Another option.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:13 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:
Guybrush wrote:With one big difference...Diaw can score from 3 point range, and McGuire is having problems scoring from two feet away from the basket.

Diaw averaged 1.3 three point attempts a game for his career, so I'm not sure your statement is accurate. He also shot it at 33%. He's not a guy that is going to shoot a lot of 3s and he was never known as a prolific scorer with a 9.5 point average for his career. His value is passing and defense which is what I think McGuire can give the Warriors.

Excellent point, Bay.

Diaw - like Kirilenko, in the other thread - hits 3's at a low 30% clip. That's not impressive. To put it into Warrior terms: Baron Davis. Guys who insist on letting it fly, despite their crowds clamoring for them to drive more.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 pm
Towards the end of the season, McGuire showed glimpses of a midrange shooter that was mildly impressive.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:56 am
There are enough shooters on the team, McGuire is second to Bogut as best defender, but is actually more versatile in that he can guard at least three different positions. That's valuable beyond the thought of the fO it looks like and would be a big mistake not to keep McGuire. At best, the FO believes that McGuire will not get any significant offers from any other team and they can sign him late after signing whoever else they want.

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:42 am
Well Minny just signed AK-47, Greg Steimsma, and BRoy. That is one less team with cap space now. Can't see them going after Rush or McGuire. There are only a couple teams out there that could offer them more then we can. Something will probably happen soon, but looks like the strategy to wait it out paid off.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:09 pm
There are 5 teams that can offer more then the MLE:
Cleveland: ~ $33 million
Charollete: ~ $52 million
Houston: ~ $38 million
Phoenix: ~ $52 million
Portland: ~$51 million

Of those I don't think Phoenix is going to spend much money, as their roster is pretty set and just need to add a couple third stringers. Also wouldnt expect charollette to spend much, they are pretty consverative and seem content to go back to the lottery.

Only teams I think we need to worry about making a serious offer to one of our targets (Rush, McGuire, Landry) is Houston, Cleveland, or Portland.

Houston is about 15 - 20 million under, but they have like 20 players after they sign Omer Asik, Lin and their 3 Rookies.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:10 am
BayAreaHoopz wrote:
Guybrush wrote:With one big difference...Diaw can score from 3 point range, and McGuire is having problems scoring from two feet away from the basket.

Diaw averaged 1.3 three point attempts a game for his career, so I'm not sure your statement is accurate. He also shot it at 33%. He's not a guy that is going to shoot a lot of 3s and he was never known as a prolific scorer with a 9.5 point average for his career. His value is passing and defense which is what I think McGuire can give the Warriors.

Guys, you don't seem to understand one thing...he doesn't have to shoot 5 threes a game, and nail 2-3, he needs to be able to hit the three occasionally, so that opponents would have to respect that. We don't need guys who can shot threes at regular basis, we have plenty of them. The point is that if your PF can shoot the three when he is left alone, that the opposing team's PF will have to go outside to guard him and that will make room below the basket for our center or someone to slash inside. And Diaw, for instance, cause we were talking about him, can make a good decision there, to take the shot, or find someone with a nice pass for a easy two.

That's the part you don't have with McGuire, as much as we all like him, and as much as you try to make PFs ability to shot the three not valuable as much. It still does a whole lot good things for the team...and, like I explained, hitting that occasional three is not the biggest gain there.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:40 am
Guybrush wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:

Guys, you don't seem to understand one thing...he doesn't have to shoot 5 threes a game, and nail 2-3, he needs to be able to hit the three occasionally, so that opponents would have to respect that. We don't need guys who can shot threes at regular basis, we have plenty of them. The point is that if your PF can shoot the three when he is left alone, that the opposing team's PF will have to go outside to guard him and that will make room below the basket for our center or someone to slash inside. And Diaw, for instance, cause we were talking about him, can make a good decision there, to take the shot, or find someone with a nice pass for a easy two.

That's the part you don't have with McGuire, as much as we all like him, and as much as you try to make PFs ability to shot the three not valuable as much. It still does a whole lot good things for the team...and, like I explained, hitting that occasional three is not the biggest gain there.

Well, if it's how you say it is, why would we covet a guy that "hits the occasional 3"?

Does this team not have a surplus of good shooters? Also, low 30's percentile isn't exactly impressive. As I said above, it's Baron Davis status. Represents a guy who chucks it up more than he should.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:36 am
Dont know much about McGuires game, the comparison I get is he is versatile enough to guard more than 1 position, the 2-3-4-5 perhaps. A scrappy player, athletic, but doesn't have the skill set to shoot, or spread the floor, while on the other hand Diaw can stretch the floor more with his shooting more than McGuire.

One thing about McGuire is I don't think we have another player with his grit, maybe Green but he is a rookie and has to show/prove himself. Either way I hope they complete the roster soon.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball