PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:47 am
Olajuwon...

Now, between those two:

Better player =====> D-Rob
Most Effective=====> Shaq
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:50 am
yeah,neither of em were as good as the dream,in fact at times(many)he made em both look very ordinary

aaaanyway,for the sake of the question,Shaq
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:25 am
TMC wrote:Olajuwon...

Now, between those two:

Better player =====> D-Rob
Most Effective=====> Shaq

Right on the money!

I really loved the Admiral but he failed to step up enough and that was his downfall! NEVER and I mean NEVER has there been a more athletic big guy in the nba! Maybe Garnett is as asthletic! David Robinson could run and jump unbelievably but never used his height and strength to anywhere near full potential!

Duncan is known as the big fundamental but Robinson can be known as the big didn't use all his fundamentals!

Robinson could have dominated the league much more than what he did from day 1! He choose to be more of a finesse sort of player even though he had the size, strength and athletic ability to dunk like Shaq and glide like Jordan!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:19 am
migya wrote:Robinson can be known as the big didn't use all his fundamentals!

::lol:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:10 am
migya wrote:Maybe Garnett is as asthletic!

Eh, no. Garnett may be able to move and run like Robinson could, but he has nothing of DRob's pure strength. That guy could give Zo a run for his money in the middle...

migya wrote:Robinson could have dominated the league much more than what he did from day 1! He choose to be more of a finesse sort of player even though he had the size, strength and athletic ability to dunk like Shaq and glide like Jordan!

I don't know about this, either. Sure, David was strong as all hell, but he wasn't big (as far as overall mass). Other centers putting a body on him could play him, physically. I don't think he had the body to play that giant-style of ball (like Shaq does). Robinson's weapons included his lefty jump-shot (which was incredibly accurate, at the time, for a 7-footer) and his athletic ability (ie, running the floor, blocking shots high in the air, rebounding, ect). He never had the option of being what Shaquille O'Neal was.

BT wrote:David Robinson vs Shaquelle O Neal

Easy, Shaquille O'Neal. Look at their teams: Shaq litterally turned an expansion team into a championship contender overnight. I'm at a loss for anybody else in NBA History who's done the same. Robinson had some great squads with Rodman, Sean Elliot, and Avery Johnson... but he could never carry the Spurs through the thick and thin. It wasn't until the arrival of Tim Duncan that David Robinson was able to lead the Spurs into the NBA Finals. When you're a center in the NBA, you must often judge the success of your career along the same lines of your team's because a big man is such a big piece of the puzzle. No other position in the NBA is as crucial to a team's success as a center. And Shaq's teams have had more success with him at center than Robinson's did.

... although I never get tired of seeing David Robinson highlights... they seriously are something to behold! My favorite is the one where Avery Johnson runs the break, lofts the ball up 4 or 5 feet from the hole, and DRob comes flying in (sideways) with one hand and chops the ball into the rack! Amare Stoudamire thinks the league's never seen something like him before; but look at old David Robinson clips and notice the similarities.

To end, I must say I disagree with the claim that Hakeem Olajuon is better than Shaquille O'Neal, but I won't expand on it unless someone really wants to change the debate into that.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:20 pm
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:Maybe Garnett is as asthletic!

Eh, no. Garnett may be able to move and run like Robinson could, but he has nothing of DRob's pure strength. That guy could give Zo a run for his money in the middle...

migya wrote:Robinson could have dominated the league much more than what he did from day 1! He choose to be more of a finesse sort of player even though he had the size, strength and athletic ability to dunk like Shaq and glide like Jordan!

I don't know about this, either. Sure, David was strong as all hell, but he wasn't big (as far as overall mass). Other centers putting a body on him could play him, physically. I don't think he had the body to play that giant-style of ball (like Shaq does). Robinson's weapons included his lefty jump-shot (which was incredibly accurate, at the time, for a 7-footer) and his athletic ability (ie, running the floor, blocking shots high in the air, rebounding, ect). He never had the option of being what Shaquille O'Neal was.

BT wrote:David Robinson vs Shaquelle O Neal

Easy, Shaquille O'Neal. Look at their teams: Shaq litterally turned an expansion team into a championship contender overnight. I'm at a loss for anybody else in NBA History who's done the same. Robinson had some great squads with Rodman, Sean Elliot, and Avery Johnson... but he could never carry the Spurs through the thick and thin. It wasn't until the arrival of Tim Duncan that David Robinson was able to lead the Spurs into the NBA Finals. When you're a center in the NBA, you must often judge the success of your career along the same lines of your team's because a big man is such a big piece of the puzzle. No other position in the NBA is as crucial to a team's success as a center. And Shaq's teams have had more success with him at center than Robinson's did.

... although I never get tired of seeing David Robinson highlights... they seriously are something to behold! My favorite is the one where Avery Johnson runs the break, lofts the ball up 4 or 5 feet from the hole, and DRob comes flying in (sideways) with one hand and chops the ball into the rack! Amare Stoudamire thinks the league's never seen something .

ha the famous "4 on 1 to the Admiral!"
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:18 am
Love that clip! Also a big fan of any Robinson 360 that's ever been thrown down! Ususally, big men start off sideways and slam down some wack, 180 dunk that they try and pass off as a 360... Robinson's the only 7-footer I've seen to legitly throw down a 360 dunk in a game situation. He was one of the most athletic big men of all time.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:41 am
I reckon he was the most athletic ever but just din't use the skills to the fullest

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:24 am
I dunno about that, migya... he went pretty far in his career. 3 Dream Teams, a Championship ring, a scoring title, an MVP, DPlayer of the Year, a couple rebounding titles, ROY, countless All-NBA teams, and even the Sportsmanship Award! I dunno how much more David Robinson could have done...

If it's because his numbers seem modest for his ability, it's because he's a team-first player who couldn't care less about his numbers (unless he's battling for the scoring title and needs 70 points in one game to get it :) )
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:54 am
With the skilss and abilties he had, David Robinson should be the undisputed greatest player of all time! He should have scored more than anybody every year and got MVP just about every year! The Spurs should have won championship well before Tim Duncan arrived!

David Robinson was one of my favourite players but I admit that he didn't get anywhere near the most out of his abilities

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:57 am
Well, if he had Jordan's talent in Robinson's body, that'd be one thing... but there have been many athletic players overtime who underachieve compared to their skilled counterparts. I, personally, think Robinson played the game as well as he could. Sure, if he was a little more ruthless, a little more fearless, and a little more aggressive, he probably would have made a bigger splash... but I don't think it would be big enough to make a difference. Besides, by avoiding all that emotion during the game and just keeping his head clear, he became an icon in the category of sportsmanship. In fact, during that Billy Crystal movie where he yells, "Hey, Charles! I'll see you in San Antonio!" after the Spurs beat the Suns... it looked ridiculous to see The Admiral talking smack. He was just too good of a guy.

The only way I can see Robinson advancing her personal stat's anymore would be to turn up the emotion and aggression... which would have destroyed his image. I think things turned out for the best.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:43 am
Image............ Nothing improves image like winning championships!

Robinson just didn't have enough fire to go that little bit further.

So much skills that he could have done anything he wanted to but just didn't use them to the fullest

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:25 am
I dunno... I don't think we're gonna agree on this. I think Robinson played his hand to the fullest extent he could. It's not like he was lost potential; the guy's one of the best players of all time.
Next

Return to Sports Board