Kobe is the man...

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:14 am
What more can be said? Everybody is making a big deal about Nash leading the Suns and playing so well without Stoudemire, well what about Kobe leading the Lakers this far without Shaq.
With this series, we're seeing a whole new side of Kobe. He's passing and not scoring 40 pts. a game.
When can we put Kobe's name up there with Jordan's as the best to ever play the game???
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:30 am
When he wins a championship by himself.

Let's be honest; even if the Lakers make it into the next round, the Clippers have owned them this season.

Taking the illusion a step further, imagine they make the conference finals and play the Spurs/Mavericks. I guarentee they'd be destroyed.

Lastly... picture the Lakers against the Heat or the Pistons in the NBA Finals. Can you say SWEEP?

Don't get me wrong; Kobe's my pick for MVP this season (even though I bet on LeBron a month ago)... but this whole series is a joke. The Suns should be destroying the Lakers... and I guarentee if Phoenix doesn't come back, the Clippers will finish them off in Round 2.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:27 pm
"When can we put Kobe's name up there with Jordan's as the best to ever play the game??? "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that **** will never come out of my mouth. they seperate players. respect it.

why are the suns playing like garbage??? i wanted to see the fakers get RUN out of the gym.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:47 pm
Big B wrote:Kobe leading the Lakers this far without Shaq.
When can we put Kobe's name up there with Jordan's as the best to ever play the game???

After he wins two more NBA Championships. I am with you Big B, Kobe has been great but for only a couple of games in this payoff series. Jordan was the man for six straight. (not including the two seasons he missed player 32). Kobe is on his way, Lebron might end up being like Charles Barkley. A great player but always had to play Kobe for a championship.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:56 pm
kobe vs lebron for the championship. that jus brings back the good ol days of ball when it was johnson vs bird vs jordan. those were the best.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:58 pm
Kobe versus LeBron would be a great series... but I still see Cleveland taking it over the Lakers...

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:12 pm
That triangle's no joke. Clev VS LaL, NOW, would be a 7 game series. KB8 should be the MVP period. He's practically unstopable in everyway---***030***---

LJ will be just as good, if not better. Wade can crack through the top too but we'll have 2 see him w/o Shaq to trully analyze...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:47 am
Big B wrote:When can we put Kobe's name up there with Jordan's as the best to ever play the game???

Um..., can you say... never?. Great player, yeah, but you can't compare him to Jordan. Not until he wins 6 titles without Shaq.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:01 am
#32 wrote:Don't get me wrong; Kobe's my pick for MVP this season (even though I bet on LeBron a month ago)... but this whole series is a joke. The Suns should be destroying the Lakers... and I guarentee if Phoenix doesn't come back, the Clippers will finish them off in Round 2.

I'll admit that bringing Kobe's name up in the same sentence as Jordan's is a little premature and outlandish, but if the Lakers end up beating the Suns and moving on to round 2, then that in itself is a storybook ending to the Lakers season that deserves some recognition...
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:42 am
drfrank wrote: i wanted to see the fakers get RUN out of the gym.

As did I, but its not happening that way. The Suns are just laying down as the Lakers walk all over them. I certainly didn't see this comming, which is why Kobe as a ball player moved up a notch in my book...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:30 pm
Kobe gets a ton of credit. He's a great player whose finally leading the team (sucessfully) by himself. However, you don't go into Jordan, Bird, Magic, Oscar, and the rest of their category without winning the big one (as the team's leader). During the Laker's championship heyday, it was clear that Shaq was Michael and Kobe was Pippen... which is probably why it drove Bryant so crazy (hence, bye bye, Diesel).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:43 am
Big B wrote:What more can be said? Everybody is making a big deal about Nash leading the Suns and playing so well without Stoudemire, well what about Kobe leading the Lakers this far without Shaq.
With this series, we're seeing a whole new side of Kobe. He's passing and not scoring 40 pts. a game.

Kobe Bryant is in the elite group of players in the nba right now, a real superstar. However, the definition of MVP is the player that, without him, his team would be far worse. In other words, the player that means most to his team's wins! Take away Steve Nash and you have a 30-35 wins Phoenix Suns team!!!! Steve Nash makes his teammates so much better than what they would be on other teams (Bell, Barbosa, Amare, Diaw a bit and Marion). Kobe Bryant trys to do it all himself more than anything (even though he has defered a bit to his teammates lately, especially the very talented Lamar Odom) and does not make his teammates better but probably hinders them from being as good as they can be (Like Iverson who does similar).

Kobe Bryant had his best season this season and was the scoring leader for the first time. He gets his share of rebounds, assists and steals, much like players like James, TMac and Pierce, and that shows that he is a talented player. People are so caught up with Kobe that they forget that there is a player in the nba that has done what he did this season many times in his career and that is Allen Iverson. Iverson is much smaller than Kobe (an obvious disadvantage because everybody is so much taller than he is) and has never had anyone close to being a star next to him on his team (Chris Webber is the best so far!), nor a great coach (like Phil Jackson). Iverson has been scoring champion some 4 or 5 times, more than any active player in the nba right now.

Kobe Bryant, as #32 pointed out, was the second best player on the Lakers championship teams, the Scottie Pippen to Shaq, the Jordan. Until Kobe can win two or three championships being the best player, with maybe one other star next to him, he will never be the winner that Jordan was. Kobe will just be a potentially great winner who was a freak that wowed people for his whole career, kind of like how Dominique Wilkins did.

Kobe Bryant is interesting and may, with a great coach like Phil Jackson, win many championships with the Lakers but he has to prove it and he hasn't yet

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:48 am
... wait, migya... did you just say that the Suns are worse without Nash than the Lakers are without Kobe???

Even though they have Mr. Triple Double Boris Diaw and quickest 2nd jump in the NBA Shawn Marion? I'll agree that Nash makes players like Raja Bell, Tim Thomas, and Barbosa better... but I still think the Suns would kill the Lakers without their stars in the game (ie, Kobe & Nash). And when you factor in AMARE, it gets a lot more obvious...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:33 am
Only thing that needs to be said is - Look at the 3 or 4 games last season where Nash was injured, the Suns went from scoring 110pts a game to not even scoring 90! Amare and all! This season, the Suns would be rather horrible and LOST without Nash!

Steve Nash is more important to the current Suns team unlike many players in history have been to their teams

migya make the ring fall on ya

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:40 am
the lakers without kobe are jus as bad as the sixers without iverson. so i hope you were kiddin about the suns worse without nash than lakers without kobe.
Next

Return to Sports Board