Baron and Murphy for Okafor and Knight

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:18 am
I've started thinking about what the Bobcats need and it is alot. They will have lottery picks for the next 3 to 5 years at least and they are in need of some veteran players that are very productive. Baron would give them a better PG than they could probably ever get and Murphy would give them a rebounder on par with Okafor but that has outside shooting ability and isn't a player that has had serious injury problems. Knight would give the Warriors a proven very good PG that likes to pass first and that plays great defense (desperately needed). Okafor gives an inside scorer and great rebounder that also plays some defense.

This trade works for both teams because Baron and Okafor are the major pieces that fill needs but Knight and Murphy replace them adequately so both positions are covered.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:49 am
We can only wish, can't we?

No on the Charlotte side. They already have their pg of the future in Ray Felton, and Okafor is their franchise player... if he ever plays a full season. Also, it doesn't work cap wise, Charlotte would have to trade their full team to match Baron's contract.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:55 am
TMC wrote:We can only wish, can't we?

No on the Charlotte side. They already have their pg of the future in Ray Felton, and Okafor is their franchise player... if he ever plays a full season. Also, it doesn't work cap wise, Charlotte would have to trade their full team to match Baron's contract.

Forget the fukin contracts then!!!!!!

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:49 am
That's not a possibility, migya. Those darn rules. They ruin everything.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:47 pm
The bobcats are nearly impossible to trade with because of their low salaries

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:29 am
That makes them able to take over any contract (if they wish to do so) once they have their full cap.

But I don't think they'll do it. It makes more sense to save all that money for free agents once they have a couple of good drafts more.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:58 am
TMC wrote:That makes them able to take over any contract (if they wish to do so) once they have their full cap.

But I don't think they'll do it. It makes more sense to save all that money for free agents once they have a couple of good drafts more.

Best thing for the Bobcats is to get lottery picks for the next two seasons at least and pick up any major freeagent they can. They play their cards right and they should be able to contend for playoffs in three years

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:15 am
I like the way the Bobcats are building their team. Call me crazy, but I think these guys are going to be major players in a few years...

I mean, they did the right thing, starting off with a good frontline in Okafor, Brezec, & May. Can you imagine those three in another two years? That's a frontline everybody's going to be jealous of at that time.

Their best expansion pick (Gerald Wallace) turned out to be gold on the defensive end (and will probably be a team-leader in scoring one day). And, on top of that, they picked up one of the best point guards in the draft with Raymond Felton. I know Chris Paul gets all the ink this year, but don't be too quick to write off Felton. He has the ability to be a quick, defensively sound point guard, with a nice outside touch. He'll be seen as a good pickup in another year.

All the Bobcats need to do is pick one of the shooting guards from this year's draft and they're set for a breakout (pending the status of their bench). If they draft well this year, pick up a big free agent, and pray to God that Okafor stays healthy, they'll be a playoff team (especially in the East). Count on it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:14 pm
#32 wrote:I like the way the Bobcats are building their team. Call me crazy, but I think these guys are going to be major players in a few years...

I mean, they did the right thing, starting off with a good frontline in Okafor, Brezec, & May. Can you imagine those three in another two years? That's a frontline everybody's going to be jealous of at that time.

Their best expansion pick (Gerald Wallace) turned out to be gold on the defensive end (and will probably be a team-leader in scoring one day). And, on top of that, they picked up one of the best point guards in the draft with Raymond Felton. I know Chris Paul gets all the ink this year, but don't be too quick to write off Felton. He has the ability to be a quick, defensively sound point guard, with a nice outside touch. He'll be seen as a good pickup in another year.

All the Bobcats need to do is pick one of the shooting guards from this year's draft and they're set for a breakout (pending the status of their bench). If they draft well this year, pick up a big free agent, and pray to God that Okafor stays healthy, they'll be a playoff team (especially in the East). Count on it.

They are doing nicely with their roster. I don't think they will be a playoff team next season but I do think they just need a better SG, Center and another couple of productive guys off their bench and they will be looking very good. Wallace, Okafor and Knight give them three good defensive players and that is more than most teams have

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:07 pm
Don't be too quick to discount Brezec; he shoots a good percentage from the floor and can grab 7 boards a night standing next to Emeka Okafor. It's true he's not the best defensive center in the NBA, but when you're standing next to Okafor (aka, Alonzo Mourning II), you don't really need to be. I'm not saying he's under-rated or anything, but he plays his role nicely for the Bobcats.

Like I said, all Charlotte needs is a SG out of this year's draft. Brandon Roy or Randy Foye would be terrific picks (although, with point guards like Raymond Felton and Brevin Knight, that would make their backcourt extremely small). But, assuming they draft a good SG this year, that would make their lineup for the future:

PG: Felton - Knight
SG: Roy/Foye - Carroll
SF: Wallace - Robinson
PF: Okafor - May
C: Brezec - Ely

That'll be a pretty terrific lineup in a couple years. May is going to really come into his own as an inside scorer, decent low post defender, and fierce rebounder... along with Brevin Knight's point guard pureness (when he's healthy). Melvin Ely and Bernard Robinson are also promising prospects. I daresay if any team in the league has more promising young talent than Golden State, it's Charlotte. They're loaded with potential for the next 10 years.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:52 pm
They do have alot of young talent and they are looking very nice but Prezec is probably not in their future plans. They would either be looking for a Center or if they're smart they would do what I think will be better and that is to have Okafor at Center and Sean May at PF

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:09 pm
Okafor's a bit under-sized for center. It worked for Zo, but his shot-blocking was off the charts (3 blocks a game for a guy whose 6'10"???). May will be a damn good backup, but he needs another year or two to develop. In the meantime, Brezec is their best bet.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:52 am
Okafor is 6ft 11in! that is big enough for Center. He will have to play Center because May will be better than Prezec very soon and he probably is already. They seem to have a good set of players defensively which will bode well

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:50 am
I never liked May's pick. Not with players like Gerald Green still available... It was a mistake, just done to bring NC fans to games. At least Felton was a need (and he did have a promising season).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:49 am
TMC wrote:I never liked May's pick. Not with players like Gerald Green still available... It was a mistake, just done to bring NC fans to games. At least Felton was a need (and he did have a promising season).

It was a smart move getting May, both from a Bobcat's fan point of you and talentwise. The Bobcats need to make the money and get in the fans and getting May and Felton was a good move. May is not a great athlete but he is smart and will develop into a solid player but not great. He might end up good as a sixth man or as trade bait to get a great PF, if Okafor is to be Center. They should just take the best player they can in the draft, as long as it is not a PG. If Okafor can be Center, another PF might be drafted that is better than May and that would give the Bobcats a good frontline rotation. A SG is probably the best thing for them as Felton is more of a PG. Be interesting to see what happens with Knight and Felton as both are good PGs but both are starting material.

If Ellis is to be a backup SG rather than PG, I'd trade Fisher for Knight, if the Bobcats would do that. Knight does not have much of an outside shot but he is a far better defender than Fisher

Next

Return to Trades