Curry Extended

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:05 am
4 years, $44 million. Link to come.

Just announced on KNBR, Curry to sign before tip-off tonight.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:38 am
Gamble on both sides. If Curry's ankle crumbles, W's are screwed. Curry leaves $$$ on the table that he could have had as RFA if he stays healthy.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 pm
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/10/31/ ... e-warriors

IMO, paying Curry less than Lee and Bogut is a huge win. I thought for sure he'd get at least $12 million, but $11 mil is a terrific job by management. Sure, there's risk, but if Curry is healthy, this will be among the league's better bargains.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:31 pm
For those that are going to be unhappy with this deal, ask yourselves: would you have been happier if he walked away? I don't mind it one bit, and I'm prepared for Curry to have a Oden-esque type career, but if he stays healthy **** is about to go down. I hope he can become an all-star for us. That would be big for the bay area. I never had an opportunity to buy a Warriors all-star jersey (I know Mullin has one, but that was before my time).
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:50 pm
Eric Gordon signed a max offer sheet and only played nine games last year.

Discount. He was getting max no matter what.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:31 pm
That's a good deal. Heck, I wouldn't complain even if it was 12 mil per season...just don't want to imagine this team without Steph.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:39 pm
I think teams like Charolete (his home town) would have paid him max, or even Dallas might have tried to rebuild around him. Teams that are willing to wait to rebuild and take the risk now. So with that in mind that there are teams out there that would have made the risk to pull him away from us, then it is a good move. Now those teams who are searching for an eliete PG of the future are going to all be bidding on Jennings, Jrue Holliday, and the left overs.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:31 pm
Curry and harden were opposites last night
,both reaching agreements
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:01 am
I think the FO did quite well given their position right now. Players that aren't deserving of high salary are getting it and Curry is the starting PG here. With Lawson getting slightly more than Curry, the contract is reasonable when everything is taken into context, so I'm reasonable with it as well right now.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:03 am
I wasn't too far off in our other thread.

I guessed $12 million and they got him for $11. If this were Vegas, I'd be screaming my ass off for barely not covering.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:50 pm
I thought $12M was a pipe dream a few weeks ago...but that was before he hurt his ankle and had to leave a preseason game.

I'm still of the wait and see opinion. Trying to score a bargain is great and all, but if he plays up to the contract and stays healthy, he's worth the max and then some. I've heard the good argument of "what else are you going to do if you let Curry walk?" But that's a little short-sighted. If you're stuck with a horrible contract, you'll tank an entire season or give up draft picks just to off-load it. If you have cap space, at least you have options. Keep the options and you can do smart things like sign a Goran Dragic or Kyle Lowry to a bargain-bin contract and bounce right back.

I'm pretty bullish on upper-management (with the exception of the Charlie Bell amnesty, I think they've made great decisions), so maybe I'm just optimistic that the new look Dubs would make good decisions if unfettered by bad contracts. I'm happy for Curry, but I'm on pins and needles every time he stumbles or trips.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:59 pm
Gotta disagree bro. I think it'd be more short-sighted to let him walk. Free agency is far from a sure thing. Right now, we can barely convince players to sign here (and if anybody is a commodity at the time of their free agency - David Lee, Corey Maggette, Derek Fisher - we have to hysterically overpay to get them here). San Francisco is still 5 years away. Name me the last franchise player the Warriors were able to sign in the free agent market. Our only hope of getting a foundational piece is through trade and/or the draft. Resigning Curry is pivotal to resigning Bogut and thus being able to attract 2nd tier free agent talent, like Carl Landry and Nate Robinson.

I think with his injury-risks involved, $11 million a year is extremely fair. Again, look at the contracts guys like BDavis, Hedo, Arenas, and hell even Biedrins have. When Curry plays, he's a top 10 guard. That's worth resigning, no matter the risk, when he's not demanding the max.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:15 am
It being only a four year contract, that means that in just three years he'll be an expirer, so even if he doesn't perform up to that standard expected of that amount of money, it isn't all that long for him to be tradeable if need be.

He performed very well against the Grizz the last game, so he looks worth the money on that performance at least, just has to do the same most of the time.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Warriors Basketball