Best Warrior Dunk Ever

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which is the greatest Warrior dunk of all-time?

Chris Webber on Charles Barkley
No votes
Baron Davis on Andrei Kirilenko
50%
Harrison Barnes on Nikolai Pekovic
50%

Total votes : 12

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:32 pm
The nominations:

Future Rookie-of-the-Year, Chris Webber's, behind-the-back liberty slam on MVP, Charles Barkley:

Boom Dizzle's We Believe, back-board shattering jungle jam on Andrei Kirilenko:

Last night's yam: Harrison Barnes on Nikolai Pekovic.

Last edited by 32 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:40 pm
Edit:

32 already has all the vidz up
Last edited by 8th ave on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:05 pm
I final figured out how to get those vids up haha
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:59 pm
I think if you take into consideration that Baron's dunk was in a playoff series, which is rare for a warriors fan, the decision is easy. I'll give Barnes some credit though, that dunk yesterday brought me and my friend out of our seats and we weren't even at the arena.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:38 pm
Well here's my order and reasoning:

I think the Webb Gem is last for a few reasons. 1, Webber's defender was smaller than him. 2, the jam would have been forgotten had it not been on Barkley: Webber barely grabbed rim and put very little flavor on it. And lastly, it was a fast break slam: way less likely to be successfully defended because the opposing player was running in transition. Kudos for the wrap-around move, though.

After that, it gets hairy.

Baron Davis' dunk was definitely in a more exciting game, so the reaction was much crazier. And out of the 3 victims, not only is Kirilenko the best shot-blocker, but he had the biggest size advantage on his dunker as well. However, in my humble opinion, BD easily got away with a push-off... and even then, he had the ball protected by shifting his body sideways. Now, I'm splitting hairs for the sake of proving a point, Davis' dunk was nasty, I'm not denying that.

What I am saying is this: Barnes' dunk was Jordan-like.

Powerful gather. Scissor-kick on contact. Untouchable apex. Booming midair collision. Hard, heavy rim-grab. And a nasty, North Carolina stare down after the poster. If I saw both dunks performed in a gym in similar environments by similar players, I'd say the Barnes blaster was the nastier dunk. Just me though.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:07 am
I would say Barnes' dunk as well.

Somehow it left the biggest impression on me. Webber's was damn good, but not that forceful, to make a statement. Baron's looks amazing, but at the same time it's like he somehow managed to avoid AK, because of that body adjustment he made. And Barnes' was just plain perfect. There was body control, dunking over the bigger dude, strength, force, stare down...and, to me, most important thing, no twists, just straight forward dunk, no matter who's in front of you.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:19 pm
All the dunks are great in their own right but Barnes' dunk was nasty. I think the sound as the ball goes in and the reaction from the bench just add to it. I love it!
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:14 pm
I'm going with Baron Davis'. Even though they lost the series, it was still a big game. Baron is 6'3 while Kirilenko is 6'9 and AK47 was/is a great defender and shot blocker. I would then say that Webber's dunk was #2. The fact that he was a rookie and he dunked it on an iconic player. Sure, Barnes is a rookie as well, but Peko-who? All are great dunks though but I would put Monta's dunk on Barbosa ahead of Barnes.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:14 pm
The Barnes dunk, reason, this kid is just drooling with potential, and the dunk puts away any type of question about his hops. I think this will be a theme, if he is aggressive enough he is capable of throwing down on folks or just the rim on monthly basis.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:05 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:I'm going with Baron Davis'. Even though they lost the series, it was still a big game. Baron is 6'3 while Kirilenko is 6'9 and AK47 was/is a great defender and shot blocker. I would then say that Webber's dunk was #2. The fact that he was a rookie and he dunked it on an iconic player. Sure, Barnes is a rookie as well, but Peko-who? All are great dunks though but I would put Monta's dunk on Barbosa ahead of Barnes.

I dunno, bro... Monta flattened Barbosa, but honestly: I think a sheet of wax paper could defend a rim better than Leandro Barbosa. Plus - as with Webber's dunk - Ellis is more explosive that Barbosa, so in essence he's supposed to be able to jam it on him. Again, like I said with the Baron jam, I'm splitting hairs to examine a deeper issue: Ellis' sky over LB is definitely a top Warrior dunk and I'm not trying to take anything away from it. But I would never set it above the 3 in the poll.

Harrison Barnes takes off as far out as Ellis does... But he runs into a 291 pounder. I hope we're all understanding the gravity of that measurement: Pekovic is 30 pounds heavier than Andrew Bogut and Barnes hit him like a truck going through a deer. "Peko-who" is one thing... But slamming it through a guy whose approximately 38.5% bigger than you in sheer mass is insanely impressive. The weight differential is off the charts. We're talking Jordan on Ewing type stuff here.

Webber (245 lbs) vs Barkley (252 lbs) = 7 pound difference
Ellis (185 lbs) vs Barbosa (194 lbs) = 9 pound difference
Baron (215 lbs) vs AK (235 lbs) = 20 pound difference
Barnes (210 lbs) vs Pekovic (291 lbs) = 81 pound difference!!!!

Its like Kendall Gill said on NBATV: Barnes went big game hunting and bagged himself Nikolai Pekovic!
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:20 pm
Shawn Bradley was 7'6" and 275ibs and he had peoples' ball sack in his face throughout his career and nobody really cares about those dunks.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:33 pm
Nikolai Pekovic isn't a national joke like Shawn Bradley.

When Pekovic gets on more than 20 posters, we can compare the two.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 pm
I've also noticed that the OP doesn't say "in a game" so do we consider some of the JRich's dunks in a contest? I'm also sure there is an amazing JRich dunk in a game somewhere.

Cuz I love this one..

I also remember being at this game..

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:30 am
The dunk where JR threw a bounce pass to himself on the sideline is his best dunk bar NONE. That dunk is the best dunk ever and it doesn't get HALF of the credit it should.

The dunk where JR threw a bounce pass to himself on the sideline is his best dunk bar NONE. That dunk is the best dunk ever and it doesn't get HALF of the credit it should.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:54 am
Close competition. I voted for Baron Davis as it was in the 2nd round of the playoffs, versus a regular season game. I dig the barnes dunk, though!!!
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball