How's Andrew Bogut's Rehab going?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:55 pm
32 wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:
32 wrote:Kawakami... With good news???... the seventh sign of the apololypse!

In all seriousness, that helps ease a lot of the stress I had about Bogut coming back mid-season. Great update, 8th.

I can never tell what Kawakami is thinking. Whether he is playing devil's advocate or if he's just always against us.

He's always against us.

As a selfish sports fan, you want everything to go right for your team. As a selfish sports journalist, things are much easier to write - and, thus, easier to sell and market - when there's a surplus of chaos. Kawakami is in the business of stirring up sh*t. Even when the entire Bay Area was simultaneously celebrating the return of Don Nelson as head coach - a move that immediately payed playoff-dividends - Kawakami was writing an article about how Nelson detroyed the team the first time around and rehiring him screamed of desperation. He was the only guy that made a huge stink about the Warriors signing Chris Webber on his last leg. He was a total Baron Davis hater when we had him; loved to talk about how he'd quit on his teams, how injury-prone he was, how selfish of a ball player he was... and then, as soon, as Davis left, Kawakami ROASTED Mullin and company for letting him leave. He's a complete and total glutton for punishment because it makes his job easier to perform. FoxNews brings in over a billion dollars per year selling the same stuff. Chaos, disarray, panic, hoping for the worst... it all pays off in the news industry these days.

I stopped reading anything Kawakami or Ray Ratto writes a long time ago...
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:45 pm
32 wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:

In all seriousness, that helps ease a lot of the stress I had about Bogut coming back mid-season. Great update, 8th.

I can never tell what Kawakami is thinking. Whether he is playing devil's advocate or if he's just always against us.

He's always against us.

As a selfish sports fan, you want everything to go right for your team. As a selfish sports journalist, things are much easier to write - and, thus, easier to sell and market - when there's a surplus of chaos. Kawakami is in the business of stirring up sh*t. Even when the entire Bay Area was simultaneously celebrating the return of Don Nelson as head coach - a move that immediately payed playoff-dividends - Kawakami was writing an article about how Nelson detroyed the team the first time around and rehiring him screamed of desperation. He was the only guy that made a huge stink about the Warriors signing Chris Webber on his last leg. He was a total Baron Davis hater when we had him; loved to talk about how he'd quit on his teams, how injury-prone he was, how selfish of a ball player he was... and then, as soon, as Davis left, Kawakami ROASTED Mullin and company for letting him leave. He's a complete and total glutton for punishment because it makes his job easier to perform. FoxNews brings in over a billion dollars per year selling the same stuff. Chaos, disarray, panic, hoping for the worst... it all pays off in the news industry these days.

Yea I noticed that. Kawakami also said they should have kept Randolph. I noticed that whatever he writes, it's always a pessimistic negative opinion. Steimetz is also kind of blunt sometimes, but at least I find Steimetz fun to listen to.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:13 pm
Stairway Man wrote:
32 wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:

He's always against us.

Yea I noticed that. Kawakami also said they should have kept Randolph. I noticed that whatever he writes, it's always a pessimistic negative opinion. Steimetz is also kind of blunt sometimes, but at least I find Steimetz fun to listen to.

I used to refer to Steinmetz as "Mr. Casual", cause he'd never wear a tie on TV, but since he cleaned up his look, I'm starting to refer to him as "Mr. Safety". You'll never hear Steinmetz go out on a limb or otherwise predict something that isn't painfully obvious. He's not exactly a pessimist, like Tim K or Ratto, but he refuses to cross Vegas when it comes to making his picks. The popular choice is always where you'll find Matty.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:04 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
32 wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:

He's always against us.

I stopped reading anything Kawakami or Ray Ratto writes a long time ago...

Me too. I don't know how anyone can read all those idiocies that those two can write most of the time. So much negativity in almost every article you write...just makes you look pathetic, when you try to put down franchise and owners. If you do it after some bad move, fine, but every time, just make you look like a clown, or tool.

Steinmetz is a class act for those two.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:26 am
:dontknow: Call me a sadist, but I actually like Ratto's stuff.

It's definitely got a negative spin to it most of the time, but the one thing I'll give him above Kawakami is that Ratto is as good as anybody at giving our star players the credit they deserve. His article entitled, "Melky Cabrera for MVP", before anybody was giving Buster any love, was poetry. Ratto has an agenda, like Tim K, but for some reason, I just prefer his flavor of ice cream. And I won't claim to make any sense for it. :wink:
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:36 pm
32 wrote::dontknow: Call me a sadist, but I actually like Ratto's stuff.

It's definitely got a negative spin to it most of the time, but the one thing I'll give him above Kawakami is that Ratto is as good as anybody at giving our star players the credit they deserve. His article entitled, "Melky Cabrera for MVP", before anybody was giving Buster any love, was poetry. Ratto has an agenda, like Tim K, but for some reason, I just prefer his flavor of ice cream. And I won't claim to make any sense for it. :wink:

Sadist....

But seriously, I also like reading Ratto as well as Tim K. They do exhibit all too often pessimistic outlooks on Bay Area sports, but when a team or individual is performing well, they do give due credit. Take the 9ers for instance, nothing but love for what that organization is doing, while they constantly hammer teams like the Warriors and Raiders.

The only thing I don't like about these guys is they seem to have a natural tendency to subscribe to, or even create, conspiracy theories by team management and media direction - particularly Kawakami. Not to mention Kawakami's constant battled with his twitter followers, which can be entertaining sometimes, but is annoying for the most part. Dude even replied to one of my tweets; I can't recall his original tweet, but I sent him a message saying something to the affect of "Way to alienate your readers." His response was, "Why thank you!" I think he blocked me after that, lol.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:58 pm
Here's a nice read about Bogut's recovery and a little more...

Almost ready, Bogut plans to bring badness back to the Bay

OAKLAND -- Andrew Bogut is recovering from ankle surgery on schedule. Progress reports from doctors have all been positive. He hopes to be cleared to join full-contact work within a couple weeks, and chances are good he will be in the Golden State lineup opening night. That's the medical update.

He also said he is preparing to fight some teammates. At the very least, he's after some heated, up-close-and-personal time just to make sure they hear him clearly. That's the most important update.

Bogut will return from a fractured left ankle that he suffered Jan. 25 while still a member of the Bucks, no matter how many want to portray him as an Australian Greg Oden or Yao Ming. When he does, his biggest impact won't be measured in individual statistics. The rebounding numbers will be telling -- the Warriors desperately need help there -- and the contributions on offense will be important. Bogut remains a skilled passer with a nice shooting touch.

Still, simply getting back on the court can't be his only goal. If Bogut plays 75 games at a decent level, the trade that brought him to Golden State has pancaked. The Warriors need standout play at center, because a truly impactful Bogut makes power forward David Lee better, because Bogut can set up the several scoring wings for baskets and, most of all, because Bogut can be the force in the middle on defense. A lot needs to spin off him. Solid will not cut it.

Bogut also has to bring that attitude that he talks about.

"If I can influence other people to step up their up games defensively, that'll be mission accomplished for me," he said. "I think I need to bring the same tenacity and the same defensive mindset I had in Milwaukee, but make it rub off on David Lee and Brandon Rush and Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, that we need to get stops to win games. I think that's more my goal than it is to actually go out there and block five shots a game. I think if we can get everyone on the same page defensively and hold guys accountable -- which guys probably weren't held accountable the last few seasons defensively -- I think we'll be better."

Holding each other accountable. Being prepared to get in a teammate's face. Now we're getting somewhere.

"If there's not one fight in practice during the season -- you never want to fight just to fight -- but if there's not one little scuffle or one little verbal, something's wrong. Guys aren't competing, guys aren't there for the right reason, guys are just punching the clock," he said. "I guarantee you if you interview the Lakers and the Celtics with Paul Pierce and Garnett, there's scuffles at practice, there's physicality, elbows thrown. You have to go through that when the time is right. If something needs to be said and someone doesn't like it, you've got to go out and say, 'Hey, that's part of being the leader.' This team won 20-something games last season [23]. Things have to change.

Link: http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/10/05/frisky-andrew-bogut-ready-to-get-going-in-golden-state/index.html

This was a great read and we haven't had attitude like this on the Warriors since I can remember. There's a fire starting in Warriors camp that's going to surprise the league. Just the attitude of all the players in general is the best I've seen in training camp. The camaraderie and the competitiveness is hard to miss and Bogut is one of the fire starters.

I don't want to get ahead of myself though. The season has not even started and we haven't seen this turn into wins yet, but it is very nice to witness the Warriors moving in the right direction from the get-go.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:38 pm
Nice read Josh. Bogut has got attitude and toughness and that goes along way most of the time. If he continues to be the performer he has been, he is definately a keeper for a few years at least. Lee improving defensively will AND not reducing his rebounding now with Bogut here will make him a much better layer at PF. Same for the other players with improving their defense.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:35 am
Thanks for posting that, Josh.

I've actually read that article prior to it being posted and it's certainly a huge shot in the arm for this franchise. Imagine that. Andrew Bogut is literally taking it upon himself to turn David Lee into a solid post defender, he wants to alter the culture of this franchise and make it a mean, gritty, defensive hub for basketball, a place where teams dread coming because they know they're gonna get roughed up. Andrew Bogut is completely possessed with the numbers in the WIN column...

... and, again, THIS is the guy they were boo'ing on Chris Mullin night, when all the belly-achers were squealing to Lacob about the Monta Ellis trade, THIS big ass monster, this ogre of a man - whom Milwaukee would have laughed us out of the building if we inquired about him while healthy for Monta friggin Ellis - was the guy that all the short-sighted nobodies in the audience were actually boo'ing.

And please believe, this will not be the last time I bring this up this season. You can be sure that I'm gonna beat this dead horse all year long whenever Bogut has a game-changing effect on us. Count on it.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:39 am
32 wrote:THIS is the guy they were boo'ing on Chris Mullin night, when all the belly-achers were squealing to Lacob about the Monta Ellis trade, THIS big ass monster, this ogre of a man - whom Milwaukee would have laughed us out of the building if we inquired about him while healthy for Monta friggin Ellis - was the guy that all the short-sighted nobodies in the audience were actually boo'ing.

And please believe, this will not be the last time I bring this up this season. You can be sure that I'm gonna beat this dead horse all year long whenever Bogut has a game-changing effect on us. Count on it.

A-fucking-men!
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:34 am
How can bogut be ready to play in an NBA game opening night when he isn't in playing shape and hasn't played 5 on 5?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:43 am
He still has over two weeks to go to get in proper condition and he may or may not get there, but he'll be there very soon and that's all that counts. He will then have to show how valuable he really is.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:45 am
migya wrote:He still has over two weeks to go to get in proper condition and he may or may not get there, but he'll be there very soon and that's all that counts. He will then have to show how valuable he really is.

It really only takes a couple of weeks to get in nba shape?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:10 am
Stairway Man wrote:
migya wrote:He still has over two weeks to go to get in proper condition and he may or may not get there, but he'll be there very soon and that's all that counts. He will then have to show how valuable he really is.

He hasn't been sitting on his rear end all this time. He has been training and the next step will be to play in actually games.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:40 am
migya wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:

He hasn't been sitting on his rear end all this time. He has been training and the next step will be to play in actually games.

Exactly.

You're can't get into "game-shape" without actual court run, but Bogut's doing everything he can to stay ready without damaging his wheel. He's been jogging on a low impact treadmill since early September. And, for what it's worth, Bogut has been shooting from close range to maintain his touch since getting hurt.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball