Stan Van Gundy?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:40 am
I kind of missed out on the whole Stan Van Gundy situation, so maybe someone can help me out. Why was he let go by the Heat? Did he resign because of personal/family issues? I think I read something like this somewhere, or was it just because Pat Riley wanted to coach again?

Anyway, I really want to see the Warriors get this guy. I think he is someone who can help this team get rolling again. I believe he did a wonderful job his first season with the Heat, without Shaq. They really shocked a lot of people and they played very well as Wade was a rookie. Last year I thought he did a decent job too.

I'd really like to see the Warriors get off their hands and bring this guy in. I think he is clearly better and more qualified than Mike Montgomery. I believe the Warriors would be much better prepared for games under Van Gundy than under Montgomery. I think they'd play with more energy as well. Look at what he did with Dwayne Wade, and I think he could do a very good job with Monta Ellis, and also I think he could do well with the team, just in general.

What do you all think? And if you guys can help me out to understand what happened in Miami with Van Gundy's resignation, that'd be cool too. Thanks.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:57 am
Clif25 wrote:I kind of missed out on the whole Stan Van Gundy situation, so maybe someone can help me out. Why was he let go by the Heat? Did he resign because of personal/family issues? I think I read something like this somewhere, or was it just because Pat Riley wanted to coach again?

More of the second one. He wasn't let go, tho. He still works in some position for the Heat. Supposedly, he resigned due to family issues. That probably means that Riley's family wanted him to get a new ring :wink:

It wouldn't be a bad pickup for us. I'd rather have Mario Elie or Terry Porter, but he did a good job on Miami.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:42 am
Anyone to replace Monty right now!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:14 am
Stan Van Gundy made Dwayne Wade. He adjusted an offense around Shaq. He successfully turned Miami from a botton-barrell team to a playoff contender...

Then Pat Riley swooped in like the vampire he is and took his job. :)
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:16 am
#32 wrote:Stan Van Gundy made Dwayne Wade. He adjusted an offense around Shaq. He successfully turned Miami from a botton-barrell team to a playoff contender...

You think so?. I think it was the other way around. D Wade made Stan... Without Wade, Stan would have been fired a year before.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:55 am
Either way, Stan did well and deserves credit. I think the Warriors have an even better level of talent than what the Heat had when Stan started but it would be whether the players follow his lead

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:25 am
migya wrote:Anyone to replace Monty right now!

Tripp'in, Cohan has already stated that he will let Capt. Mont ride out the rest of the season...he is sick and tired of paying for more than one coach (something he would have to do if they dumped him now)

Agree though...Getting sick and tired of F-ing losing 12yrs in a ROW. Sickening that we have the 4th largest market in the NBA....F-ing JOKE and something really needs to be done here! :evil: :evil:

-out
We need to do is re-sign Todd Fuller and his (4.0 GPA) to have the ultimate diplomatic frontcourt!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:29 am
migya wrote:Either way, Stan did well and deserves credit. I think the Warriors have an even better level of talent than what the Heat had when Stan started but it would be whether the players follow his lead

Yes!

Return to Trades