AST1916
STL910
BLK312
TO1818
PF2023

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:01 pm
Dear God, Lee and Curry are a combined 4-30 shooting, that is epic.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:08 pm
WarriorHawk87 wrote:Dear God, Lee and Curry are a combined 4-30 shooting, that is epic.

And we still won! I don't care how they get the wins as long as they get them. A great effort from Bogut to play without any warm up games and very limited training.

Martin... you're killing me with your sorry, pessimistic views on this Warriors team. It's only the first game mate. And the first time that our starting 5 have played together. Cheer up. We won!

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:28 pm
I remember a guy like J-Rich on this forum who was almost as bad when I was a lurker.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:17 pm
Blackfoot wrote:I remember a guy like J-Rich on this forum who was almost as bad when I was a lurker.

Yep. We learned to just tune him out. It takes time, but it becomes second nature after a while.

The Suns flat out didn't come inside when Bogut was in. Dragic would reverse his dribble away from the basket, Scola was spotting up, Gortat wasn't calling for the ball. It was literally incredible the effect Bogut had without even doing anything; his mere presence is an asset. Warriors fans are gonna love his passing and it'll look a whole lot better when Lee actually shows up on offense. Fancy that, BTW: when was the last time we saw Lee look better on defense than offense?

Curry had contract jitters, but Jack kept the PG spot looking solid. And Landry beasted on his debut. What a game. Perhaps my most interesting moment was in the 2nd quarter when Bogut scolded the guards for waiving him off and flat out demanded the rock. I've never seen Bogut aggressively demand the ball before. If the big man develops a dominant offensive personality, he could realistically challenge Bynum for the 2nd best spot at center.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:21 pm
Was unable to watch the game because of class but i sure did check the play by play boxscore. Despite the horrible shooting by Lee and Curry glad to see the warriors pull out the win. The bench will be a strong point and as the season goes on will be interesting how Marc Jackson utilizes them. Shout out to Carl Landry, I read somewhere, while in Houston he ranked high for scoring in the 4th quarter, with the likes of Lebron. Will be a great season once everyone gels, when Curry and Bogut get a feel for the game. Go Dubs plus the Lakers are 0-2, nice added bonus to start the season
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:31 am
Yeah, at least we can say that we're beating the Lakers. I agree with the shout out to Landry with 5 offensive boards. I've only seen the highlights on nba.com but it's interesting that all of the Suns highlights occured when Bogut was sitting down.
Last edited by Ringo on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:04 am
Ringo wrote:
WarriorHawk87 wrote:Dear God, Lee and Curry are a combined 4-30 shooting, that is epic.

And we still won! I don't care how they get the wins as long as they get them. A great effort from Bogut to play without any warm up games and very limited training.

Martin... you're killing me with your sorry, pessimistic views on this Warriors team. It's only the first game mate. And the first time that our starting 5 have played together. Cheer up. We won!

The great Bob Fuckgerald always said something along these lines during last season: "how often will the warriors (or this and that player) shoot so bad?". I don't buy these kind of arguments.
Yes they will shoot better, but phoenix shot as bad as we did. I saw two bad offensive teams out there.

Did you see any pick 'n' roll? Yes, I thought the same.

Our starting five has ways to go to be a consistent, coherent, not eye killing team on the court. Let the rosy teddy bear drown for a moment.
Besides Bogut I saw no one with any kind of a balls there.

The bench is another thing. Bench won us a game big time. That is depth, and that is FO job done well.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:24 am
martin wrote:The great Bob Fuckgerald always said something along these lines during last season: "how often will the warriors (or this and that player) shoot so bad?". I don't buy these kind of arguments.
Yes they will shoot better, but phoenix shot as bad as we did. I saw two bad offensive teams out there.

Fuckgerald.... Nice.

But poor puns aside, if you don't believe David Lee and Steph Curry are going to shoot a great deal better than they did tonight, you may as well stop watching now. Those are our two biggest shot-takers and they both absolutely blew tonight. Curry missed all 6 of his three's and shot 14%. Lee (a career 50% shooter) shot 12%. If you don't believe the Warriors are going to shoot drastically better on most nights, or that they have the personnel to be a dangerous offensive team, pull a JSW and just become a Pistons fan now. Arguing that the offense is in trouble because the two guys taking the most shots were off lacks foresight. You gotta be more patient bro.

martin wrote:Did you see any pick 'n' roll? Yes, I thought the same.

Good, then we both saw pick-and-rolls. Problem is, Lee couldn't finish them.

We also saw punch isolation from Landry and high-post options for Bogut. The front court will be a huge part of this team. Again, be patient.

martin wrote:Our starting five has ways to go to be a consistent, coherent, not eye killing team on the court. Let the rosy teddy bear drown for a moment.

4-for-30. That's what our offensive duo put up tonight. Hell, even Thompson was 2-for-9 inside the arc. Phoenix played aggressive defense and you gotta give them credit for bothering our shooters. Won't happen every night.

I realize it was ugly to watch at times, but Barnes flashed athleticism that a few people were concerned about and, for Chrissakes, Bogut was in uniform - which is the best news of the year so far. The bench needs no explanation.

martin wrote:Besides Bogut I saw no one with any kind of a balls there.

Then you tuned out when Ezeli was in the game. He drew an off-the-ball foul on Gortat after literally LIFTING him with one arm and getting inside position for a dunk. When the whistle blew, Gortat looked at his bench with a total, "What do you want me to do to stop this monster??" look. 3 steals, 5 boards.

You also must have missed Landry dominating the paint inside: 7-for-9, 6 boards, 3 free throws, +13 on the night. Fitz often referred to the low block as "Landry's office". You'll understand why within 2 weeks of the season. He's instant inside offense off the bench. Nobody on Phoenix had any hope of slowing him down.

martin wrote:The bench is another thing. Bench won us a game big time. That is depth, and that is FO job done well.

You can say that again.

The Big 3 (Landry, Rush, and Jack) accounted for 41 points (16-for-25), 10 rebounds, 10 assists, 2 steals, and all left with positive plus-minus ratings: +13, +3, and +7 respectively.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:10 am
I liked what Ezeli brought. He makes it feel like we didn't lose Udoh or have him plus slightly better offensive skills and maybe quick foul trouble won't be as much of a problem for him. Any other time last year if Curry AND Lee were off we were pretty much hosed. I know it's Phoenix, but they were really hustling and we still came out with a ROAD WIN. Overall I thought it was encouraging. Bogut will play into shape and shooting will not consistently be that bad.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:20 am
I'm glad that we won...can't ask for more. It was the first game of the season, up until 5 minutes before the game we didn't even know if our starting center, our biggest acquisition, and hope for this team's defense, is going to dress for the game. Curry just signed his big contract, Harrison played his first game in NBA...a lot of new guys. In the end, we won a tough road game. It's always hard to win in Phoenix, especially when you still hadn't have time to gel with you teammates. I'm just hoping that Harrison is going to get a lot more playing time, cause he definitely showed that he deserves it. Jackson better rested more Lee or Curry (or both) since it wasn't their night. Harrison did have a few nice moves, and he is the only one that was going to the basket.

I love Landry's play, great addition...and Ezeli is going to be a stud defensively. I hope at least.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:29 am
Phoenix was 8-0 vs Golden State in home openers before last night.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:31 am
martin wrote:
Ringo wrote:

The great Bob Fuckgerald always said something along these lines during last season: "how often will the warriors (or this and that player) shoot so bad?". I don't buy these kind of arguments.

Our starting five has ways to go to be a consistent, coherent, not eye killing team on the court. Let the rosy teddy bear drown for a moment.

The bench is another thing. Bench won us a game big time. That is depth, and that is FO job done well.

I can see how you think our two top offensive players will regularly go 4/30. This makes sense to me.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:45 am
32 wrote:
martin wrote:The great Bob Fuckgerald always said something along these lines during last season: "how often will the warriors (or this and that player) shoot so bad?". I don't buy these kind of arguments.

Fuckgerald.... Nice.

But poor puns aside, if you don't believe David Lee and Steph Curry are going to shoot a great deal better than they did tonight, you may as well stop watching now. Those are our two biggest shot-takers and they both absolutely blew tonight. Curry missed all 6 of his three's and shot 14%. Lee (a career 50% shooter) shot 12%. If you don't believe the Warriors are going to shoot drastically better on most nights, or that they have the personnel to be a dangerous offensive team, pull a JSW and just become a Pistons fan now. Arguing that the offense is in trouble because the two guys taking the most shots were off lacks foresight. You gotta be more patient bro.

martin wrote:Did you see any pick 'n' roll? Yes, I thought the same.

Good, then we both saw pick-and-rolls. Problem is, Lee couldn't finish them.

We also saw punch isolation from Landry and high-post options for Bogut. The front court will be a huge part of this team. Again, be patient.

martin wrote:Our starting five has ways to go to be a consistent, coherent, not eye killing team on the court. Let the rosy teddy bear drown for a moment.

4-for-30. That's what our offensive duo put up tonight. Hell, even Thompson was 2-for-9 inside the arc. Phoenix played aggressive defense and you gotta give them credit for bothering our shooters. Won't happen every night.

I realize it was ugly to watch at times, but Barnes flashed athleticism that a few people were concerned about and, for Chrissakes, Bogut was in uniform - which is the best news of the year so far. The bench needs no explanation.

martin wrote:Besides Bogut I saw no one with any kind of a balls there.

Then you tuned out when Ezeli was in the game. He drew an off-the-ball foul on Gortat after literally LIFTING him with one arm and getting inside position for a dunk. When the whistle blew, Gortat looked at his bench with a total, "What do you want me to do to stop this monster??" look. 3 steals, 5 boards.

You also must have missed Landry dominating the paint inside: 7-for-9, 6 boards, 3 free throws, +13 on the night. Fitz often referred to the low block as "Landry's office". You'll understand why within 2 weeks of the season. He's instant inside offense off the bench. Nobody on Phoenix had any hope of slowing him down.

martin wrote:The bench is another thing. Bench won us a game big time. That is depth, and that is FO job done well.

You can say that again.

The Big 3 (Landry, Rush, and Jack) accounted for 41 points (16-for-25), 10 rebounds, 10 assists, 2 steals, and all left with positive plus-minus ratings: +13, +3, and +7 respectively.

just a quick recap, i didn't say curry and lee will be shooting that bad. i said the team (starting unit) lacked open shots, they were not consistently created - both lee and curry are finesse players, for them to operate at high efficiency they need space. i don't like lee on iso's, especially against forwards. these results in bad shots. monta like.
the thing about curry that gets me worried, and that might be conjecture, but could it be that his ankle is bothering him, his shot looked ugly and his movement not so crisp, maybe it's conditioning.
yes, our team should be capable of great offense, but it remains to be seen if jackson can bring it out of them, it looks like first team is on a strong leash, while second team is allowed to improvise more. and for the second year under jackson, reserves outplay our starters.

re: balls, i meant starting unit.

as for reserves i'd add rush to the category of ballicious camp - his two blocks (wrongly called as fouls) were nasty. and his dunk also.

i see potential in harrison barnes, he need to keep driving and be aggressive, if he'd made that reverse driving dunk it would've been the highlight of the night.

as i told you, i have huge reservations about lee in current starting unit - for it to thrive he must forget being a man and do the passing thing. there's just too much ball stopping during the game. not only lee's fault, mind you. it looks a bit lost out there. our offense. just like last season. and we supposedly have better personel. coaching perhaps?

i know we haven't won in phoenix for years, so it's good to get that. but phoenix isn't a household name. their big three (gortat, dragic, scola) are largely average, well, besides scola, maybe.

so, i'm not sure i have seen enough to make strict conclusions about what i saw yesterday and how it will transpire into next game. grizzlies should be a good test. they are big and gritty and nasty.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:46 am
Blackfoot wrote:
martin wrote:
Ringo wrote:

I can see how you think our two top offensive players will regularly go 4/30. This makes sense to me.

stop misreading my posts, thank you.
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads