Andrew Bogut Expectations

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

What sort of numbers do you expect out of Bogut once he's healthy?

20 and 10; he's on a better team than ever before and should thrive.
No votes
15 and 10; slightly better than his career averages.
No votes
13 and 9; about the same as his career numbers.
42%
10 and 8; next to Lee, his numbers should take a slight hit.
42%
5 and 5; he won't recover enough to play more than 20 minutes.
No votes
I don't care, his digits will suck, but he helps the Warriors win.
8%
Doesn't matter, Bogut's not the answer. Trade him.
8%

Total votes : 12

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:37 pm
Now that Bogut has been in uniform for 4 out of 5 Warrior games, I thought we could discuss our expectations of him when he gets fully healthy. After January 1st, when Bogut begins playing 30-35 minutes a night again, what do we expect him to do? What kind of numbers will he put up? Vote and discuss!
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:43 pm
I suppose I'll start: I think Bogut will end up closest to 10 and 8.

Now, he's gonna block you a shot or two, he's gonna facilitate and get 3 or 4 dimes a night, and his mere presence on the floor will help Golden State win consistently. But Bogut has never been a traditional numbers guy and although it'd be nice to see him end up with a Dwight Howard stat line of 20 and 10, I think we're looking at a guy who ends up with 10 points on hooks and lay-ups and 8 rebounds while boxing his man out tremendously well. Bogut is going to help clear the boards by bottle-necking his opposite number, but again, I predicted before the season that we'd only see him dominate less than 15 games. And I've seen nothing to change my mind.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:49 pm
Something is going on with our team and I don't know if I can credit it to the coaches, Bogut, or team chemistry. To me, this team may not be a defensive power house, but god damn do I see the effort, and at the end of the day, that's what defense is about. Curry taking charges. I've noticed Lee giving more off ball help the last 5 games than I've seen him give the past 2 seasons. Klay is guarding 2's and 3's and he's doing it effectively. The guy's feet has improved drastically on defense. And Ezeli has been a wonderful treat on defense. I can't help but feel that if Bogut wasn't here, it would be one of those instances where only 1 person is giving 110% effort on defense and everybody is relying on that one person to make plays defensively as opposed to seeing that kind of effort and chipping in.

It could be anything though. Maybe all of these guys looked at the opening day roster and said, "Hey, this is a good team. I'd fight for this team." Maybe it's Mark Jackson preaching about baby jesus, who the fuk knows. I like it though.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:50 pm
I forgot to talk about Bogut defensively. The biggest surprise I've seen from him is his ability to take charges. Those aren't flops either, let me tell you. Dude gets into great defensive position and he gets there early.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:02 pm
Doesn't Matter. Trade Him & Bring back Monta. (he g0t Shutdown for 7-10 days to rest his Ankle. That's wak!)

BTW Pure Sarcasm, My vote in the poll above. His as valuable as a player on this team. Your Thompsons & Currys will get you your buckets. But Bogut plays good box out defense to give a go-getter like David Lee to climb upstairs and get his rebounding numbers up.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:09 pm
bogut is being shut down for the next 10 days

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:09 pm
It was his option which makes it better. I will explain why that makes it better. The doctor probably carefully explained if he waits it out he can play extended minutes when he is done. Or he can play right now in limited minutes.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 pm
I say have him sit as long as it takes till there's no more soreness. That's what you're supposed to do. I don't know why they put him on the court if he was still sore. That's stupid. Stay off it. That's the only way to get back to 100%. So if it takes 1, 2, 3, 8 weeks, whatever....stay off it.

Maybe he said it felt fine cause he wanted to play so bad. Then realized it was a mistake.

I know what it's like, staying off a bad knee for a month or two, swimming all the time to try to stay in some sort of condition. It sucks, but if you don't stay off it, it's not going to heal completely, and you're not going to be able to play anywhere near as well as you normally do. Plus you risk injuring it again, making it worse, or suffering some other injury because you're favoring it and you're tweaking yourself out of your natural balance.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:59 pm
I agree with 32 in that Bogut is not a numbers man. He couldn't care less whether he scored 30 or 0 as long as his team gets the win. The guy is unselfish almost to his own detriment. Plenty of times while at Milwaukee he had the opportunity to dominate on offence and jack up heaps of shots but he'd rather pass off to an open teammate. He'll do whatever it takes to get the win. He had 0 points that last game but he had 5 assists. I'll be happy with 10 points, 8 boards, 2 blocks and 3 assists a night from him when he's fit because I know that Lee and Landry will get plenty of opportunities to do the scoring.

8th, I don't think it is any coincidence that everyone else seems to be trying harder on defence since Boguts arrival. Andrew made it clear to his teammates very early on in the preseason that he expected a certain level of effort from them on defence. I know it's only the start of the season but this team appear to genuinely enjoy each others company. You guys who see them at practise and at games might have a different opinion. Team chemistry is such a hard thing to find but it makes a huge difference. It is not something that you can manufacture. Either you have it or you don't.

I'm only a new Warriors fan so I don't have the baggage of all those years that the Warriors have missed the playoffs but I have to say that I've really enjoyed what I've seen from this team so far. I'm happy as long as I can see guys trying their hardest and I look forward to seeing these young guys develop. The playoffs this season will be a bonus for me.
Last edited by Ringo on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:02 pm
When did you become a Warriors fan, Ringo?
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:12 am
The day Bogut got traded from the Bucks. I was a T-Wolves fan from when KG got drafted until he got traded and then I started following Bogut and the Bucks. I like to support the underdog.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:51 am
Bob Myers said some very encouraging - and also fairly worrisome - things last night.

The good news is that there's no set-back, there's no injury or onset of acute pain that triggered this move. This, by all accounts, was Bogut's call... a bit strange, seeing as he's been clamoring for more minutes in the press... but nevertheless, the fact that this is a situation where no one got hurt and he just wants to heal back up to 100% is very positive compared to the alternative. As this is Bogut's call, he might even be back early, depending on how this goes.

The bad news is just that, though: the 7-10 days is totally for the birds. There's no real time table for Bogut's return. Myers admitted they very well could have labeled this hiatus as "indefinite" because it depends wholly on how Andrew Bogut feels. As stated above, there's no pain (just soreness)... But the real trouble is the effectiveness of the ankle. Myers cited an ally-oop play on Wednesday where Bogut was 100% below the rim on the finish and biffed the ball against the iron (a play he'd usually dunk; mind you, this man has a standing reach of 9'2"). That means Bogut is getting next to no lift from his wheel. If that's the case, this rehab assignment might take closer to 3-4 weeks than 1.

Either way, as stated in my original post, Bogut should be set by January 1st.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:06 am
32 wrote:Bob Myers said some very encouraging - and also fairly worrisome - things last night.

The good news is that there's no set-back, there's no injury or onset of acute pain that triggered this move. This, by all accounts, was Bogut's call... a bit strange, seeing as he's been clamoring for more minutes in the press... but nevertheless, the fact that this is a situation where no one got hurt and he just wants to heal back up to 100% is very positive compared to the alternative. As this is Bogut's call, he might even be back early, depending on how this goes.

The bad news is just that, though: the 7-10 days is totally for the birds. There's no real time table for Bogut's return. Myers admitted they very well could have labeled this hiatus as "indefinite" because it depends wholly on how Andrew Bogut feels. As stated above, there's no pain (just soreness)... But the real trouble is the effectiveness of the ankle. Myers cited an ally-oop play on Wednesday where Bogut was 100% below the rim on the finish and biffed the ball against the iron (a play he'd usually dunk; mind you, this man has a standing reach of 9'2"). That means Bogut is getting next to no lift from his wheel. If that's the case, this rehab assignment might take closer to 3-4 weeks than 1.

Either way, as stated in my original post, Bogut should be set by January 1st.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious to Bogut I think when he could not slam it on the ally oop. Good catch.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:22 am
It's good to see Bogut acknowledge his level of handicap.

For those who haven't league-passed Bucks games to watch him, Bogut is not only much more mobile than this, but he's more explosive too. He's not Dwight Howard, that's for sure, but the ally-oop was only the tipping point; Bogut beat Gortat on a through-the-legs crossover in game 1 that he would have taken off and swing-slammed from 5 feet out at his peak... As we all saw, though, he timidly laid the ball off the glass and even hit the ground on the play. He spun off coverage against Memphis, too, and laid it up instead of stuffing it home. Dunking isn't everything, but Bogut is a guy who loves to cram it home and howl on the jog back... For him not to have that; it just reeks of Larry Johnson after back surgery: the lion who can no longer hunt. Bogut is much, MUCH better than what we've seen and it's good to see that he - above all - understands that.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:47 am
At this point I would rather have him sit and rehab until he is 100%. I don't want to go through the off again/on again thing we did most of last year with Curry.

The one encouraging thing was that Bogut seemed embarrassed by his play so far, I thought he was pretty effective though not very mobile. If he can get back to 100% he's going to be a huge asset.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball