MVP

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:04 pm
and the winner is...

the same guy from last year. steve nash. lebron came in 2nd, then nowitzki, then bryant.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:37 pm
I'm upset with this pick. No disrespect to Steve Nash, but he was out of his league this season. LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and Elton Brand clearly deserved it ahead of him.

LeBron because he's putting up Oscar Robertson numbers

Kobe because 81 only happens once in a lifetime... plus he lead the league in scoring AND brought the talent-less Lakers back to the post season.

And Brand because his averages (across the board) were spectacular... but even more amazing is the fact that he's taken a last-place Clippers franchise and (in the span of one-year) brought them to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Nash had a good season, I'll give him that... but (aside from Amare's injury) he had plenty of weapons to back him up (same with Dirk). Nash and Nowitski don't get my pick because people vote for them purely because they are the best players on good teams... but the truth is that they both have deep, talented lineups supporting them. Kobe and Elton got their teams into the post season by dragging them by themselves. Nash may have brought the Lakers to the playoffs in Kobe's place... but Dirk definately wouldn't have.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:54 pm
MVP's dont go out and score 81 points. more reason for kobe NOT to win it.

lebron should of received it the award. he needs something nice to happen to him after the piston's whooped him. i smell SWEEP. get the **** outta here cleveland.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:33 pm
I think they'll win one. Detroit's bound to get lazy (and LeBron will have at least one game where he full-on explodes).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:39 am
#32 wrote:I'm upset with this pick. No disrespect to Steve Nash, but he was out of his league this season. LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and Elton Brand clearly deserved it ahead of him.

Also Nowitzky and Wade before Nash... Not as MVPs, only more deserving than Nash (to me, the clear MVP is Bryant, with Lebron a close second. Comparing rosters, Lebron has a lot more help than Bryant. Hence, Byrant is the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER for his team. Doesn't mean he's the best player, just more valuable).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:01 am
I picked Nash to win and I'm happy he did! The driver of the fairly hotted up machine has proven for two seasons that he is the brains that makes that team work and without him they play real bad! Almost as good a season as last season and without the man that many were saying is an MVP himself is a great showing of the importance of Nash!

Lebron second, Dirk third is about right but Kobe to me id just not worthy of being high in the MVP rankings. Arenas is more worthy as he has barely more talent on his team than Kobe does but he wills them to winning. Cassell should also get good ranking as he seemed like the brain that made the Clips go, much like Nash did for the Suns

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:08 am
migya wrote:
Kobe to me id just not worthy of being high in the MVP rankings. Arenas is more worthy as he has barely more talent on his team than Kobe does but he wills them to winning.

Jamison, Butler, Daniels... I think that qualifies as better help than Kobe's. I'm not rooting for Kobe, I really doon't like him, but what he's done leading the Fakers to the playoffs is impressive.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:28 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
Kobe to me id just not worthy of being high in the MVP rankings. Arenas is more worthy as he has barely more talent on his team than Kobe does but he wills them to winning.

Jamison, Butler, Daniels... I think that qualifies as better help than Kobe's. I'm not rooting for Kobe, I really doon't like him, but what he's done leading the Fakers to the playoffs is impressive.

Odom is better than Jamison and Parker might be better than Daniels. The Wizards are not much better than the Lakers

All Star
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:08 am
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:I'm upset with this pick. No disrespect to Steve Nash, but he was out of his league this season. LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and Elton Brand clearly deserved it ahead of him.

Wade before Nash

how do you figure? wade had better team mates and finished with a worse record in a worse conference. Seems like a no brainer in this case
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:24 am

LeBron because he's putting up Oscar Robertson numbers

Kobe because 81 only happens once in a lifetime... plus he lead the league in scoring AND brought the talent-less Lakers back to the post season.

And Brand because his averages (across the board) were spectacular... but even more amazing is the fact that he's taken a last-place Clippers franchise and (in the span of one-year) brought them to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Nash had a good season, I'll give him that... but (aside from Amare's injury) he had plenty of weapons to back him up (same with Dirk). Nash and Nowitski don't get my pick because people vote for them purely because they are the best players on good teams... but the truth is that they both have deep, talented lineups supporting them. Kobe and Elton got their teams into the post season by dragging them by themselves. Nash may have brought the Lakers to the playoffs in Kobe's place... but Dirk definately wouldn't have.

Nash definitely deserved it ahead of brand. Brand had a better supporting cast than Nash and his team finished with a worse record. Kobe had a phenomenal individual season but you don't give somebody MVP for 81. Also, I think that since Kobe had pretty much the exact same sqaud from last year, the success was mainly due to the Zenmaster (I hate the zenmaster but props where props are due. he's one helluva coach) and BumpyHead Odom finally learning the triangle offense (he started averaging about 18-10-6 down the stretch and that was when the lakers started making their push). I would definitely not think it unfair if LeBron or Dirk had gotten the award but I think nash is the best choice. I mean who would have thought last year that James Jones, Boris Diaw, Kurt Thomas, Tim Thomas, Leandro Barbosa, and Eddie House formed a "deep and talented lineup". And three years ago, people would have predicted a team with this roster to win about 25 games.

Also, it has to be taken into account that nash
Lost:
a 25 ppg scorer
an 18 ppg scorer who is now the #1 player on another team
and the leagues leader in three point makes
and gained:
The worst player on the worst team in the league
A player the bulls waived
A player the knicks would give up for yet another headcase 2 guard
A player who is famous for sharp elbows
A player who pretty much no non-pacer fan had heard of
A point guard who never passed and didn't play much for the bobcats

The loss of a star, another good player, and another starter would make most teams lose at least 20-25 wins. Somehow, the suns barely missed a beat, playing like a 58 win team and getting the second seed.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:46 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

Odom is better than Jamison and Parker might be better than Daniels. The Wizards are not much better than the Lakers

I disagree. Jamison and Odom are pretty much a toss-up, but there's no way in hell Smush Parker is better than Antonio Daniels.

Besides, Smush is a starter and Antonio is a backup... and I think comparing a backup to one of LA's starters pretty much proves that Washington had the better team.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:32 pm
Nash didn't deserve it this year, nor (IMO) last.---***030***---
All Star
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:16 pm
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

I disagree. Jamison and Odom are pretty much a toss-up, but there's no way in hell Smush Parker is better than Antonio Daniels.

Besides, Smush is a starter and Antonio is a backup... and I think comparing a backup to one of LA's starters pretty much proves that Washington had the better team.

I agree, Kobe had a terrible supporting cast.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:34 am
tHe_dIsEaSe wrote:Nash definitely deserved it ahead of brand. Brand had a better supporting cast than Nash and his team finished with a worse record. Kobe had a phenomenal individual season but you don't give somebody MVP for 81. Also, I think that since Kobe had pretty much the exact same sqaud from last year, the success was mainly due to the Zenmaster (I hate the zenmaster but props where props are due. he's one helluva coach) and BumpyHead Odom finally learning the triangle offense (he started averaging about 18-10-6 down the stretch and that was when the lakers started making their push). I would definitely not think it unfair if LeBron or Dirk had gotten the award but I think nash is the best choice. I mean who would have thought last year that James Jones, Boris Diaw, Kurt Thomas, Tim Thomas, Leandro Barbosa, and Eddie House formed a "deep and talented lineup". And three years ago, people would have predicted a team with this roster to win about 25 games.

Also, it has to be taken into account that nash
Lost:
a 25 ppg scorer
an 18 ppg scorer who is now the #1 player on another team
and the leagues leader in three point makes
and gained:
The worst player on the worst team in the league
A player the bulls waived
A player the knicks would give up for yet another headcase 2 guard
A player who is famous for sharp elbows
A player who pretty much no non-pacer fan had heard of
A point guard who never passed and didn't play much for the bobcats

The loss of a star, another good player, and another starter would make most teams lose at least 20-25 wins. Somehow, the suns barely missed a beat, playing like a 58 win team and getting the second seed.

RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!! :D :D :D :D

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:39 am
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

Jamison had a great season and can score and rebound well but Odom has him in both of those categories, as he can score when he wants (as he showed in the last month or two of the season) and he is the playmaker for a team that gives the ball to Kobe all the time. Odom has to distribute, Jamison just has to run and get ready to receive the pass. Odom is also a better defender than Jamison, getting 1 block and 1 steal, sometimes gets 2 or 3 blocks and 2 or 3 steals, Jamison does that once a season if that!

The PFs and Cs of both teams are quite crap and the benchs are similar as well

Next

Return to Sports Board