San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:30 am
They definitely have added a lot more speed and explosiveness on offense which is great. We are pretty deep at WR and RB all of a sudden.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:04 pm
hobbes wrote:Yeah, I was actually hoping they would go guard. Maybe they have someone in mind in the 2nd round. Maybe they can move up a bit and get that guy from Midwestern State.

Jumping into the Alex debate late, it will be really interesting to see what happens if Alex gets hurt at all and Kaep gets any playing time. I am REALLY high on this guy, and was the guy I wanted them to draft in 2011 and was stunned when they actually did. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the starter by 2013. Nothing against Alex, but I think he's near his ceiling. I expect to improve a bit this year with a full off-season, but aside from that I don't think we'll get much more from him. I think he's an average starting quarterback at best, no more, no less.

I'm not a fan of Kaep - i know he was a rookie and had a short camp, but he looked about as bad as any QB I've ever seen in the preseason. I've also read that the staff and FO aren't happy with his lack of progression. Honestly I doubt he'll ever been more than a starter for a few games and maybe a desperate team's last hope.

Alex was slightly better than average last year (IMO), he was just really restricted. I'm looking for him to continue his breakout this season and put up legit probowl numbers - seriously! He has all the tools and is obviously a smart player. Even his arm is bigger than most would assume. Our receiving core was dog **** last season and obviously that wont be the case this season so I bet Alex blows up and silences the remaining critics. If Alex doesn't continue to improve, he will still be serviceable considering how good our team is and be out in another season or so.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:33 pm
As most of you are aware by now, the 9ers are the latest (and seemingly most interested) team to take a look at the recently exonerated MLB Brian Banks. I don't know much about the guy, other than what the media has posted, but he seems to have a potentially huge upside after being one of the most promising recruits in the country. Obviously it's unrealistic to think that this guy is going to come in and challenge either Bowman or Willis (lol) for a starting job and it seems with Larry Grant and others, eve have solid depth at the MLB spot. So I'm curious if this guy has any OLB/pass rush abilities. Aldon Smith is going to be our every-down ROLB, but Brooks didn't quite live up to my expectations on the left side - he was solid and all, but seemed to lack that explosion that we saw glimpses of the season before.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:49 pm
Any update on Aldon Smith's stabbing incident? Hopefully he learned his lesson about getting involved with the wrong crowd...
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:02 am
It's only preseason.. But Damn!!!

Kaepernick had a 80 yard TD run.

This guy is clearly the better athlete when compared to Alex Smith & I totally think he will be the better Quarterback to Alex Smith. (talking career wise not currently)

If Smith struggles.. I think Harbaugh is gonna have faith in this kid!!! A real talent.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:36 am
Wow, dude! Have you watched the game actually? Kaep still sucks when it comes to being a quarterback. Yeah, he had a 78 yard TD run, but that D was pathetic, 2nd string team, and beside that, he didn't do anything, except being good with short passes on the run. Footwork is still bad, mechanics, miles away from what they should be...etc.

I know you hate Alex for some reason, but Kaep is nowhere near his league at the moment. For him it's all about potential, and he isn't improving as he should have. Heck, just go to the 49ers message board and you'll see that people actually believe that Tolzien is a far better QB than Kaepernick now. He has the poise, mechanics, reads and is precise as hell...

You really need to check the important stuff...one good run doesn't make you a good QB, let alone mentioning that he is better than Alex.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:57 am
Guybrush wrote:Wow, dude! Have you watched the game actually? Kaep still sucks when it comes to being a quarterback. Yeah, he had a 78 yard TD run, but that D was pathetic, 2nd string team, and beside that, he didn't do anything, except being good with short passes on the run. Footwork is still bad, mechanics, miles away from what they should be...etc.

I know you hate Alex for some reason, but Kaep is nowhere near his league at the moment. For him it's all about potential, and he isn't improving as he should have. Heck, just go to the 49ers message board and you'll see that people actually believe that Tolzien is a far better QB than Kaepernick now. He has the poise, mechanics, reads and is precise as hell...

You really need to check the important stuff...one good run doesn't make you a good QB, let alone mentioning that he is better than Alex.

I did not say he is better then Alex.

I pointed that I believe he will have be better then Alex (career wise)

I see 5-6 years of failure with Alex & he finally putting together a good year last year. I think in 5 years time Kaepernick will be the man!!! footwork is fixable.

& come on bro..
Heck, just go to the 49ers message board

That is not happening!!! I'm not gonna waste my time going to a Niners board.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:11 am
You see, it's hard to explain some things you should know before you start bashing a player. ::razz:

If you haven't noticed before, let me remind you that Alex until this season didn't have a single time where he could have one playbook for two consecutive seasons. I know that might sound irrelevant to some, but you go ahead and try learning all of those plays every year, going from the scratch. I think I don't need to mention who his HCs were...if you think, Alex didn't suck, the 49ers sucked along with their incompetent coaches. He was just thrown in the fire as a young kid with a lot of potential, and it was expected of him to deliver...but revolving doors for O Line, no WRs, Vernon still being raw...what could he do? Not to mention that D wasn't even close to this now.

And, because of all of that, especially that O line, kid got hurt, he played through shoulder separation cause coach was throwing him under the bus, and then he had to miss the next whole season because of that injury and surgery he had to go to. So, tell me, how is it Alex's failure? With a good teammates, great coach, and time to learn the playbook he is finally doing his thing. Last year, the best games he had were in the PO, he was clutch, he ran, lead others...amazing guz after all he's bee through, and I'm sure not a single person in the locker room would say other wise. He is a winner...after you overcome all of those obstacles and get to win as much as he did finally last year, you see a true winner. It's easy to be called winner when you fall into perfect situation, with everything already built around you and great teammates, excellent coaches etc.

I just wanna see what he ca do this season with finally some weapons at WR position and a second year with same playbook.

And, I think, if Alex continues like this, we might not even get to see Kaep start for the 49ers...they both have 3 years left on their contracts. And right now, I, along with a lot of other fans, would feel a lot more secure if Tolzien stepped in, if, god forbid, Alex gets injured, than Kaepernick.

That's all.

You don't have to go, but you should, if you wanna get some more info. :)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:20 am
Here's one post from that message board where some guy put it really well as how things are:

Tolzien is the 2nd best quarterback on the roster. He played a perfect game. He had 3 incompletions and none of them were his fault: drop by Jenkins, drop by Palmer, and then hit as he threw for the INT.

I don't see why all the Shaun Hill lovers have flocked to Kaepernick. He's the polar opposite. Tolzien is very much a younger Hill with a stronger arm (and Tolzien has an average arm at best). He has the same 3/4 release and gets it out QUICK. Makes very fast reads and has good anticipation. Kaepernick has a SLOW *** release and cannot read a defense or throw from the pocket to save his life. The rollouts and shotgun draws are cute but that's not what you need in an NFL quarterback. Trot him out there in the wildcat and for special packages but NOT as a reliable backup. I thought we'd see some progression in Kaepernick but it seems like he's still is a one-read-and-run type quarterback and is only effective in rollouts which cuts the field in half. The only reason why Kaepernick is #2 is because of his draft status. They gave up a pick to move up and get him in the 2nd round and have a lot invested in him.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:46 am
Tolzien is definitely the more polished QB right now, but Kaep is the more raw talent. You see something like the 78-yard TD, and then the next drive being late on his reads and almost throwing a pick. I am not sure if Tolzien has the ability to be a starter in this league but he can definitely be a #2. Kaepernick seems to struggle in the pocket, but you also have to factor he played roughly one quarter of NFL football last year and hasn't had a lot of game reps. I don't think they can keep 4 QBs unless they somehow sneak Tolzien on the practice squad, which is doubtful. That's how SD lost him last year.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:37 am
I think that they are going to cut JJ. Tolzien might not have as much potential as Kaep, bu he already is a game ready QB. On the other hand, Kaep will be kept because of his draft status, and that potential, eve though he might never reach it.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Wow... Guybrush. You provide nothing but diehard homerism support for Alex Smith. (i respect that)

But the whole he's had different Offensive Co-Ordinators in each of his year, just does not cut it with me.
*Jason Campbell had the same scenario, played in a tougher division (NFC EAST) & was drafted 20 something picks later then Alex Smith, but yet year in, year out proved to be the better QB then Alex Smith (& it's not like the Redskins were oozing the seems with talent)

Granted Alex had a better season last year then Jason Campbell.. I just think Alex was a bust up until last year.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:54 pm
hobbes wrote:Tolzien is definitely the more polished QB right now, but Kaep is the more raw talent. You see something like the 78-yard TD, and then the next drive being late on his reads and almost throwing a pick. I am not sure if Tolzien has the ability to be a starter in this league but he can definitely be a #2. Kaepernick seems to struggle in the pocket, but you also have to factor he played roughly one quarter of NFL football last year and hasn't had a lot of game reps. I don't think they can keep 4 QBs unless they somehow sneak Tolzien on the practice squad, which is doubtful. That's how SD lost him last year.

Kaepernick was also getting 1st team snaps in the game on Thursday.

I know he struggled.. But Harbaugh must believe in him. to have him 1st cab off the rank. Tolzien looks polished because he is going up against the scrubs.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:55 am
PAWNO wrote:Wow... Guybrush. You provide nothing but diehard homerism support for Alex Smith. (i respect that)

But the whole he's had different Offensive Co-Ordinators in each of his year, just does not cut it with me.
*Jason Campbell had the same scenario, played in a tougher division (NFC EAST) & was drafted 20 something picks later then Alex Smith, but yet year in, year out proved to be the better QB then Alex Smith (& it's not like the Redskins were oozing the seems with talent)

Granted Alex had a better season last year then Jason Campbell.. I just think Alex was a bust up until last year.

Those were pure facts, nothing was based on my desires or wishes.

Jason Campbell always played at the same level, and at the beginning he had better situation than Alex. He didn't improve a lot any season, he was always in that range, and Alex, now obviously, can do much more...and he is showing that. If he didn't, than I would be a homer, but he is now proving that everything I mentioned makes a lot of sense, because he is making a difference.

And that bust part is just being ignorant, not putting much thought into reasons for bad play and such...a easy way out, "Let's blame it on Alex".
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:49 am
Guybrush wrote:

And that bust part is just being ignorant, not putting much thought into reasons for bad play and such...a easy way out, "Let's blame it on Alex".

Yeah well he was a bust. I pointed out that Jason Campbell was drafted lower position & had more success in a team that was never gonna win it's division (I think JC got them to the playoffs his rookie season)

Good for Alex to turn it around. But I give a lot of credit to Harbaugh.. Will see if Alex got lucky last season. they got a pretty tough schedule.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board