Rockets Trade

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:52 pm
But Swift would mind. In his train of thought, he's a starting PF in the NBA (and God knows he's getting paid as such). Swift is in the same category as K-Mart & Boozer... sure, they put up decent numbers (occasionally), but they're overpaid and fundamentally retarded. Tall, strong players who can leap out of the rafters often are.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:49 am
Swift is worse than K-Mart of Booze (and paid way less, btw). At least K-Mart can defend and Loozer gets a lot of boards. Swift is only good for a bunch of highlights.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:58 am
Swift is alright as a backup and the Warriors need to get rid of Murphy so Diogu can start. Swift is apossible answer and his contract is not as bad as Murphy's at least

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:44 pm
Swift doesn't do anything, though. He doesn't consistently score, rebound, or block shots. His range extends out to shallow midrange and he can't pass to save his life. Like TMC said, he's only good for throwing down a high-flying alley-oop every once and a while.

Why, exactly, would we trade Murphy for somebody with no talent?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:18 pm
Somebody that can score inside, crashes the boards and plays good defense is someone who is talented. Swift would be a good bench player for the warriors, with his effort and defense. Murphy does not give the defense so right there that is a step up, filling a need of the team

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:48 pm
migya wrote:Somebody that can score inside, crashes the boards and plays good defense is someone who is talented.

I agree. But what does that have to do with Stomile Swift? He can't do any of those things consistently.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:14 am
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:Somebody that can score inside, crashes the boards and plays good defense is someone who is talented.

I agree. But what does that have to do with Stomile Swift? He can't do any of those things consistently.

And you get access to as many games as you want!!!! :roll:

I've only seen 4 Grizzlies games and in all of them, Swift goes for alot of rebounds and blocks but does seem limited offensively! A good backup is someone that is very good in a couple of areas and gives effort Swift seems like that. In 35mins he would average close to 10 rebounds

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:55 pm
35 minutes is not backup tick.

Stromile Swift averages 4.5 rebounds in 20 minutes a night. That means he'd grab 9 in 40 minutes a night. That's horrible for a guy as gifted as him. He can jump out of the building, he's as strong as an ox, and his second jump is quicker than most bigs in the NBA. Physically, he's as gifted as Kevin Garnett! The fact that he rebounds so poorly is a testiment to his work ethic and fundamental skill.

Apparently, in those "4 games you saw", you didn't pay attention to fundamentals at all. Stromile Swift's boxing out skills are middle-school level and his blocks (that you praised so highly) are often cheap, weak-side help swats (which are major gambles, because they leave his man wide open under the hole). Half the time, the other team gets an easy dunk due to Swift's gambles. Yao Ming isn't mobile enough to cover both sides of the hoop, so when Swift gets caught jumping at Yao's man (and a good passing center, like Brad Miller or Shaq are underneath), the result is usually 2 points against the Rockets (as it was with the Grizzlys).

But, usually, his 2 handed hammer slams were more than enough to make the untrained eye forget about his rebounding, offensive, or defensive woes. Highlights are all well and good, but substance is what actually counts... and Stromile Swift has none.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:25 pm
Swift is an athlete but not in the KG range but anyway.

I'd rather have him coming off the bench than Murphy because it wouldn't work with Murphy.

Juwon Howard is another idea but I just don't like him much anymore. He should be doing far better than he is, like he did some 3 seasons ago.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:08 pm
migya wrote:Swift is an athlete but not in the KG range but anyway.

KG has an inch on him, but Swift makes up for it by being stronger than Garnett. They are identical in speed, quickness, leaping, and endurance.

migya wrote:I'd rather have him coming off the bench than Murphy because it wouldn't work with Murphy.

It wouldn't work with Swift either.

migya wrote:Juwon Howard is another idea but I just don't like him much anymore. He should be doing far better than he is, like he did some 3 seasons ago.

Eh... Juwan hasn't really felt his niche since Webber left Washington in the Richmond trade. He was terrific alongside his old college teammate... but I wouldn't take Juwan for anything more than a very talented role player, at this point. His main functions have been reduced to rebounding, defending, and very rare low-post scoring... compared to his days on Washington, where he could distribute and hit from the outside.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:21 pm
Garnett is 7ft tall! Swift is 6'9'! That's three inches. KG is more athletic but anyway.

The issue is having a PF, if Taft is not ready, that can backup Diogu, prefferably one that is not getting paid that much better with Murphy's contract, it is hard to get a low paid player in return. Murphy would not take to being the backup well at all and I actually think he would not produce much at al and would probably demand a trade immediately. He is paid way too much to come off the bench anyway!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:13 am
migya wrote:Garnett is 7ft tall! Swift is 6'9'! That's three inches. KG is more athletic but anyway.

Okay. Garnett has 3 inches on him. Swift's still stronger... and they remain identicle in every other athletic contest. Extremely evenly matched, physically.

migya wrote:The issue is having a PF, if Taft is not ready, that can backup Diogu, prefferably one that is not getting paid that much better with Murphy's contract, it is hard to get a low paid player in return. Murphy would not take to being the backup well at all and I actually think he would not produce much at al and would probably demand a trade immediately. He is paid way too much to come off the bench anyway!

Well, than we'd best start looking in other areas. Houston is not the place to start looking for backup 4's.

Also... why do we need a backup power forward?? Assuming we trade Murphy, we'll still have 3 (Zarko with offense, Taft with defense, and Ike whose good at everything)... why the need for 4? You want a backup's backup's backup?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:08 am
#32 wrote:Also... why do we need a backup power forward?? Assuming we trade Murphy, we'll still have 3 (Zarko with offense, Taft with defense, and Ike whose good at everything)... why the need for 4? You want a backup's backup's backup?

I think Zarko is more of a SF, doesn't matter how tall he is but yea, he is alright at PF. Thing is, what will happen with Taft? Is he going to be healthy or not? If not, another PF, capable of some good rebounding and defense is needed and that is something that Murphy cold be traded for!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:20 am
I think Taft deserves another year before we make that decision. He showed very solid promise in limited time. I'd like to explore the option of him at backup 4 until he gives us a more solid reason not to. Another injury riddled year (like this one) would be good cause... but, in the meantime, I'd like to give him another shot.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:40 am
#32 wrote:I think Taft deserves another year before we make that decision. He showed very solid promise in limited time. I'd like to explore the option of him at backup 4 until he gives us a more solid reason not to. Another injury riddled year (like this one) would be good cause... but, in the meantime, I'd like to give him another shot.

Definately Taft should not be dealt away as he is an interesting player that could really help the team, sice there is a deficiency of talented big guys

PreviousNext

Return to Trades