimental for the game?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Has the three point line been detrimental for the NBA game?

yes - it is a reason why scoring is down
25%
no - there is no relationship
75%

Total votes : 8

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:23 pm
After watching Stackhouse back up from an open 17 footer that would have sent the game into OT, to miss a highly contested 3, I got to thinking, has the 3 actually hurt the offensive flow? So many times we see players, such as our own Troy Murphy, pass up an open 18 footer for an exponentially harder 24-footer, so here is the question. Has the 3 point line been detrimental for the NBA game?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:35 pm
No, you've gotta have the three! Hard to believe that it didn't exist up until I think it was 1981! There was always the semi circle but yet a shot from outside of that didn't mean three points....... seems pointless that they even had a semi circle on both ends of the court in the first place.

It is an issue that players go back to take the three, especially when a player as efficient a scorer as Stackhouse does it but that is up to the player not to be stupid and pass up an open long jump shot! Maybe players are coached into taking the three far more than a long two point jump shot but that shouldn't supercede a player's intelligence in passing up an open jump shot for a possible contested three point shot

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:37 pm
I think you could make a solid case that it has hurt the offensive flow. The object of basketball is to put the ball in the hoop. The 3-point method rewards much poorer percentage shots from further out. Lesser percentages means that players now miss more shots because they're taking harder ones in hopes that they'll be rewarded an extra point. In that way, sure, the 3-point line has hurt the game.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:50 pm
yea, i agree with 32. the fact that most guards or players who can shoot the three love to shoot it so many times a game. unless youre a consistent 3 point shooter, they shouldnt be putting up all those shots from beyond the arc. when youre on a 10-0 run, you want to continue that streak and not mess it up with putting up a 3 unless youre open. overall, i rather penetrate to the basket than put up the 3 ball.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:24 pm
#32 wrote:I think you could make a solid case that it has hurt the offensive flow. The object of basketball is to put the ball in the hoop. The 3-point method rewards much poorer percentage shots from further out. Lesser percentages means that players now miss more shots because they're taking harder ones in hopes that they'll be rewarded an extra point. In that way, sure, the 3-point line has hurt the game.

I agree - and even though I love the Suns, who use the three arguably more effectively than any team in the history of the game, they live and die by the three, whereas a more balanced team like the Clippers give themselves more options.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:28 pm
migya wrote:No, you've gotta have the three! Hard to believe that it didn't exist up until I think it was 1981! There was always the semi circle but yet a shot from outside of that didn't mean three points....... seems pointless that they even had a semi circle on both ends of the court in the first place.

It is an issue that players go back to take the three, especially when a player as efficient a scorer as Stackhouse does it but that is up to the player not to be stupid and pass up an open long jump shot! Maybe players are coached into taking the three far more than a long two point jump shot but that shouldn't supercede a player's intelligence in passing up an open jump shot for a possible contested three point shot

yeah - we were watching the lakers/celtics from 1986 and MAYBE 4 threes were taken in the whole game - if it were used as judiciously as it was then,i wouldn;t have a problem with it, but I guess it is sportscenter syndrome, every highlight is pretty much a 3 or a dunk...maybe move the line back even further, so it dissuades the marginal threeballer - aka Shawn Marion and Baron Davis. At 26 or 27 feet it would be high risk, legal and rare...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:22 am
#32 wrote:I think you could make a solid case that it has hurt the offensive flow.

No. Dumb players and coaches that let them abuse the 3pt shot have damaged the offensive flow. In this case, hate the player, not the game.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:57 am
The 3 pointer is mandatory! How many countless games have been won by the buzzer beater 3? I enjoy watching the pin point accuracy of a long range shooter nailing a shot from 24 ft. or beyond. Now that is skill.
If the 3 point shot was not in the game, then there would be no incentive for a pure shooter to master the long range shot.
Also, what would All-Star weekend be without the 3 point contest???
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:20 am
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:No, you've gotta have the three! Hard to believe that it didn't exist up until I think it was 1981! There was always the semi circle but yet a shot from outside of that didn't mean three points....... seems pointless that they even had a semi circle on both ends of the court in the first place.

every highlight is pretty much a 3 or a dunk...maybe move the line back even further, so it dissuades the marginal threeballer

I don't think that moving the 3 point line back is the answer. If a player is constanly shooting 3's and not making them, then sitting his ass on the bench is the answer.
A 3 pointer, just as a dunk can change the whole momentum of a game. Its fun to watch and it takes more skill than a dunk. If you want to move the 3 pointer back because you feel the shot has been marginalized, then you should also want to move the rim up a foot or two because everybody is always dunking...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:23 am
Big B wrote:
coltraning wrote:

every highlight is pretty much a 3 or a dunk...maybe move the line back even further, so it dissuades the marginal threeballer

I don't think that moving the 3 point line back is the answer. If a player is constanly shooting 3's and not making them, then sitting his ass on the bench is the answer.
A 3 pointer, just as a dunk can change the whole momentum of a game. Its fun to watch and it takes more skill than a dunk. If you want to move the 3 pointer back because you feel the shot has been marginalized, then you should also want to move the rim up a foot or two because everybody is always dunking...

Well said!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:45 am
Big B wrote:Also, what would All-Star weekend be without the 3 point contest???

Shorter.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:38 pm
TMC wrote:

Shorter.

I think the three point contest should be replaced by a one on one contest. The rookie vs. sophmore game should be replaced by rookies vs. legends. The shooting stars game should be an actual 3 on 3 game. The skills contest should involve defense. The dunk contest should be mandatory if the league wants you or do it or should have some sort of incentive.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:45 pm
tHe_dIsEaSe wrote:
TMC wrote:

Shorter.

I think the three point contest should be replaced by a one on one contest. The rookie vs. sophmore game should be replaced by rookies vs. legends. The shooting stars game should be an actual 3 on 3 game. The skills contest should involve defense. The dunk contest should be mandatory if the league wants you or do it or should have some sort of incentive.

I like the rookies v sophmores. Reckon it's a good challenge and makes the young guys want to play harder against eachother during the season.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:43 am
tHe_dIsEaSe wrote:I think the three point contest should be replaced by a one on one contest. The rookie vs. sophmore game should be replaced by rookies vs. legends. The shooting stars game should be an actual 3 on 3 game. The skills contest should involve defense. The dunk contest should be mandatory if the league wants you or do it or should have some sort of incentive.

No event should be mandatory. After all, the ASW is not part of the competition, so, if a player doesn't want to go, he should be free to do so. And I'm not talking only about the dunk contest, but the whole ASW.

Incentives, well, that's a different matter...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:06 am
TMC wrote:
tHe_dIsEaSe wrote:I think the three point contest should be replaced by a one on one contest. The rookie vs. sophmore game should be replaced by rookies vs. legends. The shooting stars game should be an actual 3 on 3 game. The skills contest should involve defense. The dunk contest should be mandatory if the league wants you or do it or should have some sort of incentive.

No event should be mandatory. After all, the ASW is not part of the competition, so, if a player doesn't want to go, he should be free to do so. And I'm not talking only about the dunk contest, but the whole ASW.

Incentives, well, that's a different matter...

Exactly! There are enough rules for these employees

Next

Return to Sports Board