Mark Jackson: Coach or Inspirational Speaker?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:04 am
uptempo wrote:
32 wrote:Well, here's the thing: basketball is 90% players and 10% coach. By the time you get to game day, there are literally only 4 or 5 coaches in the entire league that will effect the outcome of a game. Unless you have D'Antonni, Adleman, Karl, or, Scott, Poppavich, you're not likely going to see any sort of on-court mastery taking place from the sidelines.

But then, after those gents, the next wave of coaches comes in: the fellas that might not steer the x's and o's on game day, but whose prep, practice, and vocal leadership has inspired a change of course, if you will. These coaches are culture-changers and they do an excellent job preparing their team for war. Such coaches include Thibodeau, Skiles, Brooks, Avery Johnson. It is here that I believe Mark Jackson can reach given enough experience.

He's clearly changed the defensive culture of this team... And I don't want to hear anybody claim it's the personell, because Lee and Thompson - who were both transparent last year - have improved by leaps and bounds. Jackson is in the process of teaching the team how to protect a lead; how often last year would we see them spoil a 15 point lead because they couldn't stop gunning? I dunno if any of you recall, but before this year, the Warriors ran NO plays through the post. I mean, sure, maybe Lee would get a touch or two inside against a mismatch, or in years past Don Nelson gave Baron the green light to back somebody down, but we haven't had post consistency like this for years. Jackson goes back to Barnes and Landry on the block over and over until the defense adjusts: THAT'S how you handle a mismatch.

I dunno, I could be wrong. Lord knows with Bogut and Rush out, the backcourt shooting like crap, and low-scoring games thus far, the fans are certainly forming the beginning stages of a panic. But I don't believe Mark Jackson is the problem.

Great analysis. I agree 100% with what you had posted.

Where does Doc Rivers fit in: "X-O Guy" or "Change Culture Guy?"

Doc is definitely a guy who can change the outcome of a game on the fly.

I am absolutely embarrassed to not have mentioned him initially; he could very well be the 3rd best pure coach in the league.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:05 pm
32 wrote:
uptempo wrote:
32 wrote:Well, here's the thing: basketball is 90% players and 10% coach. By the time you get to game day, there are literally only 4 or 5 coaches in the entire league that will effect the outcome of a game. Unless you have D'Antonni, Adleman, Karl, or, Scott, Poppavich, you're not likely going to see any sort of on-court mastery taking place from the sidelines.

But then, after those gents, the next wave of coaches comes in: the fellas that might not steer the x's and o's on game day, but whose prep, practice, and vocal leadership has inspired a change of course, if you will. These coaches are culture-changers and they do an excellent job preparing their team for war. Such coaches include Thibodeau, Skiles, Brooks, Avery Johnson. It is here that I believe Mark Jackson can reach given enough experience.

He's clearly changed the defensive culture of this team... And I don't want to hear anybody claim it's the personell, because Lee and Thompson - who were both transparent last year - have improved by leaps and bounds. Jackson is in the process of teaching the team how to protect a lead; how often last year would we see them spoil a 15 point lead because they couldn't stop gunning? I dunno if any of you recall, but before this year, the Warriors ran NO plays through the post. I mean, sure, maybe Lee would get a touch or two inside against a mismatch, or in years past Don Nelson gave Baron the green light to back somebody down, but we haven't had post consistency like this for years. Jackson goes back to Barnes and Landry on the block over and over until the defense adjusts: THAT'S how you handle a mismatch.

I dunno, I could be wrong. Lord knows with Bogut and Rush out, the backcourt shooting like crap, and low-scoring games thus far, the fans are certainly forming the beginning stages of a panic. But I don't believe Mark Jackson is the problem.

I am absolutely embarrassed to not have mentioned him initially; he could very well be the 3rd best pure coach in the league.

Erik Spoelstra?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:56 pm
uptempo wrote:
32 wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Erik Spoelstra?

Pure X's and O's guy.

Don't think he changes the culture of the team, doubt his stars respect him; as long as he continues to let the inmates run the asylum with the 2nd or 3rd most talented roster in the league, he'll have a job in Miami.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:32 pm
It's a players league by a long shot. This is is a put up or shut up year for Mark Jackson. He's got the roster, so a relatively healthy squad should get a playoff birth...anything less is a disappointment. I'm on the fence... he's made some mistakes, but he's also gotten this team to buy into a defensive mindset. And he plays the rooks, unlike some other stupidly biased coaches we know. I think the more time goes on the better he gets. One thing is I wish this team would freestyle more instead of worrying about always executing the set play. Basketball is an impromptu game so you gotta take the opportunities when they're there. As far as coaches go, I will take Mark Jackson over gimmick Nelly ball all day every day. He understands you need the basics to win. Mark Jackson was a leader and had great mental toughness as a player... that does translate to coaching and the players respect that cuz he's been there before and was a leader when he played.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:38 pm
rockyBeli wrote:It's a players league by a long shot. This is is a put up or shut up year for Mark Jackson. He's got the roster, so a relatively healthy squad should get a playoff birth...anything less is a disappointment. I'm on the fence... he's made some mistakes, but he's also gotten this team to buy into a defensive mindset. And he plays the rooks, unlike some other stupidly biased coaches we know. I think the more time goes on the better he gets. One thing is I wish this team would freestyle more instead of worrying about always executing the set play. Basketball is an impromptu game so you gotta take the opportunities when they're there. As far as coaches go, I will take Mark Jackson over gimmick Nelly ball all day every day. He understands you need the basics to win. Mark Jackson was a leader and had great mental toughness as a player... that does translate to coaching and the players respect that cuz he's been there before and was a leader when he played.

Good analysis.

I would like to see Jackson get Jeremy Tyler some playing time so that the kid can either improve or show that he is not ready to progress. The kid has talent, is big and athletic, and has big upside.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:13 pm
Thanks. Tyler could use a stint in the D league a la Jereme Lin, if he's just sitting on the bench in the big leagues.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:28 am
I think Tyler has a terrific little package on the low block and the athleticism to finish through traffic, but the man unfortunately plays like he's 6'6". Did anyone else see him blow off the guard on the break and handle it himself last night? What's worse is Tyler's rebounding rate last year put him 55th out of 67 qualified centers. For a 6'11" dude, he doesn't crash the boards at all or protect the paint. In this league, you need Amare/Bosh offense to get away with that and I dunno if Tyler's got it.

The young man needs to reflect on his game and somehow discover a way to WANT to play inside, because as of right now, he's flat out disinterested in dirty work.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 am
32 wrote:I think Tyler has a terrific little package on the low block and the athleticism to finish through traffic, but the man unfortunately plays like he's 6'6". Did anyone else see him blow off the guard on the break and handle it himself last night? What's worse is Tyler's rebounding rate last year put him 55th out of 67 qualified centers. For a 6'11" dude, he doesn't crash the boards at all or protect the paint. In this league, you need Amare/Bosh offense to get away with that and I dunno if Tyler's got it.

The young man needs to reflect on his game and somehow discover a way to WANT to play inside, because as of right now, he's flat out disinterested in dirty work.

I agree with you 100%.

Minimally, I would like to see Tyler go after defensive rebounds, trigger the fast break with the proper outlet pass, and run to floor to either finish the break or follow-up on a missed shot. This is very doable for a kid with his size, speed, and skill set.

The kid is still a diamond in the rough. With Bogut out, Biedrens having regressed, and Ezili still young and raw, the team needs Tyler to quickly step up his game.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:29 am
uptempo wrote:
32 wrote:I think Tyler has a terrific little package on the low block and the athleticism to finish through traffic, but the man unfortunately plays like he's 6'6". Did anyone else see him blow off the guard on the break and handle it himself last night? What's worse is Tyler's rebounding rate last year put him 55th out of 67 qualified centers. For a 6'11" dude, he doesn't crash the boards at all or protect the paint. In this league, you need Amare/Bosh offense to get away with that and I dunno if Tyler's got it.

I agree with you 100%.

Minimally, I would like to see Tyler go after defensive rebounds, trigger the fast break with the proper outlet pass, and run to floor to either finish the break or follow-up on a missed shot. This is very doable for a kid with his size, speed, and skill set.

The kid is still a diamond in the rough. With Bogut out, Biedrens having regressed, and Ezili still young and raw, the team needs Tyler to quickly step up his game.

Agreed.

He's pulling a Derrick Williams, on a much smaller scale of course. Tyler has played 8 minutes of garbage time against bench scrubs. He hasn't blocked a shot yet, hasn't even committed a foul. He has 1 rebound; which puts his RP40 at 5 per game (which is pathetic; worse than most guards). He's 3 of 5 on the season... But, again, against the competition he's seeing, without double teams or a lot of pressure, he should be shooting 80%. Imagine what Landry or Lee would be doing in Tyler's shoes. The Warriors are so desperate for center minutes, they've reverted to Biedrins. That means Tyler is giving them zilch in practice.

Is anyone else concerned that Jackson is giving Festus Ezeli the Brandan Wright treatment? Without Bogut, he's starting both halves and the team seems to do okay when he's in... But he's playing a pedestrian 16 minutes per game... And that number seems to be going down.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:02 am
32 wrote:
uptempo wrote:

I agree with you 100%.

Agreed.

He's pulling a Derrick Williams, on a much smaller scale of course. Tyler has played 8 minutes of garbage time against bench scrubs. He hasn't blocked a shot yet, hasn't even committed a foul. He has 1 rebound; which puts his RP40 at 5 per game (which is pathetic; worse than most guards). He's 3 of 5 on the season... But, again, against the competition he's seeing, without double teams or a lot of pressure, he should be shooting 80%. Imagine what Landry or Lee would be doing in Tyler's shoes. The Warriors are so desperate for center minutes, they've reverted to Biedrins. That means Tyler is giving them zilch in practice.

Is anyone else concerned that Jackson is giving Festus Ezeli the Brandan Wright treatment? Without Bogut, he's starting both halves and the team seems to do okay when he's in... But he's playing a pedestrian 16 minutes per game... And that number seems to be going down.

I, too, would like to see Tyler step it up and get some minutes instead of Biedrens. The team needs both him, Tyler, as well as Ezeli to make significant contributions a the center position, especially while Bogut is out and especially since Biedrens's game has regressed to a point now where he provides no offensive threat.

I have no issues with Ezeli getting only 16 minutes per game at this point in his young career. It would be nice to see Tyler play his way into the rotation where he, too, could earn 16 minutes per game and then perhaps see Biedrens give the team 16 minutes of strong defense for 16 minutes per game, too. Our three-headed center rotation could be serviceable as well as give the team 18 fouls to split amongst the the team's big men.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:41 pm
uptempo, I sense you'd rather see Tyler on the court than Ezeli... Is that right?

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:42 pm
32 wrote:uptempo, I sense you'd rather see Tyler on the court than Ezeli... Is that right?

I really do not know if one player is better than the other.

I like Ezeli's game, especially on the defensive end of the floor.

I am hoping that Tyler can step up his play in practice so that he can earn some playing time minutes. If the kid is ever going to improve, now would be a good time. The team desperately needs production from its center position. Perhaps a three-man rotation of Ezeli-Biedrens-Tyler can help the team in how it adjusts to Bogut's absence.

32, to me it is the coach's call on who plays. I am just hoping that Tyler can take the next step forward and start earning some playing time.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:39 am
uptempo wrote:
32 wrote:uptempo, I sense you'd rather see Tyler on the court than Ezeli... Is that right?

I really do not know if one player is better than the other.

I like Ezeli's game, especially on the defensive end of the floor.

I am hoping that Tyler can step up his play in practice so that he can earn some playing time minutes. If the kid is ever going to improve, now would be a good time. The team desperately needs production from its center position. Perhaps a three-man rotation of Ezeli-Biedrens-Tyler can help the team in how it adjusts to Bogut's absence.

32, to me it is the coach's call on who plays. I am just hoping that Tyler can take the next step forward and start earning some playing time.

There's a reason why Tyler is not getting any real-time minutes. He's immature and not ready for the NBA game. Age really has nothing to do with it, it's mentality. Compare him to Ezeli, Barnes, and Green. All three of them have the hustle mentality. Tyler on the other hand does not have that when he's on the court. It's almost like he's there on a few plays (mostly on offense), but then disappears on others (mostly on defense). When he makes a good play, it makes me say, "Wow, where did that come from?" I'd rather see good/smart plays from him consistently instead of being surprised when he does something well.

I forgot who mentioned it earlier (I think it was 32) that if Tyler had an offensive game like Bosh or Amare then his defensive woes can be ignored to a certain extent. David Lee is another example, since he contributes in the scoring column and on the glass his defensive inconsistencies can be over-shadowed by a coach. I'm getting off track here... Tyler is just not consistent enough to trust him with real minutes. I'd like to see more of Ezeli, but what I wouldn't like is for Tyler to eat into Ezeli's minutes right now until Tyler can show he can handle the minutes.

Coaches know their players inside and out. Jackson plays Biedrins over Tyler. Just by that alone we know Tyler is not ready. Biedrins is a better defender and rebounder and swapping Biedrins' defense/rebounding for Tyler's offense is a no go in Jackson's eyes.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:55 am
I agree with JJ. Why play Tyler just for the sake of it? He showed flashed of brilliance last season, but then he disappeared for a long time, and then again he does something that makes you think that kid could be something special. Then, he didn't do a lot during the preseason, and it's not looking any better now. I have a feeling that he is unhappy, cause he believes that he is not being treated rightfully. Like he should be granted something, because of his potential, so he doesn't show any effort. That's what I don't like...it was said that he was like that after his highschool, when he went to Japan, and that he matured and changed since then...but, to me at least, it doesn't look like it.

If we were having the same season as last year, when we were at some point sure that we won't have a shot at playoffs, then, yeah, he should play and show what he's got, like he did last year (which wasn't good enough obviously, and he didn't work harder to make a point), but this year, when we can play even ball with almost any team...you will get your minutes when you deserve them.

I have nothing against the kid...I just wanna see some motivation out of him, not half-assed plays mostly.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:13 pm
Never been a fan of the hiring of Mark Jackson as the head coach. He lacks the X's and O's part of the game. He's a motivational speaker. He's the "C'Mon Guys!" kind of guy while Mike Malone is dealing with the game plan and plays. If the Warriors are below .500 halfway through the season, I can see Jackson exiting and Malone taking over the team. Some of the decisions that Jackson makes leaves me scratching my head. Example..and this is probably a reiteration...In the second game of the season against the Grizzlies, Memphis made a quick start. I think they were up 10 - 2. Klay Thompson makes a 3. Next possession, another 3. Then he drains a long 2. Instead of an 8 point lead, all of sudden, the Grizzlies had a 2 point lead and called a timeout. With like 6 minutes left in the quarter, what does Mark Jackson do? He took out Thompson and put in Jack. Memphis is up by 8 and the end of 1. Really?
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball