Hey Mullin, forget Montgomery! BRING ON RICK BARRY!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will Montogomery will be back next season?

Poll ended at Sat May 27, 2006 1:54 pm

Yes
14%
No
86%

Total votes : 7

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:38 am
DJ wrote:why settle for barry, get nelson!

:shock: I would rather have our towel boy coaching the team... Have you forgotten how badly Nelson ruined us last time...?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:27 am
So with our schedule looking increasingly harder, the warriors looking stagnant, and players arguably getting grumpy.... I dunno.

Obviously our coaching has to change. Whether monty has to change his ways, needs help, or just plain needs better luck, etc. Rick barry as a coach has been thrown around on other forums as well. Its just that Rick is kind of a "rebel" and not really sure if the front office will like him. If all else fails then I really can't argue against it. I usually give a coach 3 years to learn the system as I do give 3 years for a player to get settled into the NBA. It really gives me a good gauge as to how that player might do in the NBA. Right now Monty is not looking good.

Maybe the team needs more time to gel, but c'mon.. They have had 3/4 of the season already to do that. Coaches need consistency in order to make it easier for them to make lineup decisions, call plays, etc. and this team really hasn't made it easy on them. Injuries, sagging spirits, an "I can step it up and be a hero" for the team attitude, can't really help...

Tim
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:55 pm
#32 wrote:
DJ wrote:why settle for barry, get nelson!

:shock: I would rather have our towel boy coaching the team... Have you forgotten how badly Nelson ruined us last time...?

Exactly! Good point you make here.

Nelson's teams never made it past the second round of the playoffs (Milwaukee, GS, NY Knicks (fired at mid-season), Dallas), and he, Nelson, destroyed George Karl's team and then destroyed his own team here with the Warriors.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:15 pm
Don Nelson is a good rebuilding coach... but that's not what we need right now. We've got all the players to make something work... now it's just a matter of letting the talent span out, giving the players time to settle into the system, and allowing the roster ample time to learn the games of their teammates.

Anybody enjoying the fruits of Andris Biedrins, Mickael Pietrus, and Troy Murphy this season need to understand that the only reason they've become better is because they've been developed properly. Biedrins still has room to grow (as does Mickael) and many other players (like Ike, Monta, Zarko, and Taft) will get there in time. Development (and the word you all hate: patience) are key for the Warriors future success. We are beyond rebuilding; we are currently adjusting from the rebuilding stage to the breakout stage...

Don Nelson would regress our progress. He's only good at taking a loser team (with a 15% winning record) and drafting/trading for some good talent. We don't need anymore pieces, other than a decent small forward and a reliable backup center.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:04 am
Excelent post.. I agree with everything except instead of a reliable back up center A Solid Starter would suit this Team better like Magloire or what about Nazr Mohammad wont he be a Free agent this year :?:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:14 am
uptempo wrote:Nelson's teams never made it past the second round of the playoffs (Milwaukee, GS, NY Knicks (fired at mid-season), Dallas), and he, Nelson, destroyed George Karl's team and then destroyed his own team here with the Warriors.

He went to the conference finals with Dallas in 2003, where they lost 4-2 to the Spurs...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:09 am
TMC wrote:
uptempo wrote:Nelson's teams never made it past the second round of the playoffs (Milwaukee, GS, NY Knicks (fired at mid-season), Dallas), and he, Nelson, destroyed George Karl's team and then destroyed his own team here with the Warriors.

He went to the conference finals with Dallas in 2003, where they lost 4-2 to the Spurs...

Almost anybody could have coached that Dallas team to the Conference finals - They were stacked with talent!

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:51 am
O.G. broe wrote:Excelent post.. I agree with everything except instead of a reliable back up center A Solid Starter would suit this Team better like Magloire or what about Nazr Mohammad wont he be a Free agent this year :?:

I agree, too. Good post.

As for a starting center:

How about Biedrens? Does he have "starting center" potential vis-a-vis vs. a Magloire of a Mohammad? Other than his recent performance vs. Yao, he, Biedrens, looks like he can play with anyone in the league at the 5 position. Am I being too much of a homer with my analysis of Biedrens.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:10 am
uptempo wrote:As for a starting center:

How about Biedrens? Does he have "starting center" potential vis-a-vis vs. a Magloire of a Mohammad? Other than his recent performance vs. Yao, he, Biedrens, looks like he can play with anyone in the league at the 5 position. Am I being too much of a homer with my analysis of Biedrens.

That's what I was thinking of... letting Biedrins be a blue-collar, Nazr Mohammad style starter and just grabbing a decent scoring (ie, anything better than Foyle), rebound-first center in the draft or free agency.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:46 am
Getting rid of Baron would be a mistake he is a great talent but a team can only tolerate so much from its player so either get rid of coach monty or baron i would get rid of the coach.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:59 pm
... who said to get rid of Baron in this thread...? I thought we were talking about the coach here.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball