Carl Landry to Golden State !

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:33 pm
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Carl Landry's deal with Golden State pays him $8 million for two years, Bartelstein says. Player option on second year.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 3552934913

8)
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:46 pm
This signing puts them over the luxury tax. They'll probably waive Jeremy Tyler, who is the odd man out, to get back under it.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:58 pm
Can't say I disagree with this signing..good job!!
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:10 pm
This does not yet put us over the cap. It also depends on how much draymond greene gets. Accorning to marcus thompson, if green gets 800k in first year and landry gets 4.0 mil, that gives us about 4.04 mil under the luxury. Again, it depends on landry and greene's contract.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:51 pm
Damit I wanted Lou Amundson. I guess Landry will do... j/k

Great signing...this offseason has been money. Our depth is gonna kikazz. Jack and Landry could very well be starters on a different team.

pg Curry / J. Jack / Jenkins
sg Klay / B Rush / Bazemore
sf Barnes / RJ / D. Green
pf D Lee / C. Landry / Tyler
c Bogut / F. Ezeli / Biedrins

Been hearing Dom McGuire's out, but not entirely if they sent a player (Tyler, Bazemore, or hey how bout Biedrins) to D League. If McGuire isn't resigned, hopefully Green could fill that tough D, versatile player role.
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:13 pm
Yeah, I'm happy with Landry. I would've loved the Birdman but Landry will do. As Rocky said, he could be starting for some teams. I'm still not sure where Bazemore fits in other than D-League. Now lets just get Rush signed. I think the FO have done a really good job starting with the Bogut trade. The Warriors now have a balanced team with a bit of depth as opposed to a team with an offensive structure centred around an undersized shooting guard. Even if they don't make the playoffs, they should be competitive on most nights and if they can keep this core together they could develop into one of the best teams in the west.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:01 pm
This is fabulous!! Sure they could have got a more defensive guy like birdman but with carl's post up game, this is infinitely better for the team than making no moves at all! We're looking at a competent pro who is a veteran like jack yet still at prime level. We have a gratifying bench now and hopefully birderins will show up somewhat, then we are golden. Sign rush.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:42 pm
rockyBeli wrote:Damit I wanted Lou Amundson. I guess Landry will do... j/k

Great signing...this offseason has been money. Our depth is gonna kikazz. Jack and Landry could very well be starters on a different team.

pg Curry / J. Jack / Jenkins
sg Klay / B Rush / Bazemore
sf Barnes / RJ / D. Green
pf D Lee / C. Landry / Tyler
c Bogut / F. Ezeli / Biedrins

Been hearing Dom McGuire's out, but not entirely if they sent a player (Tyler, Bazemore, or hey how bout Biedrins) to D League. If McGuire isn't resigned, hopefully Green could fill that tough D, versatile player role.

I agree our depth is kickass. Jack and Landry did start for another team last year, NO. These guys will be excellent for our bench squad and they will get plenty of mins as starting squad is injury prone or very inexperienced.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:54 pm
I like the signing... even though Landry probably won't play like he did in 2009, he should get quality minutes and play decent.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:08 pm
I think another angle we could look at is the familiarity that Landry has with Jarrett Jack. They both played in NO the past 2 years, they both will come off the bench here in the bay, and they both know how to play with each other. This should be great when you take into account the beginning of the season and the time it takes for you to learn how to play with your teammates should take a lot less time.

If you look at our bench, we have a lot of players that could start in this league. Before coming to Golden State, RJ was starting his whole career. Brandon Rush could easily start on other NBA teams. Even Landry and Jack started in NO, and even though they sucked together as 1st stringers, as 2nd stringers they bring a crazy amount of depth and that's something we couldn't say since our we believe years.

Cross your fingers fellas, because if we stay healthy we're gonna turn a few heads. I can't fukken wait, man. God willing, we'll finally have a team we can be proud of.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:23 pm
Im thrilled about the feasible promising future of Golden State. Looks like our owners and management are serious. So don't think that our health next year will determine our future. I think we look good for the long haul. After this year, a lot of these guys could still be here, and then a few more years we get to look forward to the move to SF. Exciting big things are coming guys.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:05 am
Hm, apparently I'm the only cynic here. Not a fan of the Landry signing, as it drastically reduces our odds of bringing back McGuire. Landry has some skill on offense, but I don't think that's what we need right now. We need rebounding, post defense, and perimeter defense. Landry provides none of this; he's arguably the worst defensive rebounder in the league (bottom 5 per 48 minutes in the entire league for three years in a row) and a bad defender to boot. McGuire meanwhile was our best defender last season, and has a top 10 rebounding rate for SFs. We need someone who can guard elite perimeter players, and McGuire could be that guy for cheap. We need to bring him back. If the Landry signing makes that impossible, I'm not a fan.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:37 am
I understand your sentiment, and in some ways I feel the same way. The issue is that we don't need a small forward. Could McGuire come in and guard some power forwards? Definitely. Especially if its someone like BJ Mullens, Ryan Anderson, or Rashard Lewis. Someone that lacks a post game. But McGuire is just too small to guard someone the like of Luis Scola, LaMarcus Aldridge, and your Kevin Loves. If we didn't have RJ signed to a 10 million dollar contract, we'd probably be more inclined to bring back a SF. Hell that'd probably be the first position we address this offseason. And here's another thing to consider: Carl Landry is the best option in free agency right now for a back-up 4. If we didn't sign Landry, the first person to come off the bench for Lee is Jeremy Tyler. Don't know if you've watched summer league, but he wasn't ready last year, and he sure as hell is not ready this year.

Although McGuire brings that grit and defensive versatility, I think in some way Landry was a bigger need. Honestly if it were up to me I'd see if I could flip tyler for a 2nd rounder and bring back McGuire. I think that'll put us over the luxury though by the TINIEST bit.

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:16 pm
I think they are hoping Draymond Green can fill a bit of McGuire's role from last year.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:25 pm
Incredible! I've been hoping for this signing since the beginning of the offseason. After the Jarrett Jack deal and now this, I think we should be gunning for that elusive 8th seed next season!

If only we can stay healthy... I'm already dreading that almost inevitable moment when i get back from school (asian time) and excitedly check out the box-score from the Warriors game, only to see that Stephen Curry only played 12 minutes despite only having 1 foul; then subsequently googling "stephen curry injury", and reading that he left the game after landing awkwardly on his troublesome right ankle and did not return....

If only....
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball