Any chance Biedrins could ever be effective again?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:04 am
Best thing is if Ringo is right and Bogut can light him up to get motivated and be something again.

AB I think is finished and is a mentally traumatised individual it seems. It would be awful to see him go and play properly for another team, but to be honest, I'd prefer that than the man go into some sort of exile and never be seen again. Does look like he took the big salary contract and gave up.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:55 am
Wow, I didn't know you guys would be this doubtful of him. The thing is I really believe that he could be effective if he chose to be. I don't see any heart in the way he plays. If he chose to buckle him and work harder than everyone else, I believe he could have a breakthrough. The problem is, he already got his contract. I remember here in SF seeing Biedrins partying all over the place. His head wasn't in the game, but was just enjoying his money. The funny thing is Biedrins looks like he is back on the first game of every year. I remember last year in the first GSW practice, Biedrins was working hard and the crowd was cheering him on. He even played pretty well on Opening night against the Clippers. But then as time goes on, he just becomes himself again. He looks lost out there. He put on some muscle last year. I'm thinking that it didn't help him. I don't know what to make of him. It's a big mystery. I understand that declination is normal, but 3 ppg is not normal. Actually, come to think about it, it was only 1 point per game.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:48 am
The main reason I doubt him is because he sucks and doesn't give a ****. As soon as his contract ends he is going to duck out of the NBA and just enjoy himself. Or end up like a not likeable Scalabrine.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:57 am
Stairway Man wrote:Wow, I didn't know you guys would be this doubtful of him. The thing is I really believe that he could be effective if he chose to be. I don't see any heart in the way he plays. If he chose to buckle him and work harder than everyone else, I believe he could have a breakthrough. The problem is, he already got his contract. I remember here in SF seeing Biedrins partying all over the place. His head wasn't in the game, but was just enjoying his money. The funny thing is Biedrins looks like he is back on the first game of every year. I remember last year in the first GSW practice, Biedrins was working hard and the crowd was cheering him on. He even played pretty well on Opening night against the Clippers. But then as time goes on, he just becomes himself again. He looks lost out there. He put on some muscle last year. I'm thinking that it didn't help him. I don't know what to make of him. It's a big mystery. I understand that declination is normal, but 3 ppg is not normal. Actually, come to think about it, it was only 1 point per game.

lol and WHY would you be so suprised. There's absolutely NO REASON to have hope for the guy. He doesn't want it, doesn't have it, and is through. He spends more time working on his hair than his game.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:06 am
Warriorsallday wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:Wow, I didn't know you guys would be this doubtful of him. The thing is I really believe that he could be effective if he chose to be. I don't see any heart in the way he plays. If he chose to buckle him and work harder than everyone else, I believe he could have a breakthrough. The problem is, he already got his contract. I remember here in SF seeing Biedrins partying all over the place. His head wasn't in the game, but was just enjoying his money. The funny thing is Biedrins looks like he is back on the first game of every year. I remember last year in the first GSW practice, Biedrins was working hard and the crowd was cheering him on. He even played pretty well on Opening night against the Clippers. But then as time goes on, he just becomes himself again. He looks lost out there. He put on some muscle last year. I'm thinking that it didn't help him. I don't know what to make of him. It's a big mystery. I understand that declination is normal, but 3 ppg is not normal. Actually, come to think about it, it was only 1 point per game.

lol and WHY would you be so suprised. There's absolutely NO REASON to have hope for the guy. He doesn't want it, doesn't have it, and is through. He spends more time working on his hair than his game.

Exactly.

This isn't a 6 month slump, Stairway. He didn't fall off towards the end of the year or underperform in a series of big games; it's literally been YEARS since Andris Biedrins was an effective basketball player. His foul trouble used to be over-aggression, now it's laziness recovering on screens. He used to rebound all over the floor, now he only tracks down the balls that go directly to him. He's always been an abysmal free throw shooter, but he's dropped from 50% to 30% to less than 20% from the line. He can't shoot outside 3 feet, he's too skinny to body up most centers, and (going into his 9th NBA season) he isn't improving or learning anything new anymore.

You're looking at a career 3rd string big, and that's IF he goes somewhere else after his deal expires. To me, he'll just retire, go back to Latvia, and try to be a club promoter like Rony Seikaly.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:27 pm
Unfortunately, I would have to agree with all of the above criticism of Biedrens...sigh...
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:44 pm
Goin out on a limb here - I say he has a bounce back year this year. Not a bounce back to the We Believe era but an improvement to where he is at least a serviceable backup center. He's showed enough talent in the past to get to somewhere around average.

Here's why:

-- If it's mental, that means it can change. He can gain that confidence back just as much as he lost it.
-- He's shown enough talent in the past to give you hope. Can be the W's comeback player of the year
-- He's still a relatively young player
-- He's not gonna have the pressure to be the starting C
-- The team will play more team ball than he was used to with Ellis
-- Andrew Bogut will rough him up in practice :)

and here's the biggest reason imo:

-- His decline started with the breakup of We Believe and when the reigns to the team were handed to Monta Ellis. Says a lot. I think he looked at the direction of this team and where it was going and figured, why bother? Now that Ellis is gone, and the team has a direction , has more talent, and has enough surrounding vets who know what they're doing, I wouldn't be surprised if Beans buys into it more and has a comeback of sorts. We already saw a slight improvement right after Ellis was traded and a boost in his play. We've already seen he has the capability to be good -- otherwise he doesn't get that contract -- so if he can get back to that, that would be found money cuz it'd alleviate a lot of the W's backup bigman concerns.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:57 pm
Nah man, won't happen. It's a pipe dream.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:34 pm
rockyBeli wrote:Goin out on a limb here - I say he has a bounce back year this year. Not a bounce back to the We Believe era but an improvement to where he is at least a serviceable backup center. He's showed enough talent in the past to get to somewhere around average.

Here's why:

-- If it's mental, that means it can change. He can gain that confidence back just as much as he lost it.
-- He's shown enough talent in the past to give you hope. Can be the W's comeback player of the year
-- He's still a relatively young player
-- He's not gonna have the pressure to be the starting C
-- The team will play more team ball than he was used to with Ellis
-- Andrew Bogut will rough him up in practice :)

and here's the biggest reason imo:

-- His decline started with the breakup of We Believe and when the reigns to the team were handed to Monta Ellis. Says a lot. I think he looked at the direction of this team and where it was going and figured, why bother? Now that Ellis is gone, and the team has a direction , has more talent, and has enough surrounding vets who know what they're doing, I wouldn't be surprised if Beans buys into it more and has a comeback of sorts. We already saw a slight improvement right after Ellis was traded and a boost in his play. We've already seen he has the capability to be good -- otherwise he doesn't get that contract -- so if he can get back to that, that would be found money cuz it'd alleviate a lot of the W's backup bigman concerns.

And maybe Bob Myers will swing a trade for Kevin Durant. :wink:

Look, we all WANT that to be the case. But even if you go with the We Believe theory, Biedrins had greater chemistry with Ellis than any other guy not named Davis on the team... By that logic, Biedrins will get even worse without his battery mate. I don't think his game was proportioned to the success of the team; he played tremendously better in some lean Warrior years before We Believe. To me, his game was predicated on money. Once he inked his deal for 45 million Lats, it was all over.

Mental trips don't last for 4 years, he may be young but he has a decade of NBA mileage, and he hasn't lifted a finger or made any effort since he got paid. It's not that he can't play; it's that he won't.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:56 pm
SO based to what i read it is his fault and his fault alone. I trust your judgement since you live there and you can see things we can't see abroad. If this is the case and he is just a guy who doesn't care the hell with him. To me that is a relief.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:15 pm
Maybe a change of scenery could really help Biedrins and the Rockets don't have a center on their roster. They've expressed interest in him before. They drafted Jeremy Lamb so they could possibly move the expiring contract of Kevin Martin if they got a young player in return. Maybe someone like Jeremy Tyler. Biedrins and Tyler for Martin wouldn't be a bad move. The Warriors get $9M more off the book next Summer. For the Rockets, if Biedrins really still sucks, then they'll only be into him for another season. Having Kevin Martin off the bench would make this a very good team. He could be a James Harden type, instant offense 6th man. If they could sign Carl Landry, then this would be a deep team...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:26 pm
Why, exactly, is anybody giving him the benefit of the doubt?

What shortcomings has he yet to achieve? Has he flashed any sign of a resurgence in the past 4 years? Has he put together more than 2 games of serious numbers? Or is it just because he's 6'11" and Don Nelson/Baron Davis made him look better than he really was?
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:32 pm
Every season he's like "yeah, I'm working harder to get better, blah blah blah". So far he has nothing to show for it. I don't think they even interview him anymore.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:08 pm
lol They interviewed him last year and let him talk on the facebook page to tell the fans he was going to be ****ing awesome last year.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:11 pm
32 wrote:Why, exactly, is anybody giving him the benefit of the doubt?

What shortcomings has he yet to achieve? Has he flashed any sign of a resurgence in the past 4 years? Has he put together more than 2 games of serious numbers? Or is it just because he's 6'11" and Don Nelson/Baron Davis made him look better than he really was?

lol let me be clear that he deserves zero benefit of the doubt, and I'd be surprised if he does bounce back. The reasons I listed are more based off of half glass full thinking than any logic, common sense, or any expectation that he'll do any better than he's done in recent years. But they are still reasons he potentially could make a comeback.

We are dealing with Biedrins in 3 different eras

We Believe
The Monta Years
Now

The Monta years, this team was a joke. Biedrins happened to suck during that but was good before. There is a difference now in team and franchise make-up and direction, so if there's anytime for Biedrins to succeed, it's now. All I'm saying is he has the capability to be average since he's shown it before that he could be a good center.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball