Tim Duncan
No votes
Kevin Garnett
No votes

Total votes : 10

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:33 pm
Many MVP discussions lead to an argument over what an MVP is so I thought this discussion would be more interesting.

Who do you think is the best player in the NBA?

My vote goes to lebron for his overwhelming godlike numbers. He may be constantly shut down by artest but most people have the same problem.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:29 pm
Good topic, I'm also gonna go with LeBron...

Why?

Because Kobe is a one-man show, AI is a black hole, DWade is too tightly strung together (making him injury prone) and can't hit a trey, Gilbert Arenas choked under the pressure in Game 6, Elton Brand can't flat-out dominate a game at will, Dirk gets cheap calls and hates to play REAL big men basketball, Shaq's out of his prime, Duncan's got the insanely stacked supporting cast, and KG's STILL hasn't been to the big show...

While I await a response for a comment I made about somebody above, I'd like to mention it's interesting you left "the MVP", Steve Nash, off your list...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:20 am
I have to go with LeBron James. Though he is only in his third season, this guy does it all and is really dominating! He has the body and skills to get better and become the greatest player ever.

Great list! Those players would have to be the most dominating as far as scoring alot and having been great players for most of their careers.

I think KG is an alltime great but he doesn't have the guard skills to go with the bigman skills. Lebron James can play inside as well as drive and shoot the three. I assume best here means the most skilled and dominant.

Steve Nash is not dominating as far as scoring alot and making the defense stop him.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:04 am
#32 wrote:While I await a response for a comment I made about somebody above, I'd like to mention it's interesting you left "the MVP", Steve Nash, off your list...

::lol:

This is really hard to do. Even more than the MVP. How can you compare the impact a big guy like Shaq has in a game with a SG?.

So, who's the best?. It depends, I think Lebron is not there yet. He has the highest ceiling, but still is not the best player of the whole league. And every other guy has issues. Even KG, who could be the most complete player in that list, and still wasn't able to lead his team to the playoffs.

So, I'll go with Kobe (and I hate to do so :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:. But it's not about liking the guy. Put Lebron on the west with that roster and the Lakers wouldn't be on the playoffs)
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:47 am
This was a hard deciscion, but I choose Dirk. I think Dirk is a great example of how basketball is evolving. Dirk is like a less athletic KG, but with a deadly shot. Everybody knows that when Terry and Dirk do a pick and roll, Dirk is going to flare out to three point line and nail it, yet nobody can stop it...
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:55 am
#32 wrote:
Dirk gets cheap calls and hates to play REAL big men basketball

This is what I like about Dirks game. He is changing the way the PF position is traditionaly played. This gives him a leg up on almost all PF's in the league...

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:09 pm
currently...kobe. starting next season and many years to come...The King..LeBron James hands down.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:39 pm
Big B wrote:
#32 wrote:

This is what I like about Dirks game. He is changing the way the PF position is traditionaly played. This gives him a leg up on almost all PF's in the league...

The way I see it, we already have guards that play soft, outside shooting games. Fans like me enjoy the post game (and there aren't too many REAL post players anymore). Used to be, every game would feature a battle under the hole. Kemp vs Mason. LJ vs Oakley. X-Man vs McHale. The Mailman facing off against Barkley. Nowadways, what do you have? KG floats around the perimeter, Dirk lives out there, Brand is close... but relies too much on his midrange. It's just sad for a guy like me who enjoyed watching this clash of titans battle the entire game for possesions and positioning. Nowadays, the giants are dainty and soft. It's disgusting. Hell, even centers like Yao and Brad Miller are ushering in a new, cupcake era where big men aren't valued for their muscle and rebounding ability; but rather, for their little J at the top of the key? You're right... the league is changing, but some of us don't particularly like it.

Like I've said before, big men who hate banging around are the metrosexuals of basketball.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:00 pm
It is a great and tough one. Actually a lot harder call for me than Nash for MVP. And no, he doesn't belong on the list of the best players, that's a distinctly different proposition than mvp. I HATE to say Kobe and agree that Lebron is there, maybe next year, but Kobe's defense and killer instinct (almost psycho) gives him a small edge this year ugggh...Kobe
:sad1:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:06 pm
#32 wrote:
Big B wrote:
#32 wrote:

The way I see it, we already have guards that play soft, outside shooting games. Fans like me enjoy the post game (and there aren't too many REAL post players anymore). Used to be, every game would feature a battle under the hole. Kemp vs Mason. LJ vs Oakley. X-Man vs McHale. The Mailman facing off against Barkley. Nowadways, what do you have? KG floats around the perimeter, Dirk lives out there, Brand is close... but relies too much on his midrange. It's just sad for a guy like me who enjoyed watching this clash of titans battle the entire game for possesions and positioning. Nowadays, the giants are dainty and soft. It's disgusting. Hell, even centers like Yao and Brad Miller are ushering in a new, cupcake era where big men aren't valued for their muscle and rebounding ability; but rather, for their little J at the top of the key? You're right... the league is changing, but some of us don't particularly like it.

Like I've said before, big men who hate banging around are the metrosexuals of basketball.

:pirate:
word...that is the primary attraction for me of watching Diogu - he is almost an endangered species, a PF who likes to bang, can score down low easily, is an awesome and 1 AND has a sweet 18 footer...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:27 pm
Seriously! I'm so excited with these young kids lately, though. Guys like Ike, Dwight Howard, Vareajo, and Emeka are giving me hope... I'm also excited for LaMarcus (when he gets here). Power forwards today got a lotta sizzle, but no steak.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:35 am
#32 wrote:The way I see it, we already have guards that play soft, outside shooting games. Fans like me enjoy the post game (and there aren't too many REAL post players anymore). Used to be, every game would feature a battle under the hole. Kemp vs Mason. LJ vs Oakley. X-Man vs McHale. The Mailman facing off against Barkley.

X-Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my favourite players... ever!!!!!!! :headbang:
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:43 am
#32 wrote:
Big B wrote:
#32 wrote:

Used to be, every game would feature a battle under the hole. Kemp vs Mason. LJ vs Oakley. X-Man vs McHale. The Mailman facing off against Barkley.

During this time basketball was at its best. For better or for worse (I tend to think for worse) basketball is just not the way it used to be. Its not about swinging the ball around and working it into the big man thats posting up. Its a quicker game now. Its one maybe two passes and then the shot.
I remember those great match ups as well, but with todays run and gun style of play the posting up PF of yesterday is phasing out and the "metrosexuals" as comming in...

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:59 am
The fact of the matter is the style of basketball in the NBA is changing by rule changes made by the NBA. Mchale was a great post player but he was not a big muscled ogre either. He was 6'10" tall and thin like Dirk. In McHales' generation if you were 6' 10" tall that meant you played in the post. He was not a banger but developed a style of multiple post moves to beat bigger stronger inside players. It was his rookie year that the NBA introduced the three point line. I think with his aptitude of shooting that if Mchale had been brought up in a different era with a three point line he may have been a different player himself.

Also, the NBA has changed a rule that limits the amount of time a player can pound the ball into the hardwood backing down the defender, ALA Charles Barkley, to five seconds. This rule change has also changed how players today play offense and defend.

These two rules have changed the NBA game that we watch today and how the players play. It is not that players are necessarily soft today but they have adapted to the rules. There are a lot of other rules that have also changed that effect the style of basketball and all of them together have molded the style of game that the NBA wants to produce and promote.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:20 am
Lordsofacid wrote:It is not that players are necessarily soft today but they have adapted to the rules. There are a lot of other rules that have also changed that effect the style of basketball and all of them together have molded the style of game that the NBA wants to produce and promote.

Right, and there's a lot of rules like these in pro sports. Seems like scoring is all that matters. Those same rules have almost erased the shutdown cornerbacks, and bball is already changing to a high-scoring, no-contact sport.

I don't really like them, nor do I think they're so neccesary. The Lakers of Magic were a great offensive team, and at the same time played good defense, all while being entertaining.

My point is that players, and above everyone else, the coaches are the ones that are changing the sport landscape. Why?. Preparing their team better on the defensive side (which is easier than on offense, when you have to, somewhat, rely on the talent of the players).

The rules are only created to react to those changes, to try to create a sense of a dynamic sport that the defensive game doesn't promote. But those rules are hurting the defensive side of the game. It's a vicious circle.
Next

Return to Sports Board