Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:42 pm
Mullin: Montgomery will return to Warriors next season
By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
April 17, 2006

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Mike Montgomery will return to coach the Golden State Warriors next season, top executive Chris Mullin said Monday night before the home finale in their 12th consecutive losing season.

Montgomery entered the game against Portland with a 67-95 record in two seasons with the Warriors, who hired him away from Stanford after 18 seasons as a top college coach.

Mullin, who took over as the Warriors' executive vice president of basketball operations four months before hiring Montgomery, affirmed his commitment to the coach despite another underachieving season for a team that's missed the playoffs for a league-worst 12 straight years.

"I think Mike is learning a lot still," Mullin said. "That's to be expected. To me, the last 3-4 weeks, how the team has played in a tough stretch, they've shown a lot of professionalism in this last stretch here."

Montgomery, who signed a four-year contract worth $10 million in 2004, acknowledges his adjustment to the pro game has been bumpy.

With little practice time for a coach known for regimented workouts with the Cardinal, Montgomery has learned the NBA game on the job. Golden State will finish with nearly the same mark as last season's 34-48 club despite a 12-6 start to this season with the additions of Baron Davis and rookie Ike Diogu and Monta Ellis.

"It's more difficult not being able to affect change as much as you thought you could," Montgomery said. "You're pretty much set with what you have, with the players on your team. You don't have a lot of practice time to do things. It's been a challenge."

Mullin put the blame for the Warriors' latest dismal season on his own shoulders, vowing to make adjustments to Golden State's roster in the offseason.

Yet Mullin also pronounced himself happy with the Warriors' core of six veterans signed to long-term contracts: Davis, Jason Richardson, Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, Derek Fisher and Adonal Foyle.

The Warriors have employed nine coaches in the 12 years since they last made the playoffs under Don Nelson in 1994, and Mullin believes continuity will be a key to improving Golden State's core of young talent. And with owner Chris Cohan firmly behind him, Mullin vowed Montgomery will get the chance.

"As the season winds down, I've got a terrible taste in my mouth," Mullin said. "And it's not going to go away until we do something about it."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:26 pm
ChurroChou wrote:"I think Mike is learning a lot still," Mullin said. "That's to be expected. To me, the last 3-4 weeks, how the team has played in a tough stretch, they've shown a lot of professionalism in this last stretch here."

Why Chris thinks that has ANYTHING to do with Montgomery (whose simply thrown his hands in the air and said "let 'em play" these past few weeks) is beyond me. When you have rookies putting up amazing numbers simply out of an on-the-fly lineup that Montgomery pulled out of his hat 20 minutes before the game, you know you have major talent. The fact that we have talent is due to the VP. The fact that our talent is misused is due to the coach. Montgomery should be fired, regardless of Mullin's many excuses (which seem to be covering up the owner's unwillingness to add Mike's name to the multiple coaches he's writing checks for next year).

ChurroChou wrote:With little practice time for a coach known for regimented workouts with the Cardinal,

"It's more difficult not being able to affect change as much as you thought you could," Montgomery said. "You're pretty much set with what you have, with the players on your team. You don't have a lot of practice time to do things. It's been a challenge."

Waitaminute? Is Monty ducking his failure as an NBA head coach with the notion that professional basketball players (who are now being paid millions of dollars to play this game) have LESS practice time than college kids who play this game between studies and social activities? That sounds like a ridiculous claim to me. Monty can schedule 8 hour practices if he wants to (ask Pat Riley). There's no excuse for his dismal season.

ChurroChou wrote:Mullin put the blame for the Warriors' latest dismal season on his own shoulders, vowing to make adjustments to Golden State's roster in the offseason.

"As the season winds down, I've got a terrible taste in my mouth," Mullin said. "And it's not going to go away until we do something about it."

That's what I like to hear out of a VP. Chris Mullin isn't making moronic claims to save his own hide, like Montgomery. He's taking this season as his own personal failure (which, in my opinion, is incorrect because he filled the roster with young, fresh, useable talent... and that's his job). I guess if one wants to be nit-picky, they can make a claim that Mullin was wrong in hiring an 18-year veteran college coach with an incredible winning percentage at a school whose always in the runnings (but that sounds like a good idea on the surface to me, too). Even though excuses can be made both ways for/against Mullin, he's personally ashamed of this season... and is committed to righting this problem. That's the kind of GM I want.

ChurroChou wrote: Mullin believes continuity will be a key to improving Golden State's core of young talent.

Very true

ChurroChou wrote:And with owner Chris Cohan firmly behind him, Mullin vowed Montgomery will get the chance.

"Firmly behind him". More like forcing him into making this whole Montgomery debacle seem like it'll be his fault instead of fixing it at the source (aka, firing Monty). Cohan's inability to shell out a buck is keeping Mullin from doing the right thing. Golden State's owner needs to realize that going over the luxury tax for PLAYERS isn't enough. A good coach is necessary, too.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:44 am
In other words: Cohan doesn't want to fire Monty, because he owes him like $5 million and he would have to pay another coach, so Mully has his hands tied.

btw, any legit NBA coach shouldn't be learning anything...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:50 am
TMC wrote:In other words: Cohan doesn't want to fire Monty, because he owes him like $5 million and he would have to pay another coach, so Mully has his hands tied.

btw, any legit NBA coach shouldn't be learning anything...

:D

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:19 pm
It takes time to develope as a coach, much like players do. I still believe that Monty will be decently successful in about 5-7 years from now. He should be good in about 10. I think Elie will take over soon though, as he is a more rigid, in your face type of player/coach. Wouldn't mind Silas or Collins either---***030***---
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:34 pm
zero3zero wrote:It takes time to develope as a coach, much like players do. I still believe that Monty will be decently successful in about 5-7 years from now. He should be good in about 10. I think Elie will take over soon though, as he is a more rigid, in your face type of player/coach. Wouldn't mind Silas or Collins either---***030***---

No professional sports franchise can wait 5-7 years!!!!!!!!

A man capable of doing the job is needed immediately, especially by the Golden State Warriors who have been in need of decency for quite some time!

Ellie should be given a go but he should only be given one season, two at most to get the job done! Maybe Doug Collins, who has experience, is the best way to go!

ENOUGH OF MEDIOCRITY AND TOUCH UP JOBS! PROPER MANAGEMENT IS NEEDED!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:26 pm
zero3zero wrote:I still believe that Monty will be decently successful in about 5-7 years from now. He should be good in about 10.

:shock: Players don't get that kind of ridiculous time to adjust to the NBA lifestyle! Why would a coach be given this sort of timeframe?! No coach in the NBA ever would have stayed in the league over 5 years if they had the two-year start of Montgomery.

Coaches are hired to make immediate impacts. Good college coaches like Montgomery are a dime a dozen. Especially this day and age, anybody doing the kind of job Monty has done is expendable. Anybody. If Phil F'n Jackson did this badly with the Lakers, he'd be fired, too. Nobody is above the minimum standard.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:43 am
zero3zero wrote:I still believe that Monty will be decently successful in about 5-7 years from now. He should be good in about 10.

I don't know what to say. Just... wow. :shock:

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
zero3zero wrote:It takes time to develope as a coach, much like players do. I still believe that Monty will be decently successful in about 5-7 years from now. He should be good in about 10. I think Elie will take over soon though, as he is a more rigid, in your face type of player/coach. Wouldn't mind Silas or Collins either---***030***---

Ugliest optimism I've ever heard.

Return to News Articles