The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:46 pm
Hunter Pence was an excellent pick up - exactly what we should have done last season instead on Beltran. Hopefully we can end this slide.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:36 am
I agree... we should have traded Wheeler to Houston for Pence last year. But I am glad we have him now. I like our outfield. Still iffy on our infield. But we are a much better team than our 2010 one.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:11 pm
F*CKING GO GIANTS!!!

:headbang:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:13 pm
After game one I didn't like our chances - just didn't feel like there was any momentum. After game two, I felt like the series was over given our lack of offense and the fact that Great American Ball Park has been a house of horrors for the Giants over the past few seasons. Game three was cool and all, but a 2-1 10 inning game didn't conjure much optimism in a series that the offense hadn't yet shown any signs of life. Plus we still needed two more wins in a hitter's yard that we've played poorly at, to make it three straight to stay alive. Then game four happened... The contributions on offense and Timmy's excellent relief performance... just awesome.

I had to work today, but I was about to watch the play-by-play on mlb.com and listen to it. I was in a meeting with the CFO of our company when Posey hit that granny and my phone started blowing up.

Not sure if I would rather see the hot Cards that only won 88 games in the regular season or the Nats who are idiots for shutting down one of the best pitchers in the NL, but are still the better team IMO... I know I would like to see Timmy get a start in the NLCS. I think he is a big game pitcher, yeah he had a **** season, but 2010 was rocky for him as well and he stepped it up every time we needed him to down the stretch and in the postseason.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:16 pm
I want the Cards. Play the matchup, baby. My brother was at the ass-beating the Nats laid on us this year. That single outing derailed Vogey's entire season. I'd waaaay rather have Bochy up against managerial rook', Matheny.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:50 pm
32 wrote:I want the Cards. Play the matchup, baby. My brother was at the ass-beating the Nats laid on us this year. That single outing derailed Vogey's entire season. I'd waaaay rather have Bochy up against managerial rook', Matheny.

Good call. Looks like you got your wish too. Long road trip for the Cards - 3 in the capital, then travel to the other end of the continent for 2 games in SF.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:42 pm
JREED wrote:
32 wrote:I want the Cards. Play the matchup, baby. My brother was at the ass-beating the Nats laid on us this year. That single outing derailed Vogey's entire season. I'd waaaay rather have Bochy up against managerial rook', Matheny.

Good call. Looks like you got your wish too. Long road trip for the Cards - 3 in the capital, then travel to the other end of the continent for 2 games in SF.

The two keys to the series are Pence and the rabbits.

While I'm all in favor of Hooch's rally speeches, the Giants can't afford him to have another 4-for-20 series with no RBI's. Especially in STL, like CIN, where the ball just flies. The Giants don't have the bats to be able to afford Pence the luxury of a post-season slump. And the top of the order needs to wake up. Scoot and Pagan were only a combined 6-for-40 in the series and it's no secret, the Giants are a far more offensively potent team when those guys produce.

Gotta be honest, with the way the starting pitching is looking uncharacteristically vulnerable, I'm worried about these duels against Carpenter and Wainwright. Game 1 becomes all the more important. Let's hope the bullpen can keep looking so bullet-proof...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:32 am
Welp. Pence and the rabbits did their jobs; combining a .285 average (4-for-14) with 2 runs, but my uneasiness about the starting pitching blew up in my face as Bumgarner was flat out bad last night. You can't blame Pence for staying RBI-less with Posey and Sandoval taking 0'fers.

Gotta split tonight. Can't rely on 2 huge road trips to save us.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:52 pm
yeah, tonight needs to be approached as a must win, but the pitching matchup favors the Cards who have Carpenter taking the mound. I'd like to see a low scoring affair - pull it out in the 6th or later. However we do it, we can't have our starting rotation (once the strength of this club... month ago?) dig us a 4+ run hole. Vogeltron was decent in that Houdini act he pulled out last series, but he'll need to keep it manageable for at least 6 inning this time around.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:06 pm
Larry Krueger brought up 2 excellent points on the radio thus morning.

First, he noted that in all 6 playoff games thus far, the Giants starting pitching hasn't produced a quality start - which isn't THAT tough of a mark to get. "Quality" starts don't even live up to their namesake, according to Krukow. Giving the opposition their fair credit, the Giants have faced (to my mind) the two most potent NL lineups in the game (with all due respect to Washington, I think the Cards and Reds are both more dangerous). But to not even have a single quality start, for a team whose calling card is supposed to be pitching, is just flat out bad.

But the second point Krueger made us a little more worrisome to me: the Cards are a .500 team against right-handed pitching. Against lefties, they're winning 65% of their games. The Giants' left-handers are a huge advantage to be neutralized like that. Not only are Zito and Bumgarner a top 3 tandem for lefties in an NL rotation, but Affeldt, Lopez, and Mijares are 3 guys out of the pen that are hugely beneficial to this team. Lopez is perhaps the best situational lefty in the game, Affeldt is a guy that can go 2 innings when needed, and Mijares is pretty much the median between them (solid specialty guy, can occasional toss an inning when he's hot). The Cardinals' boppers all crush lefty pitching: Beltran, Holiday, Freese, Molina, Craig... They ALL prefer LHP. :banghead:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:54 am
2012 vs 2010 lineup:

1. A. Pagan > A. Torres

Torres had regular season pop, but Pagan has been throttling lead off homers, along with his superior average and speed. Both guys enjoyed career seasons but I'll take Pagan's bat over Andres' any day.

2. M. Scutaro = F. Sanchez

Emotional leader 2nd basemen; both showed up in the playoffs. I've been touting Scoot as Freddy's doppelgänger for 2 months.

3. P. Sandoval < A. Huff

Not to be confused with this year's Huff, Aubrey was the engine that drove the 2010 Giants. Sandoval hasn't been as bad in the NLCS, but Huff delivered constantly.

4. B. Posey = B. Posey

I'm being polite here. Aside from a salami, Posey has underperformed compared to his 2010 self.

5. H. Pence < C. Ross

Even if Pence wasn't hitting like a bag of dicks, you can't beat Ross the Boss in October.

6. B. Belt = P. Burrell

Burrell had the power, Belt has the eye. Neither have done much to help the squad in the postseason.

7. G. Blanco = J. Uribe

My whipping boy all postseason long has emerged as one of the G's best hitters. Uribe had sporadic pop, but Blanco is getting it done at a better pace.

8. Brandon Crawford < E. Renteria

On paper, this year's team should be the superior one, but the lineup needs to wake up. Somebody, please, remind these fools who they are.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:43 am
Scuturo and Pagan both coming back... their prices weren't too ridiculous either. Giants keeping the money in house.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 am
Happy about both signings, but we may have over extended a little on Scuturo. He had a Huff like season that won't carryover, but we are thin in the middle infield.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:49 pm
Its only 20 mill for 3 years. For the Giants, its not a big deal. they are trying to win another one next year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:58 pm
The second base market is super thin; you needed to bring back Scoot. But $40 million for Angel Pagan is STEEP. Guess Gary Brown is waaaay less impressive than everyone thought...
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board