Dwight to Lakers

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:47 pm
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/82520 ... l-complete

Team Receives in trade
Lakers Dwight Howard
Nuggets Andre Iguodala
76ers Andrew Bynum, Jason Richardson
Magic* Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Nikola Vucevic, Moe Harkless
*- Magic also will receive a protected 1st-round pick from each of the other three team

from espn

:shock: :banghead:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:16 pm
Just when I thought Andrew Bogut had a red hot shot at becoming an allstar centre.. D12 gets shipped west!

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:12 am
It sucks for the rest of the west, Dwight changes everything, plus nash setting him up, its bad news. Dwight got what he wanted like a little cry baby throwing tamper tantrums, so much for players playing out their contracts
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:41 am
I just don't get it, I mean those pieces Magic are getting are pretty much horrible. Both Iguodala and Bynum were involved in the trade, and yet the Magic didn't want either. I just don't see how this gave them something valuable in return for the best center in the game today.

Is there some kind of a rule that says people become retarded all of a sudden when the Lakers are also involved in a trade?
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:47 am
Bogut still can make all star team since Bynum's in the east now. His biggest competition for a backup role would be Marc Gasol probably.

LOL @ Magic. Wowww. Uh who'd they get? I can't see anyone. Cap space? Dwight Howard for cap space? Picks? Which can be as unknown as it gets. Idk why they didn't 't take back Bynum - at least he'ss someone to build around and they could at least attempt to resign him. They got nothing as far as a known commodity or proven player. If I were a Magic fan I'd be pissssed. They've drafted Shaq and Dwight and got hardly anything of substance in return when they left. Then again maybe they are going the Nets route of gutting the roster, collecting picks, with a ton of cap space for FA, etc. Still, it's a hard pill to swallow that the best center in the world supposedly can't even bring an all star back in return...

Iggy might make the Nuggets better, we'll have to wait n see. I still think W's will have a better record than them.

Lakers have become scary good, but good news is 1) Nash, Kobe, Gasol, Artest/WP are getting older 2) Lee/Bogut can at least keep us somewhat competitive where as before we had small ball vs giants 3) Heat will be in trouble
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:27 am
And I'm reading on the Orlando message board now that there are some people there that are actually defending this trade, and calling other fans ignorant because they can't understand how good this trade is. Mind boggling.

They pretty much didn't get anything...they could have done that anytime, what is it here that some people might like? They didn't get an all-star caliber player in return, those picks are risky at best, and they still have Hedo's, Big Baby's and Quentin's big contracts on their hands. If they wanted to tank so badly, and gut their roster, why did they re-sign Jameer? So many weird things they did that you have to scratch your had over it. And why would they pass on a second best center in the league? He's young, and they would get someone to at least build around with other pieces.

This way it looks like that Iguodala brought a lot more in return for the Sixers than Dwight did for the Magic.

And for those people saying that you can't get better than this, and that this trade is somehow good, that people are just too blind to see it...just look at the trade Denver did when they traded Melo. They didn't fall off the map completely, they got some new, young pieces, and stayed competitive. Heck, they played Lakers to the 7th game this last season.

Hennigan did a really bad job, in my opinion...really bad job.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:30 am
Well frankly that totally sucks! Just read about it and how nice that the damn Lakers get Howard...The Lakers of all teams, this is a nightmare! :banghead: I hope the league nullifies this deal out of pity for the Magic's stupidity. Granted, Dwight has been wanting out of there for ages and that knowledge pretty much destroys any leverage they migth've have had. How did they NOT get Bynum? Al Harrington? What is he going to do to make up for Howard being gone? So great, the Lakers are going to be ultra good and the rest of the West is going to have a tough time competing with them. I'm getting a headache thinking about how good just Nash and Howard will be together, much less Kobe and the rest of the Lakers. Of course it'll be interesting to see if Howard can keep his motivation together and play consistently well. Maybe he'll have more back problems. If he doesn't miss any games because of that I'm going to laugh! Can you say the diva was dogging it?! I used to love the way the guy plays but the aw shucks/goofy personality while he's getting Van Gundy fired and causing a firestorm in the franchise doesn't fly. However, I AM looking forward to seeing Bogut and a healthy Curry along with the rest of the Warriors squad do better next year. Now to try to get my head around Howard being a Laker....
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:57 am
Anything less then 65 regular season wins or a trip to the NBA FINALS is a failure for the Lakers (I think the Lakers could still be pushed to 7 games by the Thunder because of OKC depth)
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:38 am
Wow!!! What are the Magic thinking? Why wouldn't they take Bynum? Even Lopez and Humphries would've been better than the junk that they got.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:06 am
Magic FO pathetic. I always believe in getting the most you can for any player, let alone a superstar. I would have gotten Iguodala and one of the Centers from the 76ers and that'd have been alright. Magic deserve to fail here.

Lakers are great again, but they have everything to prove. It will only last two or three years as well, as Nash is close to retiring and Kobe some four years away as well. It won't last long in Laker land, but if they can keep Dwight, they'll likely attract more great players.

The mighty Lakers do it again and remain a top team.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:46 am
This league once again shows its incompetence. 4 teams controlling the other 26. Look at how many teams won championships since 1976. The NBA has, by far, the fewest teams compared to Baseball or Football. Baseball doesn't even have a salary cap.

The NBA should stop kidding with itself, take out the salary cap, and do it like europe. These super teams will continue to exist, but at least it won't be lying that all 30 teams have an equal shot each year.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:42 pm
Looking at the trade, Orlando didn't do well, but they got Arron Afflalo and forward Al Harrington from Denver and both those guys can contribute, it's whether they are in the logterm plans of the Magic that is the thing. Harrington likely isn't it, but Afflalo should be and he is a top 10 SG I think, Forward Moe Harkless and center Nikola Vucevic from Philadelphia, and forward Josh McRoberts and guard Christian Eyenga from the Lakers. Harkless and McRoberts could be kept and they could be good backups. If Orlando gets a top 3 pick next draft, they could be a playoff team again.

The Magic get a second-round draft pick from Denver next year, a first-round pick from either Denver or New York in 2014, a conditional first-round pick from Philadelphia and a conditional second-round pick from the Lakers in 2015, and a conditional first-round pick from the Lakers in 2017. No high draft pick, so are real faliure with that.

Orlando also will have a $17.8 million trade exception to use over the next year. It's this that cuold be the key, because if the Magic could land a great player with this money, best case scenario would Bynum says he won't resign with Philly but would with Orlando and they use this TE to get him.

Not a good trade for Orlando, but they have the chance to pull something off with this and have a good team again.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:11 pm
**NEVERMIND, SOMEONE POSTED IT HERE BEFORE I POSTED IN THE TRADES THREAD, SHOULD'VE LOOKED, MY BAD!!!**

I posted this in the TRADES thread a few hours ago :)

I know this may seem like a blow to our team, but the Lakers were going to make the playoffs with or without Howard...I guess it throws a wrench in there knowing Iggy went to Denver..but we still have a better line-up than them..and bench. I say we'll beat out Denver for a playoff spot.
Last edited by Knightofoceans on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:13 pm
Oh..and didn't the NBA owners decline a trade for Paul to the Lakers because he was "too good"? What about Dwight to the Lakers? Something's not right here..
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:19 am
They could veto the other trade because they all jointly owned the Hornets at the time. Anyways, this trade is not bad at all for them if either Hark or Vic develop in a solid player. They get three middle firsts, and probably their own top five pick. They draft a top tier player, build around him and in three years you most of your contracts coming off. And if the second deal on the table was the Nets deal, they definitely made the right choice. Magic did not make a bad trade at all. Although, it's a little bad if Hark or vic do not develop.
Next

Return to NBA Forum