Curry so far earning his money

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:44 pm
So far Curry has been earning the money he is getting on his new contract. Yes it's early, but in the first six games he is leading the team most of the time and as far as averages go he is getting:

17.5pts, 36.8FG%, 2.3threes at 34.1%, 80.8FT%, 5.0rebs, 5.5asts, 32.TOs, 1.7stls.

He keeps that up and he is a top 5 PG perhaps, definately top 10 and worth what he gets paid.

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:24 pm
Still on his rookie contract....
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:52 pm
Well, earning his new contract :wink:

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:44 am
Is this a serious statement? At 37 percent?
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:08 pm
Stairway Man wrote:Is this a serious statement? At 37 percent?

If Thompson and Curry don't up their FG percentages up to over 45% a piece it's going to be a long season for us. With an exception to some early 3's, Thompson has been taking good shots. They aren't particularly contested or anything like that. They're mostly open. Curry on the other hand generally takes good shots, but there are some head scratchers that he takes.

Right now the Warriors are running a cross or what they called a "crossbow" when I played in highschool. They have Thompson and Curry run the baseline and set screens for each other. If the first person isn't open, the other person flashes the opposite wing. It worked really well in the first couple of games, but now the opponent has tape of it and they're adjusting to it. Other than this play and some Lee and Landry isolations, our half court offense is ineffective. We have to work on making open shots and getting better ones.

I believe this is an area that Mike Malone would have to adjust because I assume that he's the X's and O's guy. If you haven't noticed, it's Malone that draws up the plays whenever they call the timeout. He's the highest paid assistant coach and he has to do better. This is where hiring an inexperienced head coach hurts us. People like Erik Spoelstra might get away with it because he was a video coordinator so he's seen lots of plays and he knows which work, which one doesn't.

Where we are right now, we're not going to make the playoffs.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 pm
I will give the coaching staff this though: great call on putting RJ on Andre Miller. That completely negated his effectiveness.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:22 am
It'd be a surprise if either Curry and/or Klay got over 45FG% this season and they don't have to for the team to be a good one. The defense has to be there, as well as the rebounding. Bogut is a must at near 100% most the time and Landry has to continue doing what he has been doing offensively.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:13 pm
Seeing as his percentages have climbed since his rookie year, there's no reason to believe he'll continue shooting 9% lower than his career TS%. Last year, Steph Curry's TS% was 60.5%, tied with LeBron for 17th in the league and trailing only Steve Nash as far as point guards. This year it's dropped to 49.3%, which is 186th among qualified players.

If Curry stabilizes his percentages to his career norms while maintaining his current attempt averages, his point total is projected to jump to 27.4 PPG.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:05 am
Curry will come along, he just needs to really focus, sometimes it seems his mind is else where. Skill wise he obviously has the shooting thing down, overall this season I see him forcing many shots that are not needed. Also he is not attacking the rim, actually none of our players seem to have the thought. You dont attack the rim, you dont go to the free throw line.

Curry needs to attack the rim, create for others, pass up some shots. Not saying dont shoot, just dont force it. Compared to the rest of his classmates Curry's deal is a good one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 am
warriorsstepup wrote:Curry will come along, he just needs to really focus, sometimes it seems his mind is else where. Skill wise he obviously has the shooting thing down, overall this season I see him forcing many shots that are not needed. Also he is not attacking the rim, actually none of our players seem to have the thought. You dont attack the rim, you dont go to the free throw line.

Curry needs to attack the rim, create for others, pass up some shots. Not saying dont shoot, just dont force it. Compared to the rest of his classmates Curry's deal is a good one.

Barnes is attacking the rim?

Albeit, they don't call his number nearly enough, but I'd actually like to see Steph drive a little more and Harrison spot up a little more. Klay is the only balanced one in the backcourt.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:21 pm
Harrison does that. He did it in the preseason also, where he played with more confidence. He is the only one that gets some dunks with hard finishes. Just because he shots 5 times per game, doesn't mean he doesn't do it at all...it's just a small sample. With more touches, he will do it more often. He also doesn't use his back to the basket game, his fade away is damn good. And he is just not shooting when he is open. Hopefully, that will change soon.

And I can't say that I agree on Klay...that he is the balanced one. On that amount of shooting he has this season, few drives to the basket is not balanced. Mostly it's a shot of the screen, on the run, over the defender. Though, Curry is just shooting so far.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:22 pm
Okay, fair enough. I'll say this though: I've seen Curry and Klay both handle the rock curling off screens at the free throw line extended multiple times a game. Between the two, given an open lane off the curl, I've seen Klay drive and Curry spot up more often than not.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:36 am
So far I believe Barnes might be capable of driving to the hole but like you mentioned he doesn't seem to do it often. I have seen Klay take it to the hole at times and to be honest he seems to be the 1 attacking the rim the most. He is also shooting a whole lot as well.

Back to Curry I found it interesting he mention on his Twitter he was happy to see his brother set attacking the RiM hopefully he takes note and follows suit.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 am
I'm interested to hear Blackfoot's perspective on this topic.

BF, as a stat guru, do you see Curry bouncing back?

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:16 am
Based on career averages, yeah. His FG% is only .020 higher than his 3 point field goal range. I am not sure that's sustainable. His defensive rebounding is up and his points per possession given up is down. Basically everything has improved and his shooting has regressed. Definitely not worried at all.

Same problem with Klay Thompson. Everything has improved except his eFG%. He shot at a 52 eFG% thanks to his triples. That will likely improve from what we have right now, which is a pedestrian 46 eFG%.

I assume both will go back to normal shooting and the defense and rebounding will stay.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball