Josh Smith for Troy Murphy

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:35 am
Why would the Hawks trade their only center away? Without Pachulia, they are pretty much centerless. On top of that, you're talking about $5.5M worth of salary, Josh Smith ($1.5M) and Pachulia ($4M) against Muprhy ($8M) and Pietrus ($2.5M). You're about $5M short on making the salaries match.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:57 am
Check RealGM Trade checker

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:00 pm
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:I'm honestly curious as to why people don't think Atlanta would improve...?

I just don't like a Pachulia/Murph front court. It just looks too soft, and two players of the same kind (although I admit I haven't seen much of Pachulia).

It would be different if Atlanta had a Theo Ratliff (in his good years) to go with Murph and Zaza from the bench.

But it's their problem, if they like that trade, all the better for us.

But the trade involves Murphy being traded for Josh Smith AND Pachulia... they'd need to grab a center in the offseason (I used upcoming free agent, Joel Pryzbilla, as an example).

Either way, if Harrington leaves (which is, basically, what this trade is hinged on), they'll need to find a free agent to sew up one of their positions. Before the Murphy trade, it would be power forward. If they took the Murphy trade, it'd be center. Nothing really changes; they just get better talent for the kind of game they play. Murphy is a halfcourt player and Atlanta plays a halfcourt game. Josh Smith is a fullcourt, fast break player... and that's what Golden State (at least, with Baron Davis) does. It helps both teams.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:02 pm
GSPsycho wrote:Why would the Hawks trade their only center away? Without Pachulia, they are pretty much centerless. On top of that, you're talking about $5.5M worth of salary, Josh Smith ($1.5M) and Pachulia ($4M) against Muprhy ($8M) and Pietrus ($2.5M). You're about $5M short on making the salaries match.

No, it works because Murphy's got a BYC contract. Check the ESPN trade machine.
Last edited by 32 on Wed May 03, 2006 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:25 pm
Murphy's BYC (Base Year Compensation) status was for the 2005/06 season. These sites, including RealGM, are not going to update player's status until the trade season begins. Dunleavy is no long a poison pill player but will be upgraded to a base year one. Murphy's salary will be for full price for 2006/07.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:07 pm
Personallly i think we should trade
josh smith for ike diogu and Chris taft.
we get our future SF.
they get there big PF prospect and give more space for marvin and josh at the SF.
Warriors all the way in the future.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:17 pm
NO WAY!

Ike is OUR power forward prospect! He's got way too much potential to be thrown into a stocking stuffer with Chris Taft for Josh Smith.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:59 am
i would do murphy for josh smith any day of the week.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:30 am
ChronicallyInclined wrote:i would do murphy for josh smith any day of the week.

The Hawks wouldn't!

We know how good the players on our team are but some don't realise that almost all have still not performed to their abilities yet or have played bad recently. The rest of the nba thinks, and rightfully so due to the team's performances, that the Warriors don't have talented players and are still a mediocre team with average talent.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:21 am
But would the Hawks do Pietrus for Pachulia? Odds are, hell yeah they would.

Pietrus is still the most hyped youngster on the Warriors bench. You listen to ESPN or TNT whenever the Warriors are on national TV and everybody ALWAYS talks about Pietrus, like he's some sort of budding star. Best believe the Hawks probably still think that, too. Putting Pietrus in a trade with Murphy for Smith & Zaza would work out in the end.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:12 pm
#32 wrote:But would the Hawks do Pietrus for Pachulia? Odds are, hell yeah they would.

I don't think they would. Center is the most difficult possition to fill, and just because everybody is a PF nowadays. There are no true centers left. That makes them overpaid as a whole (Foyle is a clear example), while swingmen are dime a dozen.

Also, they're paying a ton of money to JJ and also have Childress, Marvin, Josh Smith (he would come to the W's in the trade, I know, but still is a Hawks player that has more potential than Pietrus)...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:33 pm
But if Harrington leaves the Hawks, they'll be left wide open at power forward... leaving them open to negotiation when it comes to a player like Troy Murphy who (as a 3rd option on a team featuring a superstar backcourt) has proven himself a capable 15 & 10 (something that's not too common in the NBA... and definately not available elsewhere for as cheap as he is). I haven't researched this past season, but in the previous one (the 04'-05' season) the only other players to average over 15 points and over 10 rebounds were Shaquille O'Neal, KG, Elton Brand, and Shawn Marion. Out of those 5 (O'Neal, KG, Brand, Marion, and Murphy), who do you think is getting paid the least? Provided he can't play a breath of defense compared to the other 4... but he's still an attractive player on the trade market... so teams will most likely take notice.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:58 pm
so what ur saying, #32 that you wouldnt trade ike and taft for josh smith.
I hate to break it to you but Troy is our future at PF mully signed him to that big contract. Josh smith at SF is taller and rebounded more than ike. His D is a lot better, can score and can run with the warriors. Though i understand he is our only lost post threat, but i thought the warriors were a fastbreak team.
Warriors all the way in the future.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:04 pm
If "Troy is our future", than how come we offered him up to Indiana for Ron Artest... and ceased trade talks with them when they demanded Diogu instead...?

If Murphy's the future, why's he on the trade block this summer?

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:42 pm
Oh, God please don't let Murphy be our future at PF. kyle if you're actually Chris Mullin than I'm going to kill someone...
PreviousNext

Return to Trades