WELCOME FESTUS EZELI

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:50 am
I guess...

2 BPG in Summer League? As a starter against scrubs? Typically, numbers don't elevate from Summer League to the regular season - especially defensive stats. Ezeli showed some beefy girth, but I guess I should distinguish better: rather than Kwame Brown, think Adonal Foyle. Big, broad, capable of blocking shots... But Turiaf and Udoh are among league-leaders in BP40. Festus Ezeli hasn't shown me that yet, but I'd love to be wrong.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:05 am
Ezeli has a pretty important role backing up Bogut. Ezeli just has to bring the energy, block shots and rebound quite well to be effective. He might or might not be that.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:42 am
I don't think that he will be backing Bogut. When you give 9 mil to someone you try to get something, anything from him. AB will be his backup. That lives Ezeli fighting with the likes of Green, Tyler for a spot in the 12 or 13 roster.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:07 am
Joe Lacob is not going to go to Mark Jackson and tell him to play AB just because he's paying him 9 mil a year. If AB is Bogut's primary back-up it's going to be because Ezeli is not ready to play in the big leagues, not because of how much he gets paid.

I agree though. I think AB is the backup 5 just because he's been in the league longer.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:14 pm
Maybe at first, but Ezeli should overtake Biedrins by the 3rd week if he continues his inefficiency. Just because Ezeli doesn't seem to have precognitive shot-blocking instincts doesn't mean he's not a superior option to AB; you don't need BPG stats to be a good defender and Ezeli definitely makes his man earn his buckets. Plus, his back to the basket game looks intriguing. I love the addition, from a chemistry perspective.

I think the best example is OKC. Epke Udoh was like Serge Ibaka; Ezeli is more like Kendrick Perkins.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:48 pm
32, mate...you really like that comparison to Oklahoma, eh? ::razz:

I think you are mistaken about Ezeli when it comes to blocking. That's his best card...and I think, with his size, and some time on the floor, he can be better than Udoh in that aspect of the game. Just remember the fact that the guy is playing basketball for a few years. He seems like a natural talent, and some great coaches could do wonders for him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:36 pm
I hope you're right. Bernard James is looking like a superior late taken shot-blocker at this point, but as I've said a few times: I like Ezeli and I love his grit.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:48 pm
TRON wrote:I don't think that he will be backing Bogut. When you give 9 mil to someone you try to get something, anything from him. AB will be his backup. That lives Ezeli fighting with the likes of Green, Tyler for a spot in the 12 or 13 roster.

Haha what's ironic about that is, before Nelly got here, that was the same argument for playing Adonal Foyle and that insane contract over Biedrins. Nelly didn't care, benched buttefingers and started Biedrins as soon as he got here. Now Biedrins finds himself in the same position. When Mark Jackson was being interviewed on nbaTV he said he'd be" disappointed" if Festus wasn't the backup center - so the coach expects or is open to him playing asap. I think EZ did pretty good in summer league... did what he does well which is play D, change shots, and good help D. I also think his offensive game has potential and won't be the non-factor, 4 vs 5 player Foyle was.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:32 am
Don't get me wrong i am all for playing the youngsters. I hope Ezeli comes big for us.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball