Kobe is the man...

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:06 am
#32 wrote: I hope there's an "heir apparent' to Jordan, but that's different. That simply means I want another player to be able to take over the league and be the face of the NBA, displaying amazing skill and unbelievable talent during pretty much every contest (which is something Mike did).

This statement is exactly what I meant when I made the "another Jordan" refrence. I didn't literaly mean a clone of Jordan....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:32 am
Okay. In my eyes, Kobe's trying to be a clone of Jordan. He's patterned his whole game after Michael. That's why I refuse to believe that Kobe has it in him to carry the league. Because he can't stand on his own and do his own thing; he's mimicking the game of someone else (whereas LeBron is trying to do his own thing... when was the last time someone averaged 30 points, 7 dimes, and 7 boards? I don't think it's been done since Oscar).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:28 pm
Clone of MJ? I really don't think so, yet MJ has influenced us all in a sense. Jordan-esque stereotypes are simply opinions based on similarities. KB8 IS doing his own thing, but I agree that Bron will be the next "icon" of the league. In fact, its downright SCARY to imagine his ceiling ---***030***---
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:35 pm
zero3zero wrote:Clone of MJ? I really don't think so, yet MJ has influenced us all in a sense. Jordan-esque stereotypes are simply opinions based on similarities. KB8 IS doing his own thing

I have to disagree.

Disregarding the Jordan-mannerisms that Bryant apes during game situations (such as during the Phoenix-LA series, where Kobe did Michael's fist pump after hitting a buzzer beater... and, after Raja Bell was suspended, shook his head and finger in a very Jordan-like manner), Kobe Bryant is the only player in the league to use the Jordan-double-fake-fade-away (back to the basket, in the midrange, followed by a shoulder shake, and a fall away jumper). Plenty of players have fade-aways in their arsenal, but Kobe's is undeniably similar to Michael's... and (besides the tongue-flying one-handed jam) that fadeaway jumper was Michael's most famous (and most deadly) move.

Drawing up pages of similarites for the two is quick and painless. They're both 6'6", high flying off-guards who developed deadly shooting touches in the NBA. They handle the ball for their team frequently, distribute to teammates (but only in such a way that gives them an assist), and score 30 points a night. Their defense improved midway through their career to an All-NBA level (both inspired by sharp criticism from league analysts and commentators). And the list goes on and on.

Even Kobe's swagger is Jordan-esque. The way he carries himself, speaks during post-game interviews, throws a fit whenever anybody wraps him up away from the ball... they all look, sound, and feel very close to Jordan. I'd wager to say that Kobe's drawn more MJ comparisons than anybody else... and for good reason. He's practically breaking his back to mimic his idol.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:45 pm
Breaking his back to mimick his idol? Do you actually believe that? Okay dude... that is, of course, your opinion BASED ON SIMILARITIES. Your fade-away and fist-pump statements make a little sense though I've seen Bron and RIP do it too(fist), but breaking his back? TRYING TO BE A CLONE? Nah...---***030***---
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:14 pm
because bron obviously looks up to jordan too. #23 - carries his team on his shoulders. rip hamilton played with jordan. but those rip and lebron dont have the type of "jordan game." kobe is close, and yet he tries too hard.

itts pathetic.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:25 pm
zero3zero wrote:Breaking his back to mimick his idol? Do you actually believe that? Okay dude... that is, of course, your opinion BASED ON SIMILARITIES. Your fade-away and fist-pump statements make a little sense though I've seen Bron and RIP do it too(fist), but breaking his back? TRYING TO BE A CLONE? Nah...---***030***---

There's nothing similar about aping a guy's mannerisms on the floor.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 am
#32 wrote:Even Kobe's swagger is Jordan-esque. The way he carries himself, speaks during post-game interviews, throws a fit whenever anybody wraps him up away from the ball... they all look, sound, and feel very close to Jordan. I'd wager to say that Kobe's drawn more MJ comparisons than anybody else... and for good reason. He's practically breaking his back to mimic his idol.

Specially that. His behavior on the court doesn't remember me MJ so much as out of it.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:11 pm
kobe doing jordan is like watching the American remake of the office, reminds me of all the dudes who imitated Bird, like Mingus said, if charlie parker were a gunslinger, there'd be a whole lot of dead copycats.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Previous

Return to Sports Board