Mullin won't accept trade offers for J Rich

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:18 pm
CC Times
Posted on Mon, Mar. 20, 2006
Warriors' role players follow Richardson's leadDunleavy's season-high 28 points, Murphy's double-double paces Golden State over 76ersBy Marcus Thompson IICONTRA COSTA TIMESOAKLAND - With changes to the roster this offseason a real possibility, Warriors guard Jason Richardson brought up a scary thought for Warriors fans.
"What if I'm the one holding this team back?" Richardson half-jokingly asked last week. "What if it's me that needs to go?"
After the season he's had, it would assuredly be hard for fans to envision the Warriors without Richardson. He's been the team's best and most consistent player this season. He really turned it up after the All-Star break: averages of 26.8 points, 5.9 rebounds and 3.8 assists.
He had what might be considered a subpar game for him in Sunday's 98-89 win over the Allen Iverson-less Philadelphia 76ers at the Arena. Playing through a tender left ankle, a sore right knee and sporadic twinges in his lower back, he finished with 23 points on 8-for-19 shooting in 37 minutes.
His teammates had his back, though.
Forward Mike Dunleavy tied his season-high with 28 points on 10-for-17 shooting to go with 10 rebounds and six assists in 41 minutes. Coupled with Thursday's 24-point, six-rebound, four-assist outing against Minnesota, Dunleavy has put together the most productive two-game stretch of his career.
"Mike has come to life the past two games," Warriors coach Mike Montgomery said of Dunleavy, who's made six of his last 11 attempts from 3-point range. "He's been really good. All of a sudden, it makes a whole lot of difference when you have a second guy that can put the numbers up."
Even more, the Warriors got 12 points and 16 rebounds from forward Troy Murphy, 14 points off the bench from swingman Mickael Pietrus, and 12 points and nine assists from guard Derek Fisher.
Of course, Richardson's help hasn't been there enough this season, which is the very reason Chris Mullin, the Warriors executive vice president of basketball operations, may decide to alter the roster. But getting the kind of help the Warriors need without giving up Richardson figures to be challenging.
Mullin can't picture the Warriors without Richardson either. He said last week that trading Richardson has never come up, and if anyone calls about him this offseason he'll "hang it up."
But Richardson is clearly the Warriors' most attractive commodity.
He's emerged as one of the toughest guards to defend, ranking 14th in the league in scoring at 23.6 points per game. He's improved his game every season; this year he's shooting a career-best 40.3 percent from 3-point range and dribbles the ball much better than he ever has.
"He's transformed from an athlete into a skilled player," fellow Michigan native Chris Webber, who led Philadelphia (31-35) with 21 points and nine rebounds. "That's the toughest thing for an athlete is to stop just being an athlete and become a skilled player. He's done that."
The kicker: Richardson's got a favorable contract. He'll make $10 million next season -- $1 million less than Cleveland guard Larry Hughes; $3 million less than Milwaukee guard Michael Redd; nearly $6 million less than Memphis guard Eddie Jones; and $7 million less than Dallas will pay amnestied guard Michael Finley.
With his rate of production, Richardson's salary is a bargain.
So do you walk away from a chance to get the low-post scorer you need or an A-list small forward if it means giving up Richardson? Or do you risk making another Mitch Richmond mistake and trade away an All-Star-caliber player?
"That's the million dollar question right there," said Fisher, who was 4-for-14 from the field, making him 7-for-28 the last two games. "I personally wouldn't move a guy unless he's the problem. If he's not worth the money you're paying him, if he's doing all right but not fully getting the job done, OK. But if he's doing his job? I don't know how you move a guy playing like that. But now, I'm still wondering how you trade Shaq (O'Neal). I guess that's why I'm playing (and not in the front office). I don't have to make that decision."
It's only logical to think the Warriors -- if they are to upgrade their talent and bring in a player who can push them over the hump -- are going to have to give up something. Mullin said "of course" he can make this team better without trading Richardson. The Warriors do have a wealth of young talent and draft picks they can afford to relinquish.
But think about it. If you're a general manager holding the difference-maker the Warriors covet, whom on this team would you want in return? If you're Minnesota discussing trading Kevin Garnett to the Warriors, or Toronto considering shipping Chris Bosh to Golden State, wouldn't you require Richardson?
All right, all right. It's understandable. You don't even want to think about that prospect right now.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:56 pm
I read about that in the Mercury. I'm relieved...for the time being.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:49 am
He better not. J-Rich is already a top 3 sg in the west, with only Kobe and, arguably, Ray Allen above him.

But, as the article says at the end, what happens if Toronto wants him for Bosh? (I know it won't happen, but it's intriging. Also, I wouldn't do it for KG, he (KG) is too old to send J-Rich for him)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:15 am
TMC wrote:He better not. J-Rich is already a top 3 sg in the west, with only Kobe and, arguably, Ray Allen above him.

But, as the article says at the end, what happens if Toronto wants him for Bosh? (I know it won't happen, but it's intriging. Also, I wouldn't do it for KG, he (KG) is too old to send J-Rich for him)

What's all this KG is too old garbage! KG is only going to be 30, that is not old!

I wouldn't send JRich at the moment because he seems loyal because otherwise I would! Getting a real superstar and having decent players around him (like the Warriors have) would give a far better team that would win much more.

Bosh is also a great player but just not as complete now and the Raptors will never let him go right now.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:59 am
Where is thinking @??????????????? ---***030***---
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:05 am
migya wrote:What's all this KG is too old garbage! KG is only going to be 30, that is not old!

I mean in comparison with J-Rich. J-Rich will give you five more years of top play. You have to think about that, too, before doing that trade.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:46 am
W R U?

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:07 am
TMC wrote

J-Rich will give you five more years of top play. You have to think about that, too, before doing that trade.

Sure agreed that J-Rich is five yrs younger than KG.

To say he will give you five extra yrs of "top play" when KG is done?

Forwards generally can contribute better than guards in their twilight yrs.

Expect KG to still be around long from now aka Karl M.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:35 am
scruffy wrote:Forwards generally can contribute better than guards in their twilight yrs.

Expect KG to still be around long from now aka Karl M.

That's true, but KG's contract prevents any further signing. Any team he gets traded to will face a worse situation than Minny now, with an older KG, still able to put up some big numbers, and with an enormous contract.

Imagine Miami without Wade... Shaq is not the same player he was. He's still able to give you 20 and 10, but he's not the dominant player he was. KG will be something like that in a few years.

What I mean is that the drop off on contribution shows in the contracts. KG's deal is one of the worst in the NBA, because it was signed before the current CBA was in place, and J-Rich's gives the team much more flexibility.

Oh, well, not that we're able to sign anyone right now...
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:30 am
as much as i love him(fuk im wearin his jersey now)id trade JRich for bosh in a second

sorry

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:43 am
U should B....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:01 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:What's all this KG is too old garbage! KG is only going to be 30, that is not old!

I mean in comparison with J-Rich. J-Rich will give you five more years of top play. You have to think about that, too, before doing that trade.

I know what you mean and I wouldn't trade JRich, the young and already blossoming player but KG has still got a fe years (5 at least) left of great contribution. The contract he has is mammoth though

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:03 pm
TMC wrote:Imagine Miami without Wade... Shaq is not the same player he was. He's still able to give you 20 and 10, but he's not the dominant player he was. KG will be something like that in a few years.

You're right about Wade being the best player in the Heat! Shaq is still effective but doesn'tproduce anything like he used to.

KG would be better with better players around him because he has very good passing skills and can create for others so well. Imagine JRich and Pietrus cutting to the basket for dunks off KG feeds!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am
migya wrote:KG would be better with better players around him because he has very good passing skills and can create for others so well. Imagine JRich and Pietrus cutting to the basket for dunks off KG feeds!

Sure. The problem would be if we have to send our other weapons to Minny to get KG. Then that trade would leave us in their situation right now.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:15 am
Yes KG's contract changes the story.

All I'm saying is J-Rich dosn't have 5 yrs over KG from present.
Next

Return to News Articles