J23 REMINDS ME OF...

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:19 pm
An athletic version of Michael Finley. Jason has a great work ethic and has good form on his J. I'm not worried @ all about his ft%, cuz I believe he'll improve in that area soon.

On a sidenote, Carney's J looks good too...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:43 pm
J23 REMINDS ME OF...

WELL........

NOT FUKIN DUNNYBOY!!!!!!!!!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:52 am
zero3zero wrote:An athletic version of Michael Finley

Weird, he just reminds me of a younger version of Finley...

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:52 pm
Yeah, but I don't remember MF airbound like J23. He did have a better shot though but...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:40 pm
I agree: Michael Finley's game has always been about shooting the lights out. Unless he's in a dunk contest, you wont catch many MF jams over 7-footers (and the same can be said for when he was young, in his pre-Dallas days).

But the similarities are startling. The rebounding, scoring, leaping, and lukewarm (yet competent) defense all fall into place.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:41 am
Finley has relied more on his outside game with experience. The young Finley, the one in Phoenix and his first years in Dallas, was a lot more explosive, J-Rich like. Maybe not as much, but close. Since then, only a few highlight dunks here and there.

I'm pretty sure J-Rich will go that route, too.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:01 pm
I remember Finley having a quicker step on the drive, but I'm having trouble recalling any episode where Finley posterized anybody. He was a brilliant high-flyer on the break, but I can't recall a worthwhile alley-oop, dunk in traffic, put-back jam, or slam in a center's face. Maybe I'm being too tough on Mike or something, but I don't think he was ever that incredible of a leaper during game situations, which is where JRich appears to thrive.

Guys like Spud Webb, Kenny Smith, Cedric Cebalos, and Harold Miner were amazing to watch during the dunk contest... but didn't carry their air travels with them into any of the season/playoff games (and I think Finley belongs in this group). Richardson belongs in the class with Jordan, Erving, and Dominique; where (no matter how insane their performances were in the dunk contest) their true works of art exploded during game situations.

I remember his dunk contest well (and stood in awe like everybody else), but Finley's never been about the jam during a regular game (no matter how young he was). Finley's dunks were reserved for the fast break... and that's why his outside touch seemed to dominate his game.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Return to Sports Board