What Bogut brings and how much better will team be

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:54 am
I'm looking forward to see those changes as I said already. Bogut can only help Lee keeping his strength throughout the games by not having to guard opposing centers anymore, and try to score against them.

Just said that this last season he improved his numbers a bit during the garbage time. Far from it that I believe he's a bad player. And I really do like Lee, both, as a player and as a person. Definitely one of the best guys you can come across in the NBA. And that's one more thing that I like with Warriors...it looks like we are gathering those nice personality type of players. No dirty players like Matt Barnes, World Peace, etc.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:58 am
migya wrote:To me Lee plays well enough in most things but defense. It's his defense that has to be masked and Bogut could well do that. Be interesting.

Agreed; Bogut transformed Drew Gooden's game. It'll be interesting to see his effect on Lee.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:37 pm
Bogut says he might miss preseason opener. May make a couple of appearances still.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/basketball-go ... eedID=5986

For the lazy:

Warriors center Andrew Bogut, who is returning after sustaining a season-ending ankle injury in 2011-12, left open the possibility on Sunday that he might not play in some of the Warriors’ preseason games come October.

But Bogut insisted that his rehabilitation is on track and that he expects to be 100 percent by the time the Warriors play their 2012-13 regular-season opener on Oct. 31 against the Suns in Phoenix.

“That’s my goal,” Bogut said when asked if he thought he’d be fully back by the Phoenix game. “I definitely want to be ready for training camp, and I think it will be close. But I think I’ll definitely be ready for the first game. So the immediate goal with all of this is to be ready for the first game, whether that means only playing in only half the preseason games or whatever or just being smart.

“It’s about being smart with my ankle. There’s no point in trying to get ready for October 1st, when another week might significantly help. I’m trying to get ready for camp, but my main goal is to be 110 percent for the first game of the season.”

[STEINMETZ: Warriors 2012-2013 outlook: Issue No. 1 -- Bogut's health]

Bogut, who started last season on the Milwaukee Bucks, fractured his left ankle on Jan. 25, and missed the remainder of the season. He played in only 12 of 66 games, the fourth consecutive season he has missed time because of injury.

The Warriors acquired Bogut in mid-March in a deal that included Monta Ellis and Ekpe Udoh.

Warriors general manager Bob Myers had indicated earlier this offseason that Bogut would likely be 100 percent by the start of training camp. But it seems unlikely Bogut will participate in all of training camp, particularly early on.

Then again, it’s doubtful Bogut would have participated in all aspects of training camp even if he were weeks ahead of where he is now.

“Obviously that’s going to involve two-a-days,” Bogut said of those first practices. “So, let’s say I have a great session in the morning and the ankle pulls up a little sore. We’ve got to be smart in early October. There’s no point in trying to be a hero and pushing myself and having a setback.

“Throughout this process we’ve been very cautious and I expect to do the same throughout training camp. Hey, if I get through a session or two and feel fine, I’ll probably want to go another session. But it’s a matter of monitoring it very smartly and not doing something stupid.”

Bogut said he has been running on the treadmill in recent weeks, and he hopes to be cleared for on-court running in a couple/few weeks. He’s been lifting weights and shooting throughout the summer – even going back as far as last April when he had his boot on.

Bogut had surgery after sustaining the injury, then had another procedure in April to clean out debris.

“That’s still probably hard to speculate since I’ve just been cleared to start light jogging,” Bogut said of when he anticipates being full-speed. “It’s probably going to be another couple of weeks until I start jogging on the court. So hopefully that will still give me enough time to get ready for training camp. But I don’t anticipate not being ready for the first game.”

Bogut is currently working out in Australia and plans on returning to the Bay Area after Labor Day.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:32 pm
He's awfully casual about the urgency of his return...

I'm not annoyed (yet), but you can definitely sense why Milwaukee fans tired of Bogut and his laid-back tonality in regards to his health. Dude hasn't set foot on a court since the first month of last season and even after an 8th month vacation, he still sounds wishy-washy about the date of his return. He's had more than enough time to recover from a fractured bone - and I continue to believe that his injuries aren't chronic - yet I'm still pretty unsettled.

As long as he's ready by the Phoenix game, I guess it's all good.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:02 pm
I hope Bogut's ankle heals good, but it does sound a bit like it is still a way off from being anywhere near 100%. It is close to the end of August so the season is only some eight weeks away.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:16 am
32, don't worry just yet. He's Australian - We're all casual. It's most likely his way of taking the pressure off himself. He'll be fine. I'd much rather the Warriors be cautious with Bogut and not push him too much at the start of the season(especially preseason) to ensure that he plays as many regular and post season games as possible. We saw what happened when Curry was rushed back too early. Bogut is a precious resource for the Warriors and they need to look after him as we don't have a lot of options to replace him. The difference between the Warriors with Bogut and the Warriors without Bogut will be massive.
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:40 am
There is a really good interview with Bogut on NBA.com:

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/08/20/bogu ... ef:nbahpt2
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:16 am
Good read, Ringo, and I certainly hope you're right. A misinterpretation of Bogut's laid-back Aussie demeanor is a welcomed alternative to my previous assertion that he wasn't pushing himself. You're absolutely on-point in your assessment that Andrew Bogut is a precious (some might argue, THE most precious) commodity in Warrior Land.

There's no arguing, Bogut's minutes on and off the floor will almost directly correlate to Golden State's victory total. An NBA squad - especially in the West - only goes as far as their heavyweight. Look at the marked improvements of LA after acquiring Gasol, OKC in the wake of the Perkins trade, or how fast Phoenix fell off once A'Mare skipped town.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:58 pm
ESPN Insider's Tom Haberstroh did an article on the Warriors and how we're going to turn it around. Gettin some recognition before the season starts? Hell yeah.

For the Golden State Warriors, this season is shaping up to be playoffs or bust...ed ankles.

The fate of the 2012-13 rests on the problematic ankles of their star players, Stephen Curry and Andrew Bogut. There's a good reason why the ESPN staff picked Golden State as one of the biggest candidates for a turnaround in this year's Summer Forecast: If healthy, Curry and Bogut are good enough to push the Warriors into the playoff scene for the first time since 2006-07 and just the second time in more than 15 years.

It's easy to see why the Brooklyn Nets are the most popular pick to make the leap this season; they landed a six-time All-Star in Joe Johnson, they might get a full season out of Brook Lopez, and they beefed up their rotation with newcomers Mirza Teletovic and C.J. Watson. Top it off with a new arena, look and locale, and the Nets feel like an expansion team that doesn't have to suffer through a talent drought like an expansion team.

Though the Nets unquestionably boast the sexier offseason compared to the Warriors, what happened in Golden State's summer could be just as fruitful. Both Curry and Bogut have been rehabbing from ankle surgeries since April, and both hope to be healthy enough for training camp. This can't be stressed enough: If Curry and Bogut strengthened their ankles enough to survive a season without a flat tire, that rehab could have a bigger impact than any free-agent pickup.

Bogut, defensive monster
Bogut and Curry might represent the most underappreciated defensive and offensive players in the NBA, respectively. When healthy -- and that hasn't been the case for about two years now -- Bogut can be as dominant defensively as any big man outside of Dwight Howard and maybe Tyson Chandler. (Side note: It's a myth to say that Bogut is injury-prone, considering his broken ankle in 2011 and mangled right arm injury in 2010 were exactly as he described them -- freak occurrences).

Before Bogut landed on Kyle Lowry's foot in January, he and his 7-foot frame had anchored a top-five defense for three seasons in Milwaukee. Sure, you could owe a bulk of the credit to coach Scott Skiles' instruction. But Bogut's stellar defensive on-court/off-court ratings underline his instrumental role on that side of the floor: minus-4.9 per 100 possessions in 2009-10; minus-3.0 in 2010-11; and an absurd minus-10.0 in 2011-12 (albeit in just 12 games). All this is to say that no one could score on the Bucks when Bogut took the floor. Without him? The Bucks had just another defense.

With the critical "if healthy" qualifier in mind, Bogut could be the perfect antidote for Golden State's chronic defensive ills. The Warriors basically have laid down for opponents a red carpet to the rim, ranking dead-last in defensive efficiency the past five seasons. You could count on one hand how many players can transform a defense as Bogut does, and well, look at that -- he's about to debut for the league's most defensively inept franchise of recent times.

"Steve Nash and Dwight Howard lite"
[+] Enlarge
Chris Graythen/Getty Images
Andrew Bogut could be the defensive anchor Golden State has needed for years.
The Bucks were never able to surround Bogut with an efficient offense, but that shouldn't be an issue anymore as long as Curry's on the floor. Executives from around the league have touted Curry as the next coming of Steve Nash, and that's not without merit. Though he hasn't been able to shake his ankle issues, Curry has been nothing short of a wizard with the basketball in his short time in the league. He currently owns the second-best 3-point shooting percentage in NBA history and ranks among the best free throw shooters the game has ever seen.

Curry can shoot, but it remains to be seen whether he'll ever approach Nash's distribution skills. Curry's assist rate checks out below the league average, but it's worth noting that his turnover issues might be overblown: His assist-to-turnover ratio, for example, was better than Russell Westbrook's and on par with Deron Williams'. It's worth remembering that when Curry has played without Monta Ellis in his career, the Warriors have scored 110.1 points per 100 possessions -- an offensive rating that would have been tops for the league each of the past two seasons.

In Curry and Bogut, the Warriors for once will pair an offensive genius with a defensive powerhouse. Think of it as a slightly lesser and less-talked about version of Nash and Howard. As Howard will be for Nash, Bogut will be able to rescue Curry from his defensive mistakes. On the flip side, Bogut will look like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar compared to Golden State's status quo of Kwame Brown, Mickell Gladness, Andris Biedrins and Mikki Moore.

Pickin' wings
If the biggest question in Warriors world is whether Bogut and Curry can finish the season in one piece, the next biggest unknown is who will emerge from the logjam at the wing positions. Between Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes, Richard Jefferson, Brandon Rush and Jarrett Jack, the Warriors have one of the most diverse groups of perimeter players league-wide. Young and old, spot-up shooters to dribble-drivers, defenders to gunners. It remains to be seen whether any of them will pan out to become a reliable scoring option, but coach Mark Jackson will certainly have his hands full there.

Elsewhere, I'm on the record as being a big fan of Draymond Green's game, especially if he's paired with Bogut to mask his defensive liabilities at power forward. Green and Barnes might have been established names in the collegiate ranks, but skepticism remains whether their games will translate to the big show. Not scoring points in Barnes' favor is that statistically speaking, his closest collegiate comp is Alonzo Gee, a player who has been waived four times in three seasons, according to KenPom.com.

Coupled with the uncertain health of their star players, the Warriors' wing competition makes them perhaps the league's most unpredictable team this season. With their bubbling youth, unproven coach and gimpy ankles, it makes sense that our staff isn't completely sold they'll even be a .500 team next season.

But this has the makings of a breakout season. Bogut's career has been mired in relative obscurity in Milwaukee, but rest assured, if he has an injury-free season in one of the country's biggest markets, people will come around. Golden State finally got its defensive anchor to complement Curry's brilliant offensive talents. And if -- a Bogut-sized if -- they can stay healthy, chances are a playoff ticket will finally complement Golden State's rabid fan base.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:10 pm
Nice read that article.

Bogut really is that valuable and I like the comparison to Nash and Dwight. Thing is ofcourse, Curry is still in the beginning of his career, Nash is right at the end of his. This could be a longterm great situation for the Warriors and I sure hope it is. There still has t be at elast one good defender emerge from the other four starters or at least a great team defensive set for everything to truly be as good as it could be.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 pm
Agreed..we all know that, on paper, we are the 5-8th best team in the West. And with every other team, health is a HUGE issue. What if Kobe sustained a freak accident? Sure, they'd still be good with DH and SN in there but they wouldn't be the same. I know that it's no comparison..with out injury bug hitting so early in our players' careers..but anything's possible. Nothing's certain. We can speculate all we want..but the truth is..top 5-8 with no injuries..fighting for another good lottery pick if 2 or more of our 'star' players are injured.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:05 pm
I think that with everyone healthy and things going almost as well as they could, the team could even be better than the Clips and Grizz, making them fourth at best in the West.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:24 pm
Knightofoceans wrote:Agreed..we all know that, on paper, we are the 5-8th best team in the West. And with every other team, health is a HUGE issue. What if Kobe sustained a freak accident? Sure, they'd still be good with DH and SN in there but they wouldn't be the same. I know that it's no comparison..with out injury bug hitting so early in our players' careers..but anything's possible. Nothing's certain. We can speculate all we want..but the truth is..top 5-8 with no injuries..fighting for another good lottery pick if 2 or more of our 'star' players are injured.

I couldn't agree more. Injuries are a concern for every team, not just the Warriors.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:03 am
Knightofoceans wrote:Agreed..we all know that, on paper, we are the 5-8th best team in the West. And with every other team, health is a HUGE issue. What if Kobe sustained a freak accident? Sure, they'd still be good with DH and SN in there but they wouldn't be the same. I know that it's no comparison..with out injury bug hitting so early in our players' careers..but anything's possible. Nothing's certain. We can speculate all we want..but the truth is..top 5-8 with no injuries..fighting for another good lottery pick if 2 or more of our 'star' players are injured.

The Lakers would be LUCKY if Kobe went down. He is not good anymore and he still thinks he's dominant. Did you watch the Olympics? He is way better at ruining an offensive rhythm than Monta ever was
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:32 pm
David Wood wrote:

The Lakers would be LUCKY if Kobe went down. He is not good anymore and he still thinks he's dominant. Did you watch the Olympics? He is way better at ruining an offensive rhythm than Monta ever was

And yet somehow I'd still have him, even ahead of the great Klay. :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball