Barkley Says Bogut's Done, MJax Fires Back

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:29 pm
http://blog.sfgate.com/warriors/2012/11 ... pipe-down/

Looks like a little analyst feud might be in the works between former broadcast colleagues, Mark Jackson and Charles Barkley. Barkley chimed in with his usual amount of respect for the Dubs and Coach Jackson wasn't having it. The key parts:

Charles Barkley wrote:I loved him as a player, but I don’t think he can ever play again... I don’t think he can ever be close to the player he used to be. He doesn’t just have injuries. He has major injuries. … His injuries were so major that he’s never going to be able to get back to where he was. I hate that, because he seems like a great kid. But I don’t ever think he can get back to that All-Star level where he was in Milwaukee.

Mark Jackson wrote:He actually made a statement about basketball. I didn’t know he covered basketball, any more. My goodness. I thought he was retired... I understand. His job is to move the needle. … I would probably bet that he cannot name our starting five. … Please tell Dr. Barkley that I said, ‘Thank you for your assessment of my team.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:35 pm
Yeah, I saw that and I was kind of annoyed by Barkley.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:00 pm
I dont think that was an unfair assessment. We're fans and we get behind our players, but outside looking in, his future doesn't look as bright as it once was.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:32 pm
Well, I'm all for fair criticism from unbiased sources, but Barkley literally said "he can't play anymore."

Bogut, even with a bum wheel and a minute count, looked better than anything we've seen at the center position in 20 years. Even if Bogut can't get the same explosiveness off that ankle again, his tremendous size and bonafide strength make him a valuable commodity. For Barkley to say his career is over because he won't make an all-star team in a stacked conference is gross disrespect and it's not surprising to hear Charles besmirch this franchise, as he's made no bones about it being one of his least favorite teams.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:43 pm
This is pretty irrelevant. Who cares what Barkley says.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:45 pm
I don't expect anyone to give us any "respect". We've been a losing franchise for an extended amount of time and with that comes the expectation that we'll always be losers. I wouldn't take it personal.

All Star
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:57 pm
Maybe for a casual fan, but as an analyst you are paid to know things. He said this about Bogut with out actually knowing the situation.

He's not a casual fan. He doesn't get a pass for saying dumb ****.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:35 pm
Gotta have a thicker skin.

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:43 pm
I'm with 8th on this one. No need to get upset about it. He's an analyst, and only because he was a player. He just stated his opinion. He is entitled to that, though, if it makes him look stupid in the future, it's all him.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 pm
The quote makes it seem like Barkley is saying he can't be the same player as before. It's his opinion but I think it's wrong. It's not if he'll be the same player, but if his injuries will even let him get back on the court. Idk maybe I'm just mincing words. But what we saw out there when he did play, looked pretty effective. Also helps that Bogut's game isn't dependent on athleticism cuz he's so big and skilled.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:11 am
Well, I dunno if me and Blackfoot are losing sleep over this. I think BF put it properly: we're "annoyed". Nobody's taking it personally.

And the reason it's relevant is because Barkley is the most recognizable analytical voice in sport since John Madden. Whether or not he's a moron is subjective; the bottom line is he's popular and his opinion gets heard a lot. I don't think anyone would call foul play on him if he were to label the Warriors as a team that ultimately won't make the playoffs or any other judgement regarding the overall team; such would be his opinion and by all accounts of this thread, is what he's being paid for.

But what Charles was speaking about was the quality of player Andrew Bogut is at this point in his career. For him to say Bogut is "done", regardless of backtracking his statement to "he won't be an all-star", is short-sighted, ill-informed, ridiculously hasty, and worst of all: degeneratively irresponsible of the modern standard of journalism. It's another instance of Charles Barkley opening his mouth without the hamster in his head even hopping on the wheel and as the anointed voice of the NBA, I don't think it's an overreaction to be annoyed. Clearly, it irked Coach Jackson too.

I'm not saying I put any stock into Chuck's opinion; I'm saying, others do. Casual/fringe fans definitely do. And for a guy with the amount of influence he has, he really outta do a little bit of checking up before making huge controversial claims based on nothing.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:05 am
Although thats Barkley's opinions, you have to respect it from his backround alone. And the way its looking right now, he maybe right. You look at the amount of time Bogut has missed and its not looking good. But, I'd take a 3/4 of a Bogut than a 110% Biedrins any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am
You have to take all of Barkley's comments witha grain of salt. It's like that guy that slightly dislikes something, but always exaggerates and says " I HATE THAT"...well thats Barkley. He might base his comments on some truth and experience, but he tends to be very extreme. I agree that Bogut's injuries can possibly hinder him for the rest of the career, and as fans...we always take the optimistic approach. Barkley doesn't get paid to be optimistic, he gets paid for his brash comments and predictions.
Waaarriors...come out and plaaaaaaay!!!

Thanks to my Injury Lawyer for helping me through these past few months.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 am
Bogut at 75% is a top 5 Center still.

It doesn't look good right now, but give it time.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: -1
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:37 am
I'll have to agree with Charles.

Bogut simply he cant recover. He had so much time to get his health back and what do you get back - small minutes and almost no points. Heavy injuries impact even big men, and Bogut is just another case.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball