Mark Jackson: Coach or Inspirational Speaker?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:47 pm
This may be too early to judge, but I have to lay it out here. My opinion on Mark Jackson is still open to change, but as of right now Mark Jackson does not seem like a head coach. I'm not buying into the way he goes about coaching.

What I've been seeing from the beginning of this season is a inspirational speaker, a coach who stands by his players, but gives no discipline. Yes, standing by your players and being an inspiration to your players are great aspects of a great head coach, but there is another thing involved with great head coaches and this is COACHING. I don't see coaching from Mark; I see coaching from Mike Malone. What head coach does not draw out plays during crunch time? What head coach is on the outside of the huddle during timeouts listening to the assistant coach speak? What head coach gives a player a pat on the ass when they make a mistake and not point out what they just did wrong? I do have a few examples of each of those things I just mentioned, if need be.

I'm not saying Mike Malone does everything, but I am saying that he does a lot more than any assistant coach in the league that I've seen. The lack of coaching experience is showing now in Mark Jackson. Inspirational speaking can only get you so far in the NBA. This is what sold Lacob and company on Mark, his speaking skills. I need to see coaching with my own eyes from Mark. I'm not saying pull him out now. I'm willing to give him more time to really see what he has to offer, but I'm not digging what he's bringing to the table early on. I really hope that he can prove me wrong.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:55 pm
pretty much my sentiments re: mark jackson right now.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:51 am
I've been saying that for some time now. To me, Mark Jackson is Mike Singletary of the NBA.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:39 am
I cannot agree nor disagree with the above criticism of Mark Jackson.

Organizationally, I do like how ownership has empowered a smart and competent GM, Bob Myers, to run the front office; has appeared to put in place a plan to build its roster around complimentary combination of players who have definitive roles on the roster, and has hired a head coach who appears to have the respect of his players.

Compared to the Nelson, Twardzik, Saint Jean, Mullin, Riley saga of always acting in a reactionary manner where there was not strategic plan, I do believe that this Warrior team is vertically aligned (ownership-front office-head coach-roster) and has the best chance to move this franchise forward to hopefully someday compete for a championship.

I have yet to see Mark Jackson lose a game; however, I am somewhat disturbed how he has not gotten Biedrens to improve on the offensive end of the floor.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:54 am
Well, here's the thing: basketball is 90% players and 10% coach. By the time you get to game day, there are literally only 4 or 5 coaches in the entire league that will effect the outcome of a game. Unless you have D'Antonni, Adleman, Karl, or, Scott, Poppavich, you're not likely going to see any sort of on-court mastery taking place from the sidelines.

But then, after those gents, the next wave of coaches comes in: the fellas that might not steer the x's and o's on game day, but whose prep, practice, and vocal leadership has inspired a change of course, if you will. These coaches are culture-changers and they do an excellent job preparing their team for war. Such coaches include Thibodeau, Skiles, Brooks, Avery Johnson. It is here that I believe Mark Jackson can reach given enough experience.

He's clearly changed the defensive culture of this team... And I don't want to hear anybody claim it's the personell, because Lee and Thompson - who were both transparent last year - have improved by leaps and bounds. Jackson is in the process of teaching the team how to protect a lead; how often last year would we see them spoil a 15 point lead because they couldn't stop gunning? I dunno if any of you recall, but before this year, the Warriors ran NO plays through the post. I mean, sure, maybe Lee would get a touch or two inside against a mismatch, or in years past Don Nelson gave Baron the green light to back somebody down, but we haven't had post consistency like this for years. Jackson goes back to Barnes and Landry on the block over and over until the defense adjusts: THAT'S how you handle a mismatch.

I dunno, I could be wrong. Lord knows with Bogut and Rush out, the backcourt shooting like crap, and low-scoring games thus far, the fans are certainly forming the beginning stages of a panic. But I don't believe Mark Jackson is the problem.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:55 am
Stephen Curry used to give up 111 points per possession, now 101. I think that's coaching.

You may not like his rotations, I don't, but he does a good job of handling 15 grown men and he does a good job of teaching.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:16 pm
Guybrush wrote:I've been saying that for some time now. To me, Mark Jackson is Mike Singletary of the NBA.

I was JUST about to post the exact same thing =D>
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:21 pm
In my opinion he's an enigma right now. One year and some change does not a coach make. I think the real indicator will be if or when the players give up on him. As of now I think he still has their ear and he appears to have begun changing the culture/style of play as was mentioned.
Pencil me in as concerned but I think that the jury's still out.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:47 pm
:dontknow: What about last year, Smitty?

Jackson kept them playing tough even amidst full-on tank mode. Isnt that worth something?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:26 pm
32 wrote:Well, here's the thing: basketball is 90% players and 10% coach. By the time you get to game day, there are literally only 4 or 5 coaches in the entire league that will effect the outcome of a game. Unless you have D'Antonni, Adleman, Karl, or, Scott, Poppavich, you're not likely going to see any sort of on-court mastery taking place from the sidelines.

But then, after those gents, the next wave of coaches comes in: the fellas that might not steer the x's and o's on game day, but whose prep, practice, and vocal leadership has inspired a change of course, if you will. These coaches are culture-changers and they do an excellent job preparing their team for war. Such coaches include Thibodeau, Skiles, Brooks, Avery Johnson. It is here that I believe Mark Jackson can reach given enough experience.

He's clearly changed the defensive culture of this team... And I don't want to hear anybody claim it's the personell, because Lee and Thompson - who were both transparent last year - have improved by leaps and bounds. Jackson is in the process of teaching the team how to protect a lead; how often last year would we see them spoil a 15 point lead because they couldn't stop gunning? I dunno if any of you recall, but before this year, the Warriors ran NO plays through the post. I mean, sure, maybe Lee would get a touch or two inside against a mismatch, or in years past Don Nelson gave Baron the green light to back somebody down, but we haven't had post consistency like this for years. Jackson goes back to Barnes and Landry on the block over and over until the defense adjusts: THAT'S how you handle a mismatch.

I dunno, I could be wrong. Lord knows with Bogut and Rush out, the backcourt shooting like crap, and low-scoring games thus far, the fans are certainly forming the beginning stages of a panic. But I don't believe Mark Jackson is the problem.

Great analysis. I agree 100% with what you had posted.

Where does Doc Rivers fit in: "X-O Guy" or "Change Culture Guy?"
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:36 pm
I tell you who's a good X's and O's guy: Kieth Smart.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 pm
He uses our best five man rotation the third most, so it's not horrible.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:23 pm
Blackfoot wrote:He uses our best five man rotation the third most, so it's not horrible.

link
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:38 pm
32 wrote::dontknow: What about last year, Smitty?

Jackson kept them playing tough even amidst full-on tank mode. Isnt that worth something?

Agreed 32...maybe I didn't state my opinion clearly -that happens often...lol - I am a fan of Jackson's but I am still a Warriors Worrier. I think Malone is the one playing puppeteer right now and Jackson is the mouthpiece. I think Mark has the ability to be a good head coach but hes got some learning to do. With that said, he has definitely helped this team become a bit better on defense...but my fear is that if there's not much progress this year he'll be shown the door.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:33 am
8th ave wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:He uses our best five man rotation the third most, so it's not horrible.

link

Next

Return to Warriors Basketball