Tim Duncan
No votes
Kevin Garnett
No votes

Total votes : 10

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:01 pm
TMC wrote:and bball is already changing to a high-scoring, no-contact sport.

This statement right here sums up all of my frustrations. All of the rules being made are inspiring quicker, outside, open play... compared to the previous type of ball where you had a defender leaning on your back the entire game. I'm tired of watching basketball games and hearing whistles every trip down the floor. Some of these fouls are ridiculous.

Boxing out from yesteryear. No doubt, whistles would be blowing the minute these two got airbourne and somebody yelped from getting pushed.

This is the result: where rebounding now becomes more about who can jump the highest at the right time, instead of who can force their way into proper positioning. Does anybody see ANY potential boxing out around Mr. Duncan?

Anthony Mason, Larry Johnson, and Charles Barkley were all undersized (Johnson and Mason were listed at 6'7", Barkley at 6'6", and everyone knew that they were all shorter than that)... but they were bulldogs who fought their way underneath and came up with over 8 rebounds a night because they WANTED the ball more. If you read the names of NBA players who top the rebounding list today, you'll find players like Garnett, Marion, Camby, Yao, Murphy... a bunch of non-muscular bean-poles with long arms and height (all are above 6'10"). I guarentee you, Anthony Mason would have eaten up any of the above for breakfast.

The game wants to accomodate for the guards moreso than the big men... and, in doing so, it's forcing the big men to play like guards. I, personally, find it disgusting.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:50 pm
Nowadays they call the game the same way for all players that they used to call it for shaq and shaq alone
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:07 pm
Shaq was one of the few in the league who got hit with fouls (legit fouls) everytime he touched the ball. You may think he got some easy whistles, but the ref's missed a ton of calls for him. I've seen Shaq get slapped across the face and not get a call before.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:18 pm
so here's the question: If we have trigger-happy refs and any contact is a foul, all in the name of a wide-open scoring game, why is scoring down so much from the roughnd tumble 80s?
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:57 pm
Lordsofacid wrote:The fact of the matter is the style of basketball in the NBA is changing by rule changes made by the NBA. Mchale was a great post player but he was not a big muscled ogre either. He was 6'10" tall and thin like Dirk. In McHales' generation if you were 6' 10" tall that meant you played in the post. He was not a banger but developed a style of multiple post moves to beat bigger stronger inside players. It was his rookie year that the NBA introduced the three point line. I think with his aptitude of shooting that if Mchale had been brought up in a different era with a three point line he may have been a different player himself.

Also, the NBA has changed a rule that limits the amount of time a player can pound the ball into the hardwood backing down the defender, ALA Charles Barkley, to five seconds. This rule change has also changed how players today play offense and defend.

These two rules have changed the NBA game that we watch today and how the players play. It is not that players are necessarily soft today but they have adapted to the rules. There are a lot of other rules that have also changed that effect the style of basketball and all of them together have molded the style of game that the NBA wants to produce and promote.

Agree totally!!!!

Things have been changed to make the game faster, yet harder to score, with zone defense and other rules that have been introduced. Post players find it harder now as compared to the 80s and that may make it hard for a player like Ike Diogu to ever get anywhere near his full potential.

Though there are alot more athletes today than in the 80s, the stars of the 80s (guys like Isiah Thomas, Dominique, Bernard King etc) were exceptional athletes that could run and move very fast. The high scoring of the 80s will never return unless some of these rules that aid defense are not changed back to what it was like in the 80s

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:13 pm
Marion is 6FT 7IN #32

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:40 pm
You're right, my mistake. He didn't seem as though he belonged on the list; I attribute his rebounding more to his quick second jump than his height.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:13 am
coltraning wrote:so here's the question: If we have trigger-happy refs and any contact is a foul, all in the name of a wide-open scoring game, why is scoring down so much from the roughnd tumble 80s?

I think it's due to what I said. Coaches prepare their team better defensively, and thus scoring goes down. That's the reason there are new rules to help scoring. And it shows, as scoring is higher than a few years ago (remember the year of the Spurs vs Knicks finals?. That could have been the worst year for offensive bball in league history).

And I don't think post players have it harder than ever. It's just that there are no post players nowadays. Everybody wants to be able to do it all, shoot from the outside, run, assist... but not bang inside.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:47 am
How do you put pics into a post? #32 has that pic of RunTMC and just had the Kemp and Barkley pic as well in a recent post on this thread. How do you do that?

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:37 am
Those are different kind of pictures. The pictures into the post go in the reply, with the url of the picture between the labels.

The other is a signature (if at the end of the post) or an avatar (just like your "scary good" one). You can turn both on on your profile.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:59 am
TMC wrote:Those are different kind of pictures. The pictures into the post go in the reply, with the url of the picture between the labels.

The other is a signature (if at the end of the post) or an avatar (just like your "scary good" one). You can turn both on on your profile.

Thanks again TMC

All Star
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:57 pm
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:so here's the question: If we have trigger-happy refs and any contact is a foul, all in the name of a wide-open scoring game, why is scoring down so much from the roughnd tumble 80s?

I think it's due to what I said. Coaches prepare their team better defensively, and thus scoring goes down. That's the reason there are new rules to help scoring. And it shows, as scoring is higher than a few years ago (remember the year of the Spurs vs Knicks finals?. That could have been the worst year for offensive bball in league history).

And I don't think post players have it harder than ever. It's just that there are no post players nowadays. Everybody wants to be able to do it all, shoot from the outside, run, assist... but not bang inside.

makes sense, as defense is much tougher than when you watch games from the 60s and 70s - part of the post play is what you say, and part of it is that it is so random what they do or don't calla foul on down low, since there is enough banging, grabbing and arm wrestling down there to call a foul on every play. I can't even count the number of times when one dude has his arm locked through another dude's and nothing happens, then they breath on someone and he goes to the line.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:53 pm
#32 wrote:Shaq was one of the few in the league who got hit with fouls (legit fouls) everytime he touched the ball. You may think he got some easy whistles, but the ref's missed a ton of calls for him. I've seen Shaq get slapped across the face and not get a call before.

Don't get me wrong, Shaq gets brutalized almost every time he touches the ball. I was talking about offensive fouls, which, in the past, only shaq got away with. Now the entire league gets away with them.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:11 am
That I agree with.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:25 pm
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:Those are different kind of pictures. The pictures into the post go in the reply, with the url of the picture between the labels.

Thanks again TMC

Still can't get a pic on my sig! Don't know what is going wrong. I place the url of the pic after the phrase I have as my sig and an error comes up

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board