Hornet fan here

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:35 am
Coming to tell you guys how lucky you are to have grabbed both Carl Landry and Jarrett Jack. The guys are not starters on a winning team but are both capable of lighting it up off the bench. Between Jack, Rush, Jefferson, Landry and the infamous Andris you guys have one of the deepest team in the league. If you guys stay healthy (huge if) then I could see a 6th seed playoff appearance from an unbiased view. Anyways, back to the original point.

Jack: The guy is a scorer. Through and through. He's a capable passer, but average in every sense of the word. His defense is also passable, but he likes to gamble alot and go for steals. This will often result in easy shots for the offense.However you will see his D improve as he defends backups instead of starters I'm sure. His three point shot is inconsistant, one game he will be a marksman and next game he will not take any or attempt just one. He has a elbow jumper that is one of the most consistant jump shots in the game. If you leave him an inch he will take it and not hesitate. He is very good at drawing fouls, but bad at finishing through contact, but a great FT shooter. One of the most important aspects of Jacks game is he is a leader. A true professional, you will see him on the floor offering encouragement to when warranted and yelling at teammates when needed. He will be the first to jump off the bench at a big play. He is a true good guy too. I bumped into him in NOLA once and my young brother wanted a picture with just Jarrett Jack, so Jack took a picture with him and then insisted that he take another as my brother's eyes were closed. A great guy on and off the court. :D to Jack.
Reason for not keeping him: Minutes for younger guys and cap space to get a true center (Robin Lopez)

Landry: Strong guy. Athletic though he won't jump out of the gym, just enough to slam one down now and then. His game is get into the post and score the ball or draw a foul. A real blue collar guy who never gives up on a play, which results in a lot of hustle plays going his way. His midrange game is existant, but barely. One time in the Lakers playoff series Gasol backed off him and begged him to shoot the ball and it resulted in misses two plays in a row. He struggles against big players, but not scoring on them. He can score on any big man in the league, but can't reboud well against 7 footers and struggles to defend them all due to his raptor like wingspan. If he could rebound at a more efficient rate he would be starting somewhere in this league, luckily you guys have Lee and Bogut to make up for that. He can't play the SF or C but he should be able to play well in a small lineup with Lee and of course with Bogut. He actually got in some trouble last year with coach Monty for not playing through injury that he could have, but I don't hold that against him. It was a hard season to watch as a fan and I can only imagine being on the court through it. If you give Landry 20 or so minutes a night, he can consistantly give you ten PPG and what more can you ask from a backup PF? You also got him on a good contract.
Reason for not keeping him: A crowded front court, that includes young guns Anthony Davis and Ryan Anderson who play the same position. Limited interest from both sides due to play time.

Good luck Warriors, you guys got two of my favorite Hornets (of all time!) and are now my second favorite team... A distant second :)

:D to the Warriors bench. If we aquire any Warriors in the future, visit HornetsReport.com to return the favor. Good luck in the playoff hunt you guys!

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:18 am
:hello2: Welcome to the board (even if you're a hornet's fan)

I agree. Both guys are not starting material, but are quality role players for a contender. The x factors for the warriors are (1) the health of their starters (notably Bogut and curry) and the development of Barnes and Thompson. If all goes well, the Warriors will be going to the playoffs.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:22 pm
Thanks HRNT for your unbiased report. It looks like the Hornets should have a bright future. I agree with you that the Warriors now have good depth and there will be good competition for all the bench spots. There doesn't appear to be any spots left for Mcquire but I'm still happy with the squad. Unfortunately we can't keep everyone.

This is the team that I can see for the begining of the season -

Starting 5:
Bogut
Lee
Barnes
Thompson
Curry

Bench:
Biedrins
Landry
Jefferson
Rush
Jack

and then for the last 2 spots:
Tyler(as backup PF/C)
Jenkins

Which leaves Ezeli, Green and Bazemore starting the season in D-League which is not a bad thing. Ezeli has a chance to develop without any pressure and I imagine that both he and Green will force their way into the team by midseason. Obviously if we get some injuries then they'll be promoted before then. I don't see Biedrins playing at all by the end of the season. There is still plenty of scoring options in that second team with Rush, Jack and Landry and good depth in every position except centre in case we get some injuries. I can't wait for the season to start.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:45 pm
One mans trash (Hornets - Baron Davis) is another mans treasure (Warriors - Baron Davis)

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:57 pm
::lol: ::lol: ::lol: ::lol: one of the deepest team.... mm i like that
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:15 pm
HRNT, thanks for signing up to provide the scouting report. Best of luck to you guys this year.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:16 am
Thanks HRNT...it's always a good thing to hear some opinions of the fans from other teams, especially in cases like this one. I'm happy with both signings and I think they will both provide a lot of points off the bench.

And Hornets are definitely looking good, not now, but for the future. A lot of young players with a lot of potential, and this season will at least give a little insight as what you can expect from those guys.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:22 pm
PAWNO wrote:One mans trash (Hornets - Baron Davis) is another mans treasure (Warriors - Baron Davis)

Or Marco Belinelli, from the other side.

The Hornets seemed to find a suitable role for him; something we didn't do. HRNT, don't be a stranger bro. We love civil repoire with intelligent fans, regardless of favorite team. We've had a few Knicks fans, Indy fans, and Mav's fans join us for short term dialogue over the years. Unless you're a Lakers fan or a Jazz fan, you're totally welcome here. :thumbright:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:01 pm
PAWNO wrote:One mans trash (Hornets - Baron Davis) is another mans treasure (Warriors - Baron Davis)

Ah Baron Davis. The first star player to force his way out of NOLA. Really dislike that guy, though he was far from trash here. He and his hideous face were the face of our young franchise and when he forced his way out and we only got a salary dump for him, I really was scared the Hornets would relocate. But now we have comfortable ownership and I'm sure you guys have good memories with B Diddy, so I won't be too harsh on the fool. Him leaving led to us drafting West and Paul afterall, and them leaving lead to Gordon and Davis... So hopefully we will do better to keep these guys around. Anyways, attempting to stay on topic, Landry and Jack are true professonals, and you shouldn't get anything but 100 percent from 'em.

32 wrote:

Or Marco Belinelli, from the other side.

The Hornets seemed to find a suitable role for him; something we didn't do. HRNT, don't be a stranger bro. We love civil repoire with intelligent fans, regardless of favorite team. We've had a few Knicks fans, Indy fans, and Mav's fans join us for short term dialogue over the years. Unless you're a Lakers fan or a Jazz fan, you're totally welcome here. :thumbright:

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I have lurked here in the past, I'm just an NBA fan in general. Love seeing the reactions to signings/trades etc. I have an account on several sites around the NBA but hardly ever post unless I have knowledge on the subject (I.E former Hornets players, much like this thread.) I also like the direction the Hornets are going, but it will be a few years before they are in the playoffs. Lots of young talent. But GS can and probably will make it next year. I've always liked you guys because of your cool jerseys, likeable players and now with Jack and Landry you jumped to second. Stay healthy and upset someone in the first round for the other "non glamour markets", por favor... Preferably the Lakers :)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:22 am
Landry is good and as a backup, very good, but he doesn't help where the team needs, in rebounds and defense. A backup big that gave in that would be a better fit and I think that only Bogut really plays very good defense on the team, with McGuire very likely gone.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Warriors Basketball