olympic basketball

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:25 pm
Which 12 players from the preliminary roster would you choose to represent Team USA? (VOTE FOR 12)

Carmelo Anthony
Gilbert Arenas
Shane Battier
Chauncey Billups
Chris Bosh
Bruce Bowen
Elton Brand
Kobe Bryant
Dwight Howard
Josh Howard
LeBron James
Antawn Jamison
Joe Johnson
Rashard Lewis
Shawn Marion
Brad Miller
Adam Morrison
Greg Oden
Chris Paul
Paul Pierce
Michael Redd
J.J. Redick
Luke Ridnour
Amare Stoudemire
Dwyane Wade

The choices for the olympic team stands above. After going for the BRONZE the U.S basketball team deserved to make some changes. The team last year picked a bunch of street ballers with no fundementals (marbury, lamar odom,sean marion) and of course no true point guard. Because of that the team got depleted on both ends of the floor by teams that played as a cohesive unit. So lesson learned from the rest of the world put a team of unselfish players who are going to go out and play hard together as a unit. I like the choices and think we should be represented well.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:58 pm
Starting 5:

C - Amare Stoudamire
PF - Elton Brand
SF - LeBron James
SG - Kobe Bryant
PG - Dwayne Wade

Bench: Chauncey Billips (PG), Adam Morrison (SF), Brad Miller (C), Chris Paul (PG), Paul Pierce (SG), Michael Redd (SG), Shawn Marion (PF)

Nobody in the world would be able to beat this team.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:03 pm
Starters:

5 - Amare
4 - Brand
3 - LeBron
2 - Kobe
1 - Billups

Bench: Wade, Marion, Bosh, Paul, Melo, Morrison, Oden.

I believe that Billups should start at PG over Wade due to his dynamic abilities at the PG vs. Wade who is more of a SG. I would be fine with switching Paul in to start as well.

Morrison and Oden should be on the team because Morrison will be a solid pro by that time who can shoot the lights out and Oden will be a pro after the Olympics, but will probably be already better than any other center available. Plus team USA always gives a nod to a college player.

However, the players I pick can thrive without the ball, in anysituation. That is what it will take to win gold, not a bunch of players that are quantity scorers. Every player should have a high FG% and play tough D. Well, at least that is what I think.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:07 am
As I see it, the best team would be:

PG.- Arenas
SG.- Kobe
SF.- LeBron
PF.- Brand
C.- Howard

Bench.- Wade, Bosh, Marion, Paul, Redd, Josh Howard, Rashard Lewis.

A little thin inside, but that team offers a lot of possible mismatches. Also, some players are better suited for the NBA game (I'm thinking Amare or Carmelo here).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:56 am
I dunno TMC... I agree that Carmelo would just be baggage on the trip, but Amare? Against a bunch of international teams (that all play the dainty, finesse game), Stoudamire's power could be what really sets him apart from the rest of the world.

I also noticed that you conviently didn't pick any centers for the team. I agree; the players listed seemed a little thin (Brad Miller was the only REAL 5 on there), but we can't be undersized, here.

And, as far as Billips starting, that's probably too far. Without the Pistons' system to hold his hand, he might seem a bit helpless. He'd be nice firepower off the bench, but I'd start Wade or Paul ahead of him.

And I think Arenas' play at the All-Star game shows how much he can do when he's not getting 50 shots a night. I'd leave him at home for this one.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:38 am
#32 wrote:I dunno TMC... I agree that Carmelo would just be baggage on the trip, but Amare? Against a bunch of international teams (that all play the dainty, finesse game), Stoudamire's power could be what really sets him apart from the rest of the world.

I also noticed that you conviently didn't pick any centers for the team. I agree; the players listed seemed a little thin (Brad Miller was the only REAL 5 on there), but we can't be undersized, here.

Problem is, there's only one ball. Amare is less effective without the ball than, say, Howard, who is a rebounding monster. And, also, Amare is still a question mark after his surgery, we don't know what Amare will be back....

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:29 am
"And I think Arenas' play at the All-Star game shows how much he can do when he's not getting 50 shots a night. I'd leave him at home for this one"

On this one i disagree, Arenas is a top three point guard ,(Nash, Arenas,parker) he has the ability to hit threes, he can slash through the defense with great ease, plus he is able 2 find open teamates the team should start him.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:31 am
#32 said
"And I think Arenas' play at the All-Star game shows how much he can do when he's not getting 50 shots a night. I'd leave him at home for this one"

On this one i disagree, Arenas is a top three point guard ,(Nash, Arenas,parker) he has the ability to hit threes, he can slash through the defense with great ease, plus he is able 2 find open teamates the team should start him.[/quote]
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:30 pm
Top 3? You gotta know how to pass the ball before you're a Top 3 point guard...

With firepower like Caron and Antawn, Gilbert should be averaging 20 and 10 (instead of 30 and 5). He's a ballhog. I'd take Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Baron Davis, AND Chauncey Billips (along with Nash & Parker, like you said) ahead of him. He's like Iverson; a shooting guard (disguised as a point guard to get himself more shots).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:46 pm
#32 wrote: I'd take Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Baron Davis, AND Chauncey Billips (along with Nash & Parker, like you said) ahead of him.

I know he's a me-first pg and a ballhog. And I'd still pick Arenas ahead of any of those.

And I'm sure any GM on those players teams (except maybe the Hornets) would make the trade of their player straight up for Arenas.... including Nash (as Arenas will play for 10 more years at least).
Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:41 pm
send Detroit Pistons, the whole team.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:45 pm
TMC wrote:And I'm sure any GM on those players teams (except maybe the Hornets) would make the trade of their player straight up for Arenas.... including Nash (as Arenas will play for 10 more years at least).

Not too sure about Paul, because the ONLY reason GM's would take Arenas is because he's incredibly young and has yet to be seriously injured. And, as it stands THIS season, I'd still take everyone of those players listed over him. He's a ballhog and that destroys a team (when was the last time a team led by a score-first point like Arenas, Iverson, Marbury, or Francis won a championship?) The only thing a score-first point can do is make himself look good. They don't have the talent to further a team.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:35 am
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote: I'd take Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Baron Davis, AND Chauncey Billips (along with Nash & Parker, like you said) ahead of him.

I know he's a me-first pg and a ballhog. And I'd still pick Arenas ahead of any of those.

And I'm sure any GM on those players teams (except maybe the Hornets) would make the trade of their player straight up for Arenas.... including Nash (as Arenas will play for 10 more years at least).

I think Arenas does great with only two real good players in Butler and Jamison and noone else but he isn't as effective as PGs like Billups (immensely underrated), Kidd (the engine of the Nets - Without him they would be one of the worst teams in the nba), Parker (great fit for the spurs) and Nash( the best in the nba for quite some time - Makes average player really good)

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:31 am
#32 wrote:He's a ballhog and that destroys a team (when was the last time a team led by a score-first point like Arenas, Iverson, Marbury, or Francis won a championship?) The only thing a score-first point can do is make himself look good. They don't have the talent to further a team.

Well, there are several kinds of ballhogs, some of them more effective than others.

Iverson is a fan favorite in Philly, he has lifted the team by himself. They even went to the finals, and Alley I was the only reason they did it. I think Arenas can be that kind of talent. Maybe not to the point of going to the finals, but good enough to get to the playoffs year after year. And if he ever learns to play more into the team scheme, watch out!

I wouldn't compare him to Marbury and Francis. He's already been to the second round of the playoffs. :mrgreen:

I don't really agree about the lack of good teammates, migya. Jamison and Butler are good players, and there are several underrated players in the Wizards. Haywood and Thomas do a lot of dirty work, Jarvis Hayes (when not injured) is a good shooter and a more than adequate forward, Blatche looks like he could be a steal for a second rounder (he's only 18) and Antonio Daniels, while playing poorly this season, did a lot of good things in Seattle last year... I think the issue with the Wizards is that their coach is pretty weak. Eddie Jordan can be a top assistant, but he's not a good coach.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:27 am
On a side note, Rashard Lewis and Michael Redd have already declined the invitation... Seems I'll have to change my team, after all.
Next

Return to Sports Board